Very nice PG/JL install - motorised :)

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
i wudnt like it if it was raised out all the time i think it looks a lot better when its dropped down, but the motorisation is a neat touch!! and it all looks pretty smooth in operation!!

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Any of yas know of an installation boffin that can do motorised installs?

Wouldnt mind something trick for the 4 amps i have planned in the boot :p

Just tossing ideas, but would be good to know if anyone local(N.I.) has tried it so i can see their work (y)

(And yes, i do tend to dig up these ancient threads alot, im just bored)

Reactions: dub

-Pete-

RMS Regular
get couple of servos and then design the mechanism yourself if its just something simple youre after, i would say plenty could give ti a go but pulling it off is tha hard part. id happily give it some thought but ive far too much on right now with work etc :worried:

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
with enuff time an play at it its possible, but gettin a nice smooth operation is wat ur up against :worried: easiest way is by pneumatic or hydraulic with jus electronic controls an switches but its not cheap and not particularly lightweight either, altho it wud look rather splendid

seems to be all too common in the US wit fek all really done on it over ere :worried:

-Pete-

RMS Regular
i would use an electric ram type device, seems to be very popular too. although its taking the time for something so flashy it would be hard to make it sound excellent too.

it can sometimes be a comprimise with these things

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
problem with an arm is youre limited by the stroke of the arm itself. with a belt you just keep on screwing till it gets where u want it :grinning: be a nice smooth motion too

-Pete-

RMS Regular
the motor would also have to be stronger and pulley sizes to consider in order to get the right speed etc come into it

although if someone was doing it whatever works best ! ;)

Reactions: dub

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
I work with stepper motors in work. About £200 would see the electronics and the beltgear to lift a panel up. need to gear up the torque for lifting amps up etc :p

-Pete-

RMS Regular
pablo said:
I work with stepper motors in work. About £200 would see the electronics and the beltgear to lift a panel up. need to gear up the torque for lifting amps up etc :p

haha well you would know plenty more than me about stepper motors then! :laughing:

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
thats why Im thinking belt driven - relatively cheap and can handle a little weight:grinning:

Bilal

RMS Regular
Drives
Tesla Y
@ Pablo when ya gettin an install i think the M3 needs it to finish it off :grinning: looks really well needs few extra bits n bobs

Jason MacQ

RMS Regular
You could cheat....

Get the mechanism for the likes of the new VW or Lexus bootlids which are mechanically opened for you (the ultimate height of laze, but i guess these upper class folk couldnt get their fingers dirty closing it if they havent sent their PA to the car wash with it).

Attach your amp rack to the inner skin of the bootlid using a bit of 8 guage power cable or the likes to make it look 'in-fitting' and thus, it opens with the lid.

Or attach it directly to an amp rack and keep your manual labour bootlid.

Id say youd ebay or scrapyard find one for well under the aforementioned £200 given time.

Audio Advice Iain

Drives
Zafira GSi
Simons wee Swift

I never got to see the install very much but I did Judge it for SQ on a few occasions when Simon was competing with it. He has since moved on to an old Mini Estate. It's really cool and is supposed to sounds pretty awesome too. Haven't heard it yet though ;)

He's a good lad - really likes building everything himself and likes to make it a bit different from the 'norm'

http://www.bbg.eu.com/press/Mini.pdf

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.