Square Shape Number Plates Instead Of Rectangle...

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Gibonz

RMS Regular
Drives
W204
Hey guys,

i want to put on square shape number plates on my car.They suit the shape of the front end better instead of the long rectangle ones the uk is all used to.

Ive heard that ONLY the standard long rectangle shape can pass an MOT,is this true? Can i get away with the Square type plates?

Thanks lads!

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
They might fail MOT, but all that means is that ya dont fit them when the car is going to be tested...

After the test, fire them back on to her (y)

The police can only stop you and give you a warning, if anything id say...

JayT

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi A3eeeeeee
wont fail an mot as long as you get the square for a car and not for a motorcycle which is slightly smaller, anyway if it wasn't allowed the mitsi evos would be in bother along with lorries etc.......

ewok

RMS Regular
a mate of mine had a supercharged mr2 and he failed the mot for square no. plates

wingnut

Drives
S2 Coupe
You won't fail the MOT with a legal size square plate as they are on bikes, lorries, trailers etc.

sexymanda

Banned
Drives
turbo ctr,Eclips
we've square plates on the civic, and eclipse, and dayvan and to no hassles either, all legal fonts etc tho.

pulsator

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan GTIROC Re
wingnut said:
You won't fail the MOT with a legal size square plate as they are on bikes, lorries, trailers etc.

This is wrong!!

If you have certain Non EU aproved imports then you can use a square plate the sizing of a motorbike as i can :laughing: but most cars come with a rectangular holder and so have to use the correct sized rectangular plates, there is starting to be more of a crack down on plate sizes and spot fines can and have been issued because there are now a number of auto plate reading cameras up and your plate has to be readable by them hence why also only 1!!!! font is alowd all the info is on the DVLNI site you also have to have the kite mark on your plate too or a well versed traffic cop will be able to say "There's a wee fine for you lass" :mad:

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
Mike Wylies. I've never had any bother MOTing the skyline with square plates. MOTable plates will be BSI marked.

Andy

nicolec2

RMS Regular
Drives
2x Mini, 1xEunos
i thought these were only legal on cars made with them ie evos?

Jonny_W

RMS Regular
they where on my civic when i bought it and i never had any problems with the police.

pulsator

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan GTIROC Re
Anywhere that makes up plates can usually supply them to you if like me you can LEGALLY display the smaller plate then just ask for a motorbike sized front plate ;) anywhere from 5-10 nuggets

Larger fronts may be harder to obtain.

AND to reiterate the point if your car is a certain import then it can display smaller square plates like GTi-R's EVO's Subs but if the holder is modified then you MUST display standard square or rectangular plate though on producing the extract from DVLI some police forces dont seam to know this rule!

INFO @ http://www.dvla.gov.uk/vehicles/regmarks/reg_marks_current_requirements.htm

Nordonian

RMS Regular
i got a square number plate made up in joe weir autoparts portadown, £6.50 for the front plate with fully legal font to keep the fuzz off my back

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.