torque

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

miniator

RMS Regular
Drives
'72 Mini
1.2 16v petrol punto - less torque, more hp, bigger torque curve
vs
1.3 CDTI Corsa - loads more torque, less hp, short torque curve

punto 2 seconds quicker to 60, and on to 110......whereas corsa is around 102 but has about 20 mpg more than the punto.

its odd though, because the corsa has a turbo it feels so much quicker!!

pablo

RMS Moderator
a derv will feel sharp because of the initial torque but it dies out quickly whereas the petrol is a bit slower to get going but goes harder and longer

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
pablo said:
a derv will feel sharp because of the initial torque but it dies out quickly whereas the petrol is a bit slower to get going but goes harder and longer

aww c'mon, you put that in there on purpose, didnt you? :p:party:

miniator

RMS Regular
Drives
'72 Mini
what size of TDI are ya man!!?? i doubt if you could keep up....do you realise what a weapon she is lol!!

was just an example!!

and anyways im revving the guts outta the punto to shift it whereas the corsa just merrily shoots along lol!!

big cyril

RMS Regular
pablo said:
well thats a diff arguement 5 yrs from now! We might be out of oil by then and running electric cars :laughing:

This is true - hopefully not as soon as 5 years but likely in the next twenty which is within most of our lifespans.
Hopefully because nothing will be organised to replace oil in five years hence all will literaly grind to a halt with possible apocalyptic consequences.

Anyway - I prefer diesel for everyday driving because the max acceleration is so accessible eg the Passat tdi 130 pulls best from about 1.8k rpm until about 3.5k and then tails off , but this is where you'd be mostly anyway.
To obtain max acceleration from a petrol engine requires it to be revved to almost the redline in most cases which is not where you would normally drive it.

Petrol cars are almost always slightly quicker to 60 than the equivalent diesel but I reckon this is partly because most are fwd and can't cope with the torque off the line which causes loads of wheelspin , also they usually need more gearchanges because of the narrower torque band.
However these things aren't a problem for overtaking and I suspect the diesel will be quicker at this eg 50-70 etc.

Plus , it's all done at 40+ mpg.:laughing:

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.