Where do I stand?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

ToDoRon

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda CB500f
Had a visit from the police yesterday as one of my lovely neighbours has complained to the council that my car is on axle stands and is "unsafe". The car has been on the stands for a while and I'm generally working on it during the odd patch of good weather. It's taxed and insured and is on the correct jacking points so is not going to fall off - which the police agree with. It's not MOT'd though with no wheels, it's not exactly on the road. What I want to know is what will the council do if anything? I'll not be finished and have it back on the road for awhile yet and the police didn't seem concerned but Belfast City Council being Belfast City Council will probably want to interfere in some way. What can they do?

ToDoRon

RMS Regular
OP
ToDoRon
Drives
Honda CB500f
It's on the road (on axle stands) out the front of my house. The only thing that'll knock it off is being hit by a passing car/van/truck which would obviously be the drivers fault. The kids aren't anywhere near it and it can't be moved as the wheels and brakes are off it.

Richy

RMS Regular
Drives
E55
To be honest, I wouldn't be too happy about my neighbours doing that either.

I could probably knock a car off axle stands with a good doze and I know they're fairly safe. Wouldn't leave one sitting out in the street on stands tho.

Stu Beck

RMS Regular
If its not motd it shouldnt be on the road. So the council could prob lift it or inform the cops and get a fine.

ToDoRon

RMS Regular
OP
ToDoRon
Drives
Honda CB500f
I suppose I could SORN it and not pay tax every month. The police were happy enough with it, my impression from them was they had more important things to do than torture a fella working on getting a car ready for going back on the road.

ToDoRon

RMS Regular
OP
ToDoRon
Drives
Honda CB500f
It weighs near 2 tonnes. It ain't going nowhere...literally lol

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Since it's "technically" on the road, and not on your private property the council would probably have the right to remove it if complained about enough.

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR
I suppose I could SORN it and not pay tax every month. The police were happy enough with it, my impression from them was they had more important things to do than torture a fella working on getting a car ready for going back on the road.

Can't be on the road and SORN unfortunately either. I'm sure since you're fixing it and you have no other place to park it, you'll probably get some leeway (?) especially since it's currently taxed and insured.

How long has it been there?

ToDoRon

RMS Regular
OP
ToDoRon
Drives
Honda CB500f
A year in November.
Can't be on the road and SORN unfortunately either. I'm sure since you're fixing it and you have no other place to park it, you'll probably get some leeway (?) especially since it's currently taxed and insured.

How long has it been there?
A year in November.

s3_trev

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3 8P
To be fair that is a braven long time for a car to be sitting on axle stands outside your drive. I can see the issue your neighbor has with it. If there is even the slightest of chances it could in anyway fall over on a child or even a small dog, I dread to think on the consequences. The things weins get up to nowadays its not much a stretch of the imagination to think a ween of them could push a car over on top of themselves by accident.

colin84

RMS Regular
You should change the title to "where do I axle stand?" :grinning:

I would get things moving because I'm sure it's not the last you will hear of it, especially if the neighbours see that nothing has been done about it.

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
Can you not just bolt the wheels on and let it sit in the same place. Will take all of 10 mins to jack up and put them back when you want to work on it.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.