The Wild Atlantic Way.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Creaney

RMS Regular
Drives
anyone ever tackled this before?

wondering how long it took / your experiences?

am I mad to be considering doing this on a sports bike :laughing:?

WAW_Map.jpg
@Sharkey mon.

da.murf

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan 350z
Done a full lap of Ireland on few occasions on a cbr600rr lol. Awesome run. Make sure u do Atlantic drive and also the road along side kilarney Ford.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
If you were doing it, spread it out over a few days so you can stop a few places. I've been along bits of it and some great views and cool wee towns etc. Was always working though so never really had time to stop.

Last place I was down to was Loop Head taking some stuff down to where they were filming Star Wars there a few weeks back. It's like another world in some places.

Creaney

RMS Regular
OP
Creaney
Drives
how long did it roughly take you all?

could I take a Monday off work and make a start Friday after 5pm? all day Saturday, Sunday back home on the Monday?

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
You could certainly drive it all in that time...but as said, simply driving it is one thing, driving and taking time to enjoy it is another

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
You'd be hard pushed to drive it in that time. It's over 2,000km of some of the worst, narrowest, tightest lanes in the country.

Anyone that tries to do it in a few days is wasting their time and may as well just go for laps around Belfast. You really need to take the time to capture as much of it as you can, and take in the scenery and just appreciate how beautiful and stunning the west coast of this wee country really is. You could lose an entire summer doing that run, or you could do what most people seem to do and cover a certain amount of it over a weekend, then head back at a later date and cover some more of it.

I've covered quite a lot of it over several weekend trips, and although I try my hardest to get as many miles done as possible, there's really so much to see and do that its hard to make a dent on the overall map when you study it after a run.

ilovequo

RMS Regular
I've done a fair bit of this route...
The attraction of it (to me) is stopping every few miles for a coffee or a dander!
Malin to Mullaghmore is within easy striking distance and a good route for a 3day drive about...

If you're thinking of biking it - Get a B&B each night where you can dry your gear and get a decent breakfast...

Last edited:

davecoupe

RMS Photographer
Drives
S14a/vRS/Jetta
To give you an idea of how long it takes, I done Derry to Donegal Town on the 12th (in a car right enough).

It took the whole day basically by the time we stopped here and there to look at the views, got a bit of lunch, stopped for an ice-cream and a stroll etc.

Sure, you could probably blast down the coast in a few days but that sorta defeats the purpose.

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S
Creaney, I was with a few friends in Donegal at the start of the month. We took this route on the Saturday, probably about 7 hours spent doing that, stopping in the odd wee town etc. That inshot to Tullymore isn't even part of the WAW and we spent 2 hours probably going down, seeing the lighthouse and driving onto the beach. Outstanding place, probably the nicest beach I've ever been at and the clearest water I have seen. And then the climb to Slieve League is great too.

Take a week or two and do a bit of it. Would it be a couple of yas?

Donegal Route.jpg

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
It's really just a new label the tourist board have used to generate interest and highlight the scenic roads. I'm familiar with the Donegal parts in particular and there are some places where the route splits and you can take either option. So it's hard to follow it as one route. Some of the roads are tiny and even have grass in the middle. I've seen quite a bit of it on a 1150GS which is great for these roads but I'd love to do sections of it on something lighter like a 650 single or even a VanVan. Just bimbling about in an open face lid looking at the scenery and chatting to the yocals. Having said that, I did see a French fella on a Ducati 916 but I don't think my wrists and arse could handle it, lol.

Creaney

RMS Regular
OP
Creaney
Drives
i did 300 miles on my Daytona, and believe me when I say i was glad to be home lol. its great fun, but its sore on the body. I'm definitely going to do some of it during august. Just now to sort out exactly what id like to do. I've always wanted to see the ring of kerry.

@Ben 6 its just some thinking atm. id definitely like the idea of a convoy of people doing it. @Sharkey was saying he would do it in his Elise.

cupraricky

RMS Regular
I've done most of the route from donegal down and round to kinsale. Most of the route is good, but some of the roads that are in shuck hole of nowhere right along the coast can be narrow, poor visibility (due to hedgerow), and very uneven and bumpy.

Your best bet is stick the the majority but come of through the more main towns. There some class roads down at killarney national park out towards molls gap

Dusty

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda CR-V
i did 300 miles on my Daytona, and believe me when I say i was glad to be home lol. its great fun, but its sore on the body. I'm definitely going to do some of it during august. Just now to sort out exactly what id like to do. I've always wanted to see the ring of kerry.

i knew a girl called Kerry once. Great ring too, I was always wanting to see it.........

NotKG

Banned
just back yesterday, from harbour point Ballyhalbert, East Point. right round the coast to Malin Head, North Point. to the most westerly point (north of donegal) Malin Beg.
St.Johns Point.
and a lot of inland roads to basecamp. took my time and enjoyed the roads over 4 days. 9th-12th sept '16
here's a few pics. it was a very windy weekend.
great riding or driving roads

SAM_0739.JPG SAM_0741.JPG SAM_0743.JPG SAM_0744.JPG SAM_0749.JPG SAM_0752.JPG SAM_0755.JPG SAM_0762.JPG SAM_0765.JPG

20fingers

RMS Member
Drives
Golf and cb1000r
Seen a lot off bikes between Lifford and Letterkeny on Sunday, I was in the car getting jealous.

richie_mck

RMS Regular
Thread bump

Heading down to Cork next weekend and rather than motorwaying it I want to make it into a bit more of a road trip. We won’t get the opportunity to do all the route but would like to take in at least some of it.

The cub will be left with my folks in Portrush so can join in to the route as soon as Donegal but would like some recommendations of any good sections to see.

Thanks in advance

NotKG

Banned
i'd say malin beg(west) certainly the more scenic roads to the destination, then head for achill island, and on southwards.

Last edited:
Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.