Roadgoing Series Production Car for Sprint/Hillclimb

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

big-lew18

RMS Regular
Drives
really well!
Thinking of getting into this myself, what sort of performance mods are allowed? Would probably be the road going production class I'd be looking at

Liam Shaw

RMS Regular
OP
Liam Shaw
Drives
VW Caddy/MX5
Aww you can still do plenty of stuff modification wise for the road going classes (theres 3 or 4 of them, depending on car) . Brakes, suspension, a little weight reduction (not interior or carpets though) and a good few engine mods. I'd recommend good tires and brake pads before anything else though. Better looking up the blue book though

big-lew18

RMS Regular
Drives
really well!
I was thinking of something along the lines of 1.6 corsa sport (b), vtr/vts, 106 gti. Something along the lines of the late 90s/early 00s hot hatch route. Hadn't thought into the nitty gritty of it too much yet. But it's something that I've always thought about. Something to use as a second car but up for a bit of track abuse/staging

Liam Shaw

RMS Regular
OP
Liam Shaw
Drives
VW Caddy/MX5
Would definately recommend a 106 GTI/ Saxo VTS or VTR over a Corsa sport anyday. 106/saxo good to start with because if you get into the sport and want to move progress, class 6a and 6b are absolutely perfect for them

big-lew18

RMS Regular
Drives
really well!
Vtr/s will also be cheaper for initial outlay and parts will be easily sourced. Gti 106 would be a bit more sought after imo. Where can I get a copy of the blue book?

PhilM

RMS Regular
And with those cars in simple road/trackday spec you will be in class 1 so very easy to prep for!!

Phil

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
The likes of a cheapish fwd hot hatch would be the best entry point if you dont already have something and dont want to spend a fortune, and there's no doubt it would be fun.

MX5's are popular too, although I'd suspect the likes of a VTS would be faster

Liam Shaw

RMS Regular
OP
Liam Shaw
Drives
VW Caddy/MX5
Mx5's are good. Have one myself. For £5000 you could have a 250bhp 1.6 turbo which would be some article

big-lew18

RMS Regular
Drives
really well!
£5k on an mx5?! That's more than the price of a new one isn't it?lol. My budget for the base car will be closer to the 500 mark than the 5k, unless I sell my MTB setup and gear, which I really don't want to do

Liam Shaw

RMS Regular
OP
Liam Shaw
Drives
VW Caddy/MX5
£1000 for buying the car, maybe more depending on how clean of one you want, £1000 for track modifications (rollbar, brake pads, coilovers, seats/belts etc) and £3000 for the turbo modifation done right. 1.6's apparently handle turbos better than the 1.8. Old saying goes "turbo a 1.6, supercharge a 1.8"

Two interesting videos on the subject:

Liam Shaw

RMS Regular
OP
Liam Shaw
Drives
VW Caddy/MX5
£5k on an mx5?! That's more than the price of a new one isn't it?lol. My budget for the base car will be closer to the 500 mark than the 5k, unless I sell my MTB setup and gear, which I really don't want to do
Yea but that was more a price of a proper racing one as opposed to a Road going class one. Mines would be a road going class one (although i haven't used it for a sprint/hillclimb before) and is an RS and was on £900

Liam Shaw

RMS Regular
OP
Liam Shaw
Drives
VW Caddy/MX5
There is a 1800 turbo mx5 in the road going class

Phil

Aww yea you can still do it to an 1800 no problem just the 1600 is more popular because it was actually designed for a turbo (its a 1.6 turbo engine designed for another model then it was de-turbo'd and put in and mx5). My thinking was if you turbo'd an mx5, they'd want you to move up into the other classes but if not then thats all the better

PhilM

RMS Regular
Aww yea you can still do it to an 1800 no problem just the 1600 is more popular because it was actually designed for a turbo (its a 1.6 turbo engine designed for another model then it was de-turbo'd and put in and mx5). My thinking was if you turbo'd an mx5, they'd want you to move up into the other classes but if not then thats all the better

Yup yup.

No I 'think' the 'induction is free' sentence covers it but I could be wrong. It's pretty lax about power mods.

Couple of things other have told me

Some hills require a cage:rollbar
Slicks = proper cage
No interior = no road going
In road going Engine block and gearbox have to be as per original that came in that car/model

Phil

Liam Shaw

RMS Regular
OP
Liam Shaw
Drives
VW Caddy/MX5
Road going class has to have road legal tires (or E marked tires) and that rules out slicks. If you want to use slicks you'll have to go up to a higher class and they will also require a proper cage. So your right, no one without the other. Makes sense cause the speeds will be higher. There are however some top top quality road legal track tires which are suitable. Have heard brilliant reviews about the Toyo R888. Even drivers in higher classes which have the option of slicks, use them.

Not 100% sure but I think all hills are the same rules in which you'll need a rollbar. I know there a bit stricter than sprints which again makes sense cause there a good bit more dangerous.

