Suzuki GT500 What's it worth???

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

chrisQ

RMS Regular
As title. I've come to know off a suzuki GT500 sitting in a barn for last 20 odd years belonging to an old family friend. Bike is completely original and is complete with the original LOI registration with 11000 miles on the clock and original handwritten tax book. Engine is seized and chrome is badly pitted. I'm in no doubt she needs a full resto from the ground up. What's she worth ballpark? It'll be a bike to keep I'm sure with the work/parts req. Are these a sought after 2 stroke? I've LC's and few other classic bikes but these aren't a bike I know a lot about tbh hence the thread. Thanks folks

Dave..

RMS Regular
As title. I've come to know off a suzuki GT500 sitting in a barn for last 20 odd years belonging to an old family friend. Bike is completely original and is complete with the original LOI registration with 11000 miles on the clock and original handwritten tax book. Engine is seized and chrome is badly pitted. I'm in no doubt she needs a full resto from the ground up. What's she worth ballpark? It'll be a bike to keep I'm sure with the work/parts req. Are these a sought after 2 stroke? I've LC's and few other classic bikes but these aren't a bike I know a lot about tbh hence the thread. Thanks folks
Have a look at the 'barn find' prices on ebay and check out some of the classic jap bike groups on Facebook.

chrisQ

RMS Regular
OP
chrisQ
Thanks @David.S Had a look on ebay but only a few GT500's on there and none in similar condition. Will have a nosey on Internet today and see. Don't think it's worth a lot tbh and don't seem as sought after as the likes of an LC, GT750 kettle or triple Kwaks and the likes. Cheers

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
These are quite sought after and I know (from owning and restoring a GT550) that GTs are expensive to restore to original, mainly in terms of chrome parts, especially exhausts. Parts have got very pricey recently. Nice thing is though, being a twin rather than a triple, the engine work is cheaper. If you're not fussy about originality, you could put expansion chambers on it, ditch the chrome mudguards and do the cafe racer thing. If it is an early one with twin leading shoe (TLS) front brake, then it's got a lot more kudos. Drum brake alone is worth a few hundred if good condition. There's a historic racing scene for these bikes if they have TLS.
Engine parts are available, and a few parts are shared with other models.
Guess it's worth 200-300, maybe more if the clocks, tank, seat and all the small stuff is present and sound.

chrisQ

RMS Regular
OP
chrisQ
Thanks @Apis appreciate that. Bike has a front disc. Wee bike is complete bar the left side panel, clocks, seat, lights etc all there and correct and fuel tank seems solI'd. The fella had a low speed slide on it years ago and broke the side panel, clutch lever and gear change lever, rode it home and set it up against the garage wall. That was maybe 25 years ago he reckons and bike still sitting there to this day. Love finding bikes like that. I was thinking 200 or 300 tbh and I'll try him at that and see. See a genuine front mudguard there for £283. I thought LC''s were expensive to restore until I seen the prices for parts for these lol. Thanks

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Probably just seized from sitting around then, it didn't actually seize when running. But it would need new crank seals anyway.
I'd snap it up and make a nice brat/tracker/cafe out of it. Extra special being a big two stroke.
You'd be spending 2 -3 grand +++ to restore to original.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.