RMS Offroad Enthusiasts - Punch Hunt - Flagstaff - 25th August 2019

karl7900

RMS Regular
Drives
Touareg 3.2 V6
Dont have the lift kit in my forester yet, but would be up for taggging a long and maybe doing photos if someone would spare a passenger seat ?

Forester would be grand on some of the lighter/easier bits tho

I'd be going from Bangor if dates suit so you'd be more than welcome to join me if you weren't bringing your own vehicle

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Does the 29th suit people? I wouldn't mind it being that soon but if the like of @Andy044 and @Nicky need more time then the next dates to suit me are the end of February.

I happy to looking about the booking.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
End of Jan or end of Feb suits me. Happy to wait for the others to get their machines ready

Tinners

RMS Regular
Drives
Forester S Turbo
Either suits me. February might mean I have a lift kit but other than that I'm ready to go haha

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
End of Jan or end of Feb suits me. Happy to wait for the others to get their machines ready

You sure about that bit...? :p

IMG_0477.JPG

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Yes absolutely. If someone could bring 20 canes I'd happily set up a little course for us to try out too :grinning:

I could bring a dozen or so electric fence poles with me (y)

@saxo_man I think im the only one who trailers my landrover to these events, and that's typically because its 40mph on the road if you want to keep your hearing, everyone else gets away with driving there and home again, so with a little caution you will be fine

I drove there the last time and got trailered home :sob::party:

As you can see above, the Vitara is in bits, so I'll throw it on to the wee recovery truck and bring it up whenever we are going.

I should be grand with the end of January or even February, so if it suits Andy too, get in touch with Flagstaff and see what they have available and go from there.

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
I'm sure it's been covered before, how likely are you to seriously damage your jeep here? I still use it as a daily, as does the wife when the weathers bad!

I took my Range Rover sport there last time and it was honestly fine. Just be careful, don't do anything silly and you'll honestly be grand

@Coog we nearly need the bit that @Big Pimp went into by accident marked off with Barrier tape. Very easy to go in from the lower side and get beached.

Yes, that bit was very nearly a lot more than I was intending to go in. I think if I had've landed in there I wasn't for getting out

Last edited:

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Was on to Flagstaff, the 29th January, 19th & 26th February are free.

What's everyone's vote?

Personally I'd go for the 29th Jan but that's cause I just want to go now lol and have nothing to do (for now) other than stick the off-road wheels on.

Other dates suit me as well.

Don't want to leave ones out by being to soon if they need to do work.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
19th Feb does not suit me. The other two dates do. I vote end Feb though just to give Nicky and Andy a bit more time to get their arses into gear :p

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
19th Feb does not suit me. The other two dates do. I vote end Feb though just to give Nicky and Andy a bit more time to get their arses into gear :p
3 weeks or 6 weeks you know it will be left till the last week lol

26th suits me

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf

I've a choice of vehicles now, so either suits me. Anywhere @weeloaney can go in his P38, I'll go in mine too... And this wagon doesn't even have bald tyres for a change :p

26th of February would do though as it'll hopefully be a bit drier by then too.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
I've a choice of vehicles now, so either suits me. Anywhere @weeloaney can go in his P38, I'll go in mine too... And this wagon doesn't even have bald tyres for a change :p

26th of February would do though as it'll hopefully be a bit drier by then too.
Now there's a challenge lol, word warning the air intake is in a bad place, right behind the left headlight a little bit of water always dribbles in when going swimming. Have planned to do something with mine but have got round to it :p

Your cool springs would stand a bit more abuse than the bags.

The perfect weather is where it lashes it down the night before and doesn't rain on the day like the first time we went. Place was wet, finished the day with give the p38 a mud shower, @Andy044 unintentionly give himself one lol.

Last edited:

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
These were for sale on eBay @Nicky, reserve wasn't met and didn't sell.

255/70 r16 copper stt tyres. Just a little taller than standard tyre size. Tyres only done 200 miles apparently. Reserve was £400 I think.

IMG_0242.jpg

saxo_man

RMS Regular
Can anyone point me in the direction of a suitable bracket / adapter for holding the spare tyre to the root basket/rack?

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
A full set of ignorant off road tyres at £200 is much more appealing.

View attachment 134231

That plus a snorkel would be spot on...
Get her lifted, wasn't thinking, sure your already on 16inch wheels. Get some insa turbos on.

Thought about a snorkel but not sure I really want it on all the time, rather a more subtle look to mine. Have an idea for a custom removable setup.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Can anyone point me in the direction of a suitable bracket / adapter for holding the spare tyre to the root basket/rack?

Make 1, or get someone to do it. A bit of a plate welded to the bottom of the roof basket with a nut either side and a bit of 12mm threaded bar down into the nuts would see it secure, and then a plate wider than the centre hole of the wheel with a nut and handle to screw it down. Or else make it so that the threaded bar itself is screwed out leaving no interference with normal roof rack use...

saxo_man

RMS Regular
Make 1, or get someone to do it. A bit of a plate welded to the bottom of the roof basket with a nut either side and a bit of 12mm threaded bar down into the nuts would see it secure, and then a plate wider than the centre hole of the wheel with a nut and handle to screw it down. Or else make it so that the threaded bar itself is screwed out leaving no interference with normal roof rack use...

Makes sense, would be straight forward. I've a bit of 12mm threaded bar knocking about too