Speeding in republic

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
In one of my cross border expeditions I went by a speed van on the motorway, I wasn’t flat out but maybe a genuine 125 in 120 zone. Do they operate with any leeway ? And what’s the result if not, points or fine etc ?

althebass

RMS Regular
Drives
Model A Ford
No points, doubt you’ll hear anything at that speed.
I got pulled a few years ago doing a fair bit more than that on the motorway.
Got threatened with arrest for a bit then let on my way with a fine.
€70 and no points.

Eager

RMS Regular
OP
E
Drives
broooooom
I done over a thousand mile this week and just got slightly complacent, normally I’m pretty good at sitting on the limit. Nuisance. Hopefully you boys are right. Cheers

pizza85

RMS Regular
Drives
E92 M3
If you were reading 125 on the speedo you should be grand. Wouldnt sweat it

Eager

RMS Regular
OP
E
Drives
broooooom
That’s why I said a genuine 125 chaps, at a push

leek9

RMS Regular
Drives
GTR FD2R SiR
should be fine until the border poll results comes in.

lennyd

RMS Regular
Drives
a car
I set the cruise control at 88mph (141kph). I remember being told by a guard to keep it below 90 and you'll be grand

RevT

RMS Regular
If you’re nabbed it can be a fine and points on a ghost licence, ask me how I know. 🙄

RevT

RMS Regular
They basically create a license on their system for you to put the points against. They won’t go on to your NI licence but you’ll have an ROI one and can still end up getting banned etc down there over totting up etc.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Same as the DVLA / English licence stuff. Got one of those a few years back, they don't ever send you anything or give you a formal 'license' so it's just a way to record points on their system. As far as I was concerned, I had no licence with points or any paperwork to say I had got points so no need to tell anyone. 🤷‍♂️

lennyd

RMS Regular
Drives
a car
Same as the DVLA / English licence stuff. Got one of those a few years back, they don't ever send you anything or give you a formal 'license' so it's just a way to record points on their system. As far as I was concerned, I had no licence with points or any paperwork to say I had got points so no need to tell anyone. 🤷‍♂️
I'd to get one, probably around 07/08, for doing 78mph on a 70 stretch of the m6.

They basically create a license on their system for you to put the points against. They won’t go on to your NI licence but you’ll have an ROI one and can still end up getting banned etc down there over totting up etc.
Hope they don't get you one without telling you. If points win prizes I'd probably have enough for the caravan and speedboat down there

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Were you deemed to be travelling too slow on the M6? The average speed appears to be in the mid 80's, I never drive cars on NI plates over there, had a few interesting conversations when I did lol.

lennyd

RMS Regular
Drives
a car
Were you deemed to be travelling too slow on the M6? The average speed appears to be in the mid 80's, I never drive cars on NI plates over there, had a few interesting conversations when I did lol.
I saw the van on the bridge and looked at the speedo and didn't even bother lifting. Only a lorry in the photos of me approaching at about 7.30pm in the middle of summer. Was raging when the ticket came in

mayweather

RMS Regular
Drives
M3 Evolution
In one of my cross border expeditions I went by a speed van on the motorway, I wasn’t flat out but maybe a genuine 125 in 120 zone. Do they operate with any leeway ? And what’s the result if not, points or fine etc ?

Different world down there.

About two weeks ago I met a speed van on a hard shoulder just of a climbing lane. It’s 7:00pm, pitch darkness, no street lights….that doesn’t seem particulary safe.

Also about 3 weeks ago, during a weather warning for heavy rain, they had the Cavan bypass at butlers bridge closed of both directions, while RSA/customs picked cars, lorries etc at 5:30pm when traffic was at its busiest and it was pouring out of the heavens.

There’s rarely a day I commute down there where I don’t come across a speed van. You will get 10% leeway on speed.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Knew a few boys with more than 12 on English ghost licences and never lost the books or saw a courtroom. That was a few years back so may well have closed all that crap down.