Where can I get insurance for a new Civic Type R?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Unlight

RMS Regular
Hi guys,

I want to purchase one of the new Civic Type R's.

Only problem is, insurance! Best quote so far is Direct Line, with £1500 with my partner as a named driver. (Both 24, 2 yrs no claims).

Greenlight wont insure me under 25.. any other suggestions? Dont want to be paying such a big whack on insurance only!

casper-ac

RMS Regular
confused.com will give you a wide spread of quotes, could be helpful
Try NFU mutal too

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
I dont think £1500 is too dear considering the type of car (theft), its value and your age/NCD.

Unlight

RMS Regular
OP
U
Apparantly they dont insure any under 25's on Type R's any longer!

Anyone from Greenlight??

Terry

RMS Regular
Drives
Carefully
I'd try confused.com too and maybe try taking a higher excess with a fully comp policy to bring it down a bit.

coyler

RMS Regular
Drives
3ORA
some people say get a registration number and tell them you have already bought the car and they will give you a quote then. quinn direct told me they dont insure them and people like jonny_w has his insured through them.

Tony@Greenlight

RMS Trader
Drives
Mini Cooper S Wk
Hi People,

Just to Clarify, we do cover an awful lot of Honda CTR's for drivers of all ages thus have plenty of exposure and experience of these models.

Historically we covered drivers 21+ on CTR models, but due to poor claims experience for 3 consecutive years through loss of control incidents the underwriter imposed a performance car experience requirement early last year with a view to curbing this situation.

Unfortunately the situation didnt improve and in order to retain the ability to still quote for these vehicles at all we have had to exclude drivers aged 21-24 on these model vehicles.

Claim wise, they mainly consist of total loss/write off claims at an alarmingly high frequency.

Having personally owned a CTR some 2 years ago I found that tyre wear was common and grip in wet or icy conditions was poor compared to other vehicles that I have driven.

We have some experience of the new CTR GT, which does seem to be a better proposition. It's a bit heavier than the prior model and has better safety features, so it's likely that we will be more competitive for the new model than we currently are for the original CTR.

Anyway.. to answer your question, we can currently only quote CTR model vehicles for drivers aged 25+ with NCB in their own name.

Kind regards

Tony

Apparantly they dont insure any under 25's on Type R's any longer!

Anyone from Greenlight??

Jonny_W

RMS Regular
some people say get a registration number and tell them you have already bought the car and they will give you a quote then. quinn direct told me they dont insure them and people like jonny_w has his insured through them.

true mate, i have my CTR insured with Quinn and they have also just sent me a renewal quote for 2weeks time which is also very very good. but they did tell me at the start that they dont insure CTR's at all.

Jonny

OLLIeCrX

RMS Regular
Drives
C63 AMG
quinn direct are offically crap IMO, they near **** themselves at the thought of insuring the motor i`m hoping to buy, so i`m just cancelling my policy and going to direct line. luckily with 9 yrs NCB its no big deal, but direct line are also £250 cheaper than any other company.

greenlight also quoted me , dearer than directline, but still vey good compared tot eh rest, i`ll probably use directline for a year to recover from the buying experience and then switch to greenlight once i start modding

i also tried the "i`ve bought it and am going to collect it line" ... to which they said "sorry sir, we cant insure that car".. yet i could technically drive it under my 3rd party extension... bloody fools

and rumour has it trying to get a claim payout from quinns is like trying to find a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow.. it just cant be done..

Paul RS

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
I've just changed my insurance over the the cossie and i don't own it yet? Was no problem for greenlight to do for me.

OLLIeCrX

RMS Regular
Drives
C63 AMG
sorry, i meant that was quinn direct, just incase someone thought i meant greenlight, as i appear to have skitted about a bit in that last post...

un helpful on the phone and overall irritating that they wont insure me on a UK model car, 1 group lower than the one i currently own.. greenlight quoted it nay sweat :grinning:

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
Anyway.. to answer your question, we can currently only quote CTR model vehicles for drivers aged 25+ with NCB in their own name.

Kind regards

Tony

Tony I was hoping to change over to yourselves at renewal time in January for a Type R (which is due to arrive any time now) but I wouldnt be 25 till March. Is there any leeway with the above or is it black and white? I would have 4 years NCD and a clean lisence.

Thanks

Tony@Greenlight

RMS Trader
Drives
Mini Cooper S Wk
Hi Gee,

If it's a case of 2 months, you have good experience and already own the car (which is due for renewal) then im fairly confident that we'll be able to refer an get this agreed with the Underwriter.

If you PM me once you get your renewal through i'll start thing rolling for you.

Kind regards

Tony

coffey

RMS Regular
Drives
honda civic
and rumour has it trying to get a claim payout from quinns is like trying to find a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow.. it just cant be done..

they paid out on mine within one week...and i hadnt even declared spoiler yet

lucky

simonmr2

RMS Regular
Drives
Type 116 Turbo
Give Adrian Flux in England a bell he will insure anything. He insured me with all my mods for 1K which is damm good.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.