Warranty company? Any recommendations

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
I have a warranty direct policy on the discovery. Paid out for 2 front arms today as the bushes were worn. Check the small print and decide for yourself. I'm coming to the end of my 2nd year with them and this is the first year it's been financially beneficial. But I do like the peace of mind that if the disco lies down on me, they will cover recovery, a hire car and hopefully the repair. I've also negotiated zero excess on the policy which meant £50 more on my years premium but saves me £50 per claim.

m00k

RMS Regular
OP
m00k
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
Ended up not bothering they were looking £400 for the year then when I showed bugger all interest instant drop to £200

Quick google and the company reviews were dire think it might have been auto guard so will hope for the best lol

jimcupra

RMS Regular
Put that 400 away and do what I do. Mine just took a battering there 250 out of it. I will put 30 a week on til it's back to 400, I just hope nothing else breaks :worried:
Ended up not bothering they were looking £400 for the year then when I showed bugger all interest instant drop to £200

Quick google and the company reviews were dire think it might have been auto guard so will hope for the best lol

neil-c

RMS Regular
Bump this one up...

Does anyone have any recommendations for a 3rd party warranty?? Specifically people who have made a claim as that's when it usually goes to pot! It's for a 2015 f80 M3 with 48k miles.

From my RMS thread trawl:

I see that WarrantyWise have a lot of bad reviews online and @300trophy said he wouldn't recommend them in another thread.
@Lyons you've taken out a few extended warranties. Have have you made any claims?
@swansty would you still recommend Warranty Direct?
@MarkM who was your BMW extended warranty with, did you make any claims?

Lastly AutoProtect have been mentioned a few times but seem to be a dealer only option. And I just tried to get a quote from WarrantyDirect online but it says they won't quote for my car type- I'll try to call them directly to see if they can do anything.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
@neil-c warranty direct were good for me. The owner has since sold it and moved on to set up a new company, motoreasy. I used them when my car exceeded WD’s age threshold. Had to make a few claims and wasn’t impressed. Took far too long to get a decision, all the while your car is at the garage, probably taking up ramp space. Once I had claimed the policy value, they started rejecting claims, even on covered parts. There get out clause is that the part has to suffer a “sudden failure”. They used this to avoid paying out on failed suspension bushes and a torn cv boot. All the time while advertising they cover “wear & tear”. So avoid them. Not sure what WD is like now as I haven’t used them for a few years but they were good.

MarkM

RMS Regular
Bump this one up...

Does anyone have any recommendations for a 3rd party warranty?? Specifically people who have made a claim as that's when it usually goes to pot! It's for a 2015 f80 M3 with 48k miles.

I see that WarrantyWise have a lot of bad reviews online and @300trophy said he wouldn't recommend them in another thread.
@Lyons you've taken out a few extended warranties. Have have you made any claims?

Lastly AutoProtect have been mentioned a few times but seem to be a dealer only option. And I just tried to get a quote from WarrantyDirect online but it says they won't quote for my car type- I'll try to call them directly to see if they can do anything.

Mine was BMW extended warranty, basically a continuation of the factory 3 year. The only time it was used was when it was in for a service, Country garage found the high tone horn not working and changed it, I didn’t have to do anything.
I’m not a fan of the aftermarket warranties, there always seems to be important things not covered, with BMW you can chooser full cover or just the drivetrain cover.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Bump this one up...

Have you priced a BMW one online? No idea how much it is for an M car, but the 335i was circa £700 and the 435d is the same. An X5 is £1500 though. Would be worth checking.

I’ve had a few claims under the Auto Protect ones, but I’m not sure if you can take a policy out directly, mine were through Agnews Audi.

I’ve also had an RAC one that came with the X3. It covered the transfer case without any hassle, and my mechanic had said he’s done quite a few claims through them for customers.

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
It would be worth speaking to BMW about their own extended warranty given it is for a M car. They are quite comprehensive in what they cover.

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
Interested in this also, we've just bought a used Q7 and are considering taking out a warranty. One thing that surprises me is that none of them ask for the mileage the car will be doing every year, we will only be doing 6/7k miles a year in it. The Audi/AutoProtect 3 year warranty is £2,300 and RAC PremiumPlus is £1,350, thats a huge difference!

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Jeepers, I’m surprised the Audi one is so dear.

How much is 1 year?

Christopher

RMS Regular
Drives
Skyline GTR
i bought a used C63 last year from a dealer who offered RAC warranty on it. we upped the value to the hightest one he was offering. Shortly after the dreaded headbolts went on it. He used the RAC warranty to claim back around £2300. The steering pump also went on it and again used it to claim £340

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
Currently sat here in Audi having the conversation, your warranty expires in Feb. Would you like to extend?

They've already dropped the price by £1.5k, YES you read it right, dropped by £1.5k due to my outburst of expletives when they gave me the first quote 🤣

A6Avant

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Avant
I have a warranty with Handler Protect. Never heard of them, never had to use them but it was given with the car when i bought it, for 18 months, so I took it. Come August when it expires I might look about an Audi warranty... if I'm still eligible

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
I have a warranty with Handler Protect. Never heard of them, never had to use them but it was given with the car when i bought it, for 18 months, so I took it. Come August when it expires I might look about an Audi warranty... if I'm still eligible
3 - 6 years old and less than 100,000 miles to be eligible, or so they've told me. My car is 3 years old in Feb.