Yep interior has to be in place for road going class. Its sometimes the only thing that separates a road going car from one in a higher class. Some guys ran without an interior in it for a long time but this has since been enforced completely. Interior can be modified however to allow for a rollcage (ie butcher the back seats)

Not sure about block and gearbox but it would be very difficult to determine at scruitiny, but makes a lot of sense. Like it would make no sense having a 250+bhp car with a sequential gearbox and a fortune spent on it but it running in the road going class simply becuase it has an interior and road legal tires

Last edited:

PhilM

RMS Regular
Road going class has to have road legal tires (or E marked tires) and that rules out slicks. If you want to use slicks you'll have to go up to a higher class and they will also require a proper cage. So your right, no one without the other. Makes sense cause the speeds will be higher. There are however some top top quality road legal track tires which are suitable. Have heard brilliant reviews about the Toyo R888. Even drivers in higher classes which have the option of slicks, use them.

Not 100% sure but I think all hills are the same rules in which you'll need a rollbar. I know there a bit stricter than sprints which again makes sense cause there a good bit more dangerous.

Yep interior has to be in place for road going class. Its sometimes the only thing that separates a road going car from one in a higher class. Some guys ran without an interior in it for a long time but this has since been enforced completely. Interior can be modified however to allow for a rollcage (ie butcher the back seats)

Not sure about block and gearbox but it would be very difficult to determine at scruitiny

Think the emphasis is on the competitor with regards changing block or gearbox to something so similar that no one would notice! if your not at least aiming inside the rules your doing it wrong

Yes certain hillclimbs have supplementary regs that require cars to have rollbars/cage fitted for the event

Garron point I believe falls into that category.

I take it you do some sprints and hills @Liam Shaw ?

When is the next one?

Phil

Liam Shaw

RMS Regular
OP
Liam Shaw
Drives
VW Caddy/MX5
I take it you do some sprints and hills @Liam Shaw ?
Phil

Nope but was very interested for a while and have a few friends do them. Will likely do one eventually once I get a suit and helmet. Also do a bit of scruitineering (although not fully qualified) at rallys mainly and have picked up a lot of info. I do a good few lanes/targa rallys and the rules a similar in a few areas

PhilM

RMS Regular
Nope but was very interested for a while and have a few friends do them. Will likely do one eventually once I get a suit and helmet. Also do a bit of scruitineering (although not fully qualified) at rallys mainly and have picked up a lot of info. I do a good few lanes/targa rallys and the rules a similar in a few areas

Very good!

Well be great to have you in the road going class - it's fantastic fun and serious nice welcoming crowd of guys (should read cunning old hands in fast motors)

I'm a total newbie myself and I think it's a super way to put half a day in.

Phil

Liam Shaw

RMS Regular
OP
Liam Shaw
Drives
VW Caddy/MX5
Next ones the 4th of June in Nutts Corner. Would love to do it. From what I heard there might not be too many more sprints at nutts corner due to increases in track hire. Think Nutts Corner would suit my car too and would just love to get back (I used to race karts there when I was young). Although I don't think I'd go without proper brake pads and tires. Already have bucket seats, harnesses, rollbar so would be well set up for it

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Cairncastle is the only one at the minute that insists all cars have a cage. As for tyres, you need to check Blue Book and see what is in the relevant silly list, 1A, 1B 1C etc. and what applies to your specific class.
Whilst it should be as simple as E-marked means road legal, that would be too sensible and easy for the MSA...instead they make it awkward and stupid.

But really..if you're just starting, buying a cheapie to get started. Just do that, buy a cheapie. Something you dont care if you crash it or it blows up.

Usedcarsni....for £450, this has to be worth a look ?

UsedCarsNI.com - 2001 Toyota Celica motd until November 2016, 6 speed clean car

Not your average racer...but it's turbocharged so easy power upgrades.

UsedCarsNI.com - 2001 Volkswagen Bora SPORT 1.8T

If it doesnt blow up

UsedCarsNI.com - 1998 MG MGF

Or more cheapish scrappers

UsedCarsNI.com - 2005 Citroen C4 VTR

Already beat stupid so wont matter lol

UsedCarsNI.com - 2007 Nissan Micra C+C 1.4 URBIS 2dr

Again if it doesnt blow up

UsedCarsNI.com - 2005 Mazda RX-8 1.3 4dr

PhilM

RMS Regular
Yes cairncastle - I got confused

All good shouts on the car options!!

Phil

Liam Shaw

RMS Regular
OP
Liam Shaw
Drives
VW Caddy/MX5
That's the thing about the road going classes, there plenty of options car wise.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
That's the thing about the road going classes, there plenty of options car wise.

Plus other than helmet, gloves and suit, no additional safety stuff required. The suit is probably the most expensive item after the car, then the helmet.

Obviously tyres and any other stuff can be changed once up and running so costs can be spread after that. License is £43 per year.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.