The Final Word On...Window Tinting...

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Gibonz

RMS Regular
Drives
W204
OK Guys,Getting a new Civic soon,Vogue Silver hopefully,and the first thing i want done is a tint.I want to go as dark as possible but without hassle from the cops/MOT.Ive heard conflicting reports on the legality of it.I know that i can only tint so much on my driver side/passenger side windows but then go as dark as possible on the rear windscreen & rear drivers side/passenger glass.Apparently the MOT test centres do not have the facility anymore to test for tints as it costs too much to include testing equipment as the offences only occur to a minor number of the 24 million vehicles tested annually.See this link for the reference to the above info...http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/publications/tinted windows information.pdfI need to know if that applies to NI too as im thinkin that VOSA document is only for UK mainland centres.So guys,any input,feedback,personal experience with being caught etc etc would be really helpful.Thanks

wingnut

Drives
S2 Coupe
A lot of windows are just under the legal limit as standard. Chances are if you get any tint at all on the front windows, youre going to push it over the light requirement. AFAIK 17% is all you're allowed, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

pablo

RMS Moderator
30% according to JJ iirc. most OE are around 27% or something.

even if you got past MOT the cops have the gear to test for tints.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.