Seized caliper

Ant

RMS Regular
If the caliper is stuck would it heat up as well?
Noticed a plasticy/rubber type smell from the rear drivers side on the cr-v when i got out there and the brake disc was roasting hot couldn't touch the face of it, caliper wasn't and the passenger side was grand could easily touch any of the components.

assume the caliper is likely seized? and i'll need a new one&pin kit but does it not heat up as well or is it just the disc because the pads are what's stuck against it

407_hdi

RMS Regular
Drives
E-Class / Z4
If the caliper is stuck would it heat up as well?
Noticed a plasticy/rubber type smell from the rear drivers side on the cr-v when i got out there and the brake disc was roasting hot couldn't touch the face of it, caliper wasn't and the passenger side was grand could easily touch any of the components.

assume the caliper is likely seized? and i'll need a new one&pin kit but does it not heat up as well or is it just the disc because the pads are what's stuck against it
Yes, most likely siezed. I had the same on my Merc last year and it was the piston wasn't retracting properly. I got a rebuild kit from BigRed for about 20 quid for the pair and stripped it, replaced the seals and piston boot and it's been fine since. If you're doing it yourself get a tube of silicon grease for assembling it.

Reactions: Ant

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Handbrake on the caliper or internal shoes on the disc on these?

Ant

RMS Regular
OP
Ant
Handbrake on the caliper or internal shoes on the disc on these?

Internal shoes I think with a wee grommet you take off on the disc you use to adjust it with a screwdriver
Easy way to tell if it's sticking?

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Internal shoes I think with a wee grommet you take off on the disc you use to adjust it with a screwdriver
Easy way to tell if it's sticking?

Could be that if the caliper wasn’t hot. That’s a pretty good indicator IMO.

You could undo the caliper and hang it to the side and try rotating the hub to know for sure but everyone’s definition of ‘easy’ is different lol

Ant

RMS Regular
OP
Ant
Naw caliper was completely cool to touch, disc was hot enough on the face it'd have burnt me no bother
Right enough had the odd "thunk" noise on reversing out the drive after being parked up overnight the last month.

My mechanic is pretty local to me I'll get him to have a look, saves me ordering calipers and stuff I don't need in the interim at least, cheers for that!

Ant

RMS Regular
OP
Ant
apparently needs rear discs, pads, a spring, and a new rear caliper

class... fml