Transferring reg to SORN'd vehicle

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

suckindiesel

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Allroad
As above, tried to transfer reg from retention to a SORN'd vehicle which is in my name, it says online the vehicle either has to be tax'd or sorn'd to do the transfer, but the online system would not transfer it for me.

Having to post it off, the rear of the retention document says the vehicle must be tax'd.

Can anyone confirm one way or another since the online system came in?

suckindiesel

RMS Regular
OP
suckindiesel
Drives
A6 Allroad
Has MOT to April. Road legal as in MOT and Tax I assume? Its odd as I always thought that, but the online system just says SORN'd or tax'd which is what the girl said when I phoned DVLA (not that that says much!).

Bryan

RMS Regular
Well I was able to tax my Cortina online and it doesn't even have an MOT so that says it all (although it is free tax) about their systems.

suckindiesel

RMS Regular
OP
suckindiesel
Drives
A6 Allroad
I'm in no panic to get the plate on as not driving it til April, so I think I will post it off and chance it - the worst they can do is return it!

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
My S60 wouldn't let me do anything with it online, but yes, needs to be MOT'd, taxed and insured to receive a plate. You can take a plate of a car which was last taxed in your name and been declared on SORN for up to 5 years, no MOT or insurance required. This is how I was able to get the F reg off my parts car for the 740.

Bryan

RMS Regular
My S60 wouldn't let me do anything with it online, but yes, needs to be MOT'd, taxed and insured to receive a plate. You can take a plate of a car which was last taxed in your name and been declared on SORN for up to 5 years, no MOT or insurance required. This is how I was able to get the F reg off my parts car for the 740.

That's interesting to know. Didn't know you could do that. I have a fair few good plates that I could use if that is the case.

Bryan

RMS Regular
The only annoying thing is that when I try to do anything with the particular V5 I'd want to use the online system doesn't recognise it. I presume that's because it was from the period prior to when the systems were merged?

suckindiesel

RMS Regular
OP
suckindiesel
Drives
A6 Allroad
Just an update on this, as it said online the vehicle could be SORN'd or TAX'd, even though its contrary to the retention document I chanced it anyway and the V5 has come back for the jeep with the new reg on it so happy days, obviously they have changed their minds with the introduction of the online system.

surprising_skoda

RMS Regular
Drives
Skoda/BMW/Austin
Can be old Blue book too, not just red one. As long as you have current document number.
The bit about being last taxed in your name is the killer though. Can't just go pulling plates off every old car lying about.
Yes, I tried...

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.