Toyota Yaris Headunit replacement

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
The radio on the womans 2003 Yaris has given up the ghost, so I was going to replace it with an aftermarket one.

How easy or difficult is this, the standard unit comes in 2 halves, will both of these have to be taken out and facias put in?

Cheers!

forde

RMS Regular
Drives
Vectra SRi
You can just put the new stereo into the DIN sized coin tray area below the existing one.

Or, if the existing stereo is busted and you want rid of it, you can get a facia from toyota which is basically the dash panel that has the stereo in it except instead of the stereo and a DIN slot beneath it, it just has two din slots. Its about £38 from a toyota dealer and will match the dash perfectly.

You'll need one of those cage adapter things or whatever too, Autoleads do one. They dont list one for a yaris but the Rav 4 one is the same so use it.

I suggest joining yarisclubuk.com, a great forum and this is one of the most commonly done things on there so they will definitely be able to assist you, there are great walkthrough guides with pics too.

Connecting the new stereo to the wiring in the car couldnt be easier, just use a wiring harness adapter and plug in. I have one here from my old yaris i will give you if you want, its the one you need.

The stereo is rear mounted so you have to take some other parts of the dash and stuff off then remove the panel it goes into and slid in from the rear but on the other hand you are replacing this entire panel with the new facia from toyota so you wud be doing that anyway to get this panel off.

This guide shows just what you need to do, except when he has the panel with the radio in it off you will obviously need to replace it with your new panel.

Yaris Club uk • View topic - Guide to fitting a headunit, phase 2 ( and 1 )

Ask on the forum about the facia and rav 4 adapter they know how to fit it and theres a thread somewhere with pics.

AMG

RMS Regular
OP
AMG
Drives
Anything
Thanks for the info, will probably get the surround for it and bin the standard one, no point it being there if it doesn't work!!

PeteM - I'll put in an aftermarket one, it'll be handy for the iPod etc too!!

lee-r33

RMS Regular
Drives
R33 Skyline
theres an italian company makes facia adaptors for the yaris mate see them on ebay sometimes

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.