TTS Clutch

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
The clutch is slipping in the TTS so time to think about changing it. I replaced the clutch in my last GTi and did the DMF at the same time, but some folk are saying to change the pressure plate and save cylinder too. I don't recall doing these until the GTi (but perhaps did!). Are both essential/advisable to do now?

What's the general consensus between Sachs and Luk for the various bits? Can both only cope with standard power? I just put the OEM version in the Golf and it was remapped and never had any issues with it.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Sachs or Luk will be 100%, it'll have been one of them in it from new anyway.

Replace the whole lot when you're in there, you will have had all that done on the Golf too if you ask your mechanic!

Fire me a PM if you want a quote, I can supply you Sachs or Luk.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
If you're buying a new clutch, it will generally be a 3 piece kit which will consist of friction plate (the part that wears out and slips), the cover/pressure plate and the release bearing. It very rare that just the friction plate would be replaced, unless you are just getting it relined (new friction material put on to it).

Slave cylinder is advisable while so much stripping has been done, but not essential unless it's inside the box, in which case it would be daft to not replace it.

Wild Thing

RMS Regular
All of above sometimes luk will do a complete kit for the vag stuff however for some reason not every model is included so can be hit and miss

Jason

RMS Regular
It may be OE on some stuff but it sure as hell is dung for the VAG group, the concentric bearings go straight in the bin, EVERY single one i've fitted has caused problems, gave them the benefit of doubt 3 times and all 3 box's had to come out for genuine items.

Have a Valeo kit in our work Partner, vibrated and juddered since the day it was fitted.

Lesson learned is go genuine or LUK/SACHS

Richy

RMS Regular
Drives
E55
LUK supply exactly what was factory fitted. Hence why you will get a Valeo, Exedy or other in the box, only on applications where they don't manufacture the original themselves.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
When I changed the clutch on the S3 I went for:

Sachs Organic (uprated) - £500
LUK OEM Flywheel - £250
OEM Release Bearing - £40

Plus fitting

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Got the Sachs organic pressure plate already and will be getting the clutch to match.

Probably going for a Luk DMF but what do I need to get in relation to the cylinder? Knowing nothing about how it all goes together and work, is there a special cylinder needed for the organic clutch, or would any cylinder do?

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Really you're far better getting a complete kit.

There shouldnt be any differences in parts, as they should be direct swaps for OEM, but that isnt always the case and mixing brands like that, can end up a nightmare.

it only takes parts to be different by a few mm....for things to go pear shaped.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Yeah I'd always match same with same and get a kit. In theory they should all work together but sometimes they dont. Do Sachs do a flywheel?

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
I'll need to look into it again but I think sachs just do a standard cylinder to fit all theirs clutches (not specifically organic for example).

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
When I changed the clutch on the S3 I went for:

Sachs Organic (uprated) - £500
LUK OEM Flywheel - £250
OEM Release Bearing - £40

Plus fitting

That is what you need - as far as I know, the TTS will share the shame clutch/gear box as the S3 and thats what I changed in mine.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.