Selling Motorbike Privately - advice please.

VEN©M

RMS Regular
Drives
2011 Camaro SS
Had a search there and didn't come up with anything.

Selling my 125 privately. Guy coming to view tonight, don't know him from Adam. Where are folks standing on test rides and methods of payments. have seen various perspectives on a few other forums.
sorry, meant to post in Motorcycle chat !

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
Bought and sold plenty over the years. No test ride without either a sizeable deposit or car keys and license.

As for payment I'd only accept cash or bank transfer. I did have to make 1 guy wait for 2hrs on his transfer clearing before I gave him the bike key.

Wheelchair

RMS Regular
Drives
Bought and sold plenty over the years. No test ride without either a sizeable deposit or car keys and license.

As for payment I'd only accept cash or bank transfer. I did have to make 1 guy wait for 2hrs on his transfer clearing before I gave him the bike key.
👆🏻

When I sold my last bike this is exactly what I did. Full amount changed hands beforehand and if he decided it wasn’t for him I would hand it back.

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
Drives
BMX
I’ve not sold a bike personally but if it was me I’d mimic Gareth , some sort of security, any serious decent buyer won’t take offence as any normal person can understand the situation. Money wise I’m the same, I’m very blunt with people and just say if you’re sending it via bank transfer it doesn’t go anywhere until it’s in the bank. But so far never any issues , payments usually instant

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
I’ve not sold a bike personally but if it was me I’d mimic Gareth , some sort of security, any serious decent buyer won’t take offence as any normal person can understand the situation. Money wise I’m the same, I’m very blunt with people and just say if you’re sending it via bank transfer it doesn’t go anywhere until it’s in the bank. But so far never any issues , payments usually instant

In the 17 years I worked in a bank I've never seen a transfer take any long than minutes but when I sold the Hornet a couple of years ago it took the full 2 hours to move over. Was awkward as fuq making casual conversation with the fella LOL Wasn't even much money, was sub £3k I think.

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
Drives
BMX
In the 17 years I worked in a bank I've never seen a transfer take any long than minutes but when I sold the Hornet a couple of years ago it took the full 2 hours to move over. Was awkward as fuq making casual conversation with the fella LOL Wasn't even much money, was sub £3k I think.
The brother is with first trust or AIB I think it is now and he doesn’t get payments straight away 😂

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
I think I've sold maybe six bikes over the years and just took a chance.
Three were happy not to take a test ride based on the bikes looking mint and me looking honest and decent, lol. If you seem fussy about servicing and anal about detail, they often trust you that the bike rides okay.
Others I kept their licence until they return with no damage.

It depends on the type of bike what kind of customer you get. For a 125 I would definitely get the cash first because they are likely not experienced and might drop it.

I take cash or bank transfer, which is near instant these days.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo

The brother is with first trust or AIB I think it is now and he doesn’t get payments straight away 😂

Was just about to say AIB :joy:

I took payment for a coffee machine the other week on an evening and took a few hours before it came through - was able to see from his account that he sent it and was minus the money in his account so was happy enough to let him slide on

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
The buyer of my M3 had his payment frozen by the fraud team (Santander) at 7pm at night. Took him about an hour on the phone answering numerous questions and justifying it just to get it released.

Can't say any bank transfers I've sent or received have taken more than a few minutes apart from that one. Like others above, the keys and car weren't handed over until the money was in my account. No test drives unless there was proof of funds.

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
My wife is with bank of Ireland they’re sheet outside of business hours the transfer won’t be in until the next working day.

VEN©M

RMS Regular
OP
VEN©M
Drives
2011 Camaro SS
Thanks for the replies. it was a father looking to buy for his son who wants a bike. not interested in a test ride but left without buying saying they'd one more bike to go see and would call on Friday. We'll see.

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
What bike is it and how much? My da is looking to buy my nephew a 125 for Christmas .

VEN©M

RMS Regular
OP
VEN©M
Drives
2011 Camaro SS
LexMoto LXR125. 1400 miles. 3 services. As close to mint as one can get. Advertised at £2000, will take £1900.

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
LexMoto LXR125. 1400 miles. 3 services. As close to mint as one can get. Advertised at £2000, will take £1900.

Thanks. That's over budget unfortunately, I've been looking at bikes between £1000-1500 as a max budget.