Talk to me about Saab 9-3's

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
So, with a second kid on the way I've decided I need a practical car again.

For some reason I have a real itch for a 9-3 2.0 Turbo. Ideally the big turbo version with 210 ish bhp.

Anyone had one, know of anything in particular to watch out for? I'd like the V6T version but can't stomach £500 a year tax.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
seen a few of these pop up in car searches recently, though the 9-5 2.3T with 260bhp was more appealing

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
Read a few reviews that say the 9-5''s had weak gearboxes :eek:
I've had 2 9-5 aeros and they are grand. As long as they've been serviced correctly on fully synthetic oil. The 9-3 aeros are grand as well, probably not as hard wearing as the 9-5s not bad on fuel though, stay clear of the v6t's ,vauxhall engines, garbage and parts are pricey and like to stretch the timing chains.

gpaevo

RMS Regular
OP
gpaevo
Drives
Audi B9.5
I've had 2 9-5 aeros and they are grand. As long as they've been serviced correctly on fully synthetic oil. The 9-3 aeros are grand as well, probably not as hard wearing as the 9-5s not bad on fuel though, stay clear of the v6t's ,vauxhall engines, garbage and parts are pricey and like to stretch the timing chains.
Would you know, is the manual or auto box better.

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
Would you know, is the manual or auto box better.
They're both ok to be fair, supposedly the auto can handle power pretty well. The 2 I've had were manuals, the first went to about 150k, on original clutch as well. 2nd one I only sold as I wanted to go to one car. If you're going for a 9-5, go for xenons, heated leather and pdc for spec if you can.

cupraricky

RMS Regular
Look up Authentic Autos in Lisburn. He's had a fair share of saabs and buys and sells plenty, he'd have a fair amount of knowledge on them. He'd prob also be able to get you one.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Owned a 2.0 9-3 aero about a year or so ago, the more rare 2.0 4x4 turbo with 210 bhp. Nice all rounder, very comfortable and sure footed, heavy and thirsty enough but had a decent bit of pull although most 200bhp hot hatches would be quicker. They can be mapped pretty easily though. Smart looking car with good spec, bit bland on the inside compared to modern German stuff.

Just don't buy one with the big tax like mine, it just creeped into the big bracket on emissions as it was the 4WD auto version but it was a nightmare to shift on again over here. They are a good family car with a decent amount of pace to keep you interested. Never gave any bother either in the time i had it.

IMG_0042.JPG

Last edited:

gpaevo

RMS Regular
OP
gpaevo
Drives
Audi B9.5
Well the 9-5 is ruled out. Even the 2.3 is £500 tax. Feck that.

9-3 2.0T big turbo is what I am going to aim for I think

suckindiesel

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Allroad
I've had most SAABs yeh. At the minute have 9-3 Turbo X, 9-3 2.8T Aero Sportwagen (deposit taken), 9-3 Aero 2.0T 210 convertible, 9-5 TiD Auto Vector sport and 9-5 2.3T aero auto.

Wouldn't let the big tax put you off, at the end of the day its only an extra £200, and generally the car is cheaper because of it. You could loose alot more than £200 a year buying the wrong car. No doubt a 9-5 is a better made however perceived less stylish and dynamic in terms of handling, wouldn't bother me though, I'd be in a 9-5 everytime (better value too!).

I love this particular car:

Used Saab 9-5 Saloon 2.3 Hot Aero 4dr in Lisburn, County Antrim | Authentic Autos

gpaevo

RMS Regular
OP
gpaevo
Drives
Audi B9.5
I've had most SAABs yeh. At the minute have 9-3 Turbo X, 9-3 2.8T Aero Sportwagen (deposit taken), 9-3 Aero 2.0T 210 convertible, 9-5 TiD Auto Vector sport and 9-5 2.3T aero auto.

Wouldn't let the big tax put you off, at the end of the day its only an extra £200, and generally the car is cheaper because of it. You could loose alot more than £200 a year buying the wrong car. No doubt a 9-5 is a better made however perceived less stylish and dynamic in terms of handling, wouldn't bother me though, I'd be in a 9-5 everytime (better value too!).

I love this particular car:

Used Saab 9-5 Saloon 2.3 Hot Aero 4dr in Lisburn, County Antrim | Authentic Autos

That's some collection!! Yeah was actually looking at that 9-5 earlier today. Heart set on a 9-3 though. Very few over here that I can see so looks like a trip to England for a good low miler.

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken
I've a 9-3 2.0T Aero Estate. I love it. So much so I got a new Audi lease car and haven't been able to part with the Saab. Yes it's a bit creaky here and there but it's got character new cars just don't seem to have. Plus it shifts well, loads of room, glass is lowish so kids can see out, and being cheap I don't worry about where to park or doing dump runs. So far just had do fairly normal parts - drop links, though did break two springs. Oh and an O2 sensor but all things considered it's cheap motoring.

Saabrina the 9-3 SportCombi

Brennan

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
Owned an Aero TTID Bi-Turbo diesel a few years ago, must say it was a lovely big motor, it had almost every factory extra, NAV, Bose, Xenons, the heated leather memory sports seats were supremely comfortable, plenty of poke with the 2 turbos and barely used any derv at all.

The usual Saab diesel stuff packed in, alternator went on her one night as I was driving, lost the headlights and power steering, I managed to get her pulled in and stopped, it was a very scary moment, was stranded at the side of the road in black darkness for 2 hours waiting on a low loader to pick her up.

Another time, the EGR valve went, very limited power, she went into limp home mode to protect herself. Aside from those 2 incidents she treated me well, It's a car you could very easily live with for years.

She was an 08 model, but I was very alarmed that the back arches were starting to bubble a little, so I sold her on, took a loss on her to get rid. Mine was an eye catcher, It's a motor I'll always miss for sure.

E4A862D5-D08D-4643-A39E-8394FBA0D3A1_zpssbbaberc.jpg

Last edited:

suckindiesel

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Allroad
That's mad Iv never had a rust issue. Usually just creaks and rattles and a lot of suspension stuff on the petrols.

johna3

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk2Golf/defendr
We've had 9-5s in the family for 15 years with the 1.9Tid, 2.0T and 2.3T engines and apart servicing they have given no bother at all. Mums 1.9 derv needed an alternator just before Christmas but parts are cheap, think it was sub £200 fitted.

Very underrated cars and far more bang for buck with them than comparable VW, audi, BMW etc. Petrol versions take a map well too!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.