Who's at fault?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

j.o.h.n

RMS Regular
Drives
Mitsi L200
A friend was involved in a minor crash in Lisburn at the junction of Laganbank Rd and Sloan Street.

Both cars stopped at red lights one on Sloan Street the other to its right on Laganbank Rd.
The lights turned green on Sloan Street but due to traffic the car didn't make it on to Laganbank Rd the lights then changed, giving the car on Laganbank the green light. At the same time the traffic started to move and the car on Sloan Street continued onto Laganbank into the path of the car already on Laganbank which ended up driving into the rear quarter panel of the car coming from Sloan Street.

So who's at fault should the car on Sloan Street have waited on the next green light or should the car on Laganbank have waited until all the cars were out of Sloan Street?

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
A drawing or something might help explain better

But.... you should not proceed, unless the road ahead is clear.

And you should not drive into other cars regardless....ie, people need to use their ****ing eyes when driving.

It sounds like you're saying someone actually driving forwards drove into the rear/side of another car.....which kind of simplifies the whole thing.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Green only means go when its safe to do so. I've seen so many eejits floor it at a green light and aim for people who were a bit silly and found themselves caught out at a junction. Bizarre behaviour.

The fact that the person hit the rear 1/4 panel of the car from Sloan Street would say to me that the one coming from lagan bank road was driving like a bit of an arse and were at fault.

Now, which ones your 'friend' and which one was the other motorist? :p

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
Is this the junction you're talking about (I appreciate it's not the best):

Always hated this 'roundabout' myself. But as @stevieturbo says people need to look around them and actually see if it's clear before proceeding.

I assume Laganbank Road is the main one running across the picture. If so the stop line is a good bit back from the Sloan Road intersection.

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
If they're coming from the laganbanknroad from right to left on that pic problem being that there is a fair distance after the my pass their lights before they reach the Sloan street joining point

They could have passed the lights and line on a green and then the time delay the other lights have changed

Imo it would be the person coming from Sloan street in that case at fault

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
The fact they 3rd party hit the 1/4 panel would suggest they had time to see the vehicle and react, HOWEVER,

Your "friend" who is already in the junction was quite right to proceed as they where already in the junction, but you need to treat it as a give way. It may even be argued that you shouldn't enter the junction until the exit is clear.

I know at a filter light, if you are over the line when the light changes to you are free to carry on, at a junction like that, I wouldn't be so sure....

j.o.h.n

RMS Regular
OP
j.o.h.n
Drives
Mitsi L200
Is this the junction you're talking about (I appreciate it's not the best):

Always hated this 'roundabout' myself. But as @stevieturbo says people need to look around them and actually see if it's clear before proceeding.

I assume Laganbank Road is the main one running across the picture. If so the stop line is a good bit back from the Sloan Road intersection.

That's the junction, from what I can gather the car on Sloan Street was waiting past the lights (about where Sloan St is printed on the map) when the lights changed, but they thought they had right of way and continued onto Laganbank Rd into the path of the car coming down Laganbank who thought they had right of way.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.