stupid ford!! Need help to open bonnet.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Cherxx

RMS Regular
Drives
focus ST wannabe
right so had my Focus about 6 months nows the time to get rid but i cannot for love nor money get the bloomin bonnet open :worried: been trying for about a week to get it open barrel has been greased a million times, have tried getting my hand up thr back of the grill but cant get my hands on the opening mechisim please anybody help??

RoniN

RMS Regular
When your putting the key into the barrel make sure to push it in, something the grill needs to be pushed in abit too to let the key turn.
Turn to the right to pop the bonnet then turn to the left to open the bonnet release catch and lift the bonnet.

You won't be able to open the bonnet even if you get your hand up the back onto the mechanism.

Cheers

Jamesc

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi TT, A4
My Focus lock mechanism sort of un lactched its elf and other than the gator holding it on it would have fallen out nearly. took hours of jiggling about poking it with a screw driver and hitting it, luckly i had the front grill off for paint at the time so i had full access to it, even then it was a bugger! common problem on fords.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
I've a Trasnit here and it's suffering the same fate. Haven't got round to working on it yet, but I'll let you know if I find an easy way if you're not sorted by the time I am.

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Try getting someone to pull up the bonnet at the same time, not with brute force, just incase it needs a jiggle?

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
Usually I'd get someone to push down on front of bonnets while trying the lever etc to take the strain off

Also on mondeo I'm near sure it's fully left to unlatch then fully right and lift the bonnet by hand?

Paul RS

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
Pretty sure this is a common fault on Foci. Can't rmember how to fix it though lol.

Ge0rge

Banned
push down on the bonnet when turning the key to the left then pull the bonnet up before turning it to the right.

Shaun

RMS Regular
As a few have said its a common problem i think.
Mate had the same issues and its a piece of black plastic that gets broken.

He had to cut the black plastic out around the whole lock to get it released.

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
Mark at contract autos in bangor, 07929279357

My friends focus bonnet wouldnt open. He was able to remove the lock assy and open it with a long screwdriver as its just a cross slot when its removed tho you will more than likely need a new part which is only £25 IIRC.

Def wouldnt be paying ford. If you have a ramp its tricky enough but can be done without damage to the car. Doubt he would charge you very much TBH

There is a small plastic bit that wears and then doesnt turn the lock, which is what i think your having problems with. Bad design TBH tho prob made for idiots who would force the thing so designed to break first before snapping the key off in the lock.

More than likely you will need to buy the lock kit. Tho you prob only need the plastic parts and not the lock itself but all comes as one kit

1343577.jpg

Here is a link for it on ford parts

http://www.fordpartsuk.com/shop/ford_focus_mk2_bonnet_lock_cylinder_kit_rhd_2170.htm

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
When I got the Mountune kit fitted the my old ST I got home and couldn't open the bonnet. Back to Lindsays and it was sorted in about 5 mins so I'm guessing there's a simple enough way to sort it.

Cherxx

RMS Regular
OP
Cherxx
Drives
focus ST wannabe
have tried a bit of everythign here, got in contact with that fella Mark hes gonna get it sorted for me asap :grinning: thanks for hints and tips, im about ready to take a hammer to the grill lol!!

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
have tried a bit of everythign here, got in contact with that fella Mark hes gonna get it sorted for me asap :grinning: thanks for hints and tips, im about ready to take a hammer to the grill lol!!

He did my friends and then did a couple more people who i recommeneded they go to him so he should be able to sort you out

garyhoker

RMS Regular
Drives
honda
get underneath undo the 2 ,, 10 ml bolts catch will be easier to look at then simple ....... bonnet pops up

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.