Wtd lend of chain tool

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

surprising_skoda

RMS Regular
Drives
Skoda/BMW/Austin
Hi, has anyone got a chain riveter tool I could borrow? For a did 525vx chain with solid link.

Hesitant about paying £35 for a tool I'll use once only.

DriftnSlide

Banned
Drives
S60 D5 SE
I've one if you need it, but I'm a bit far from Dungannon.
A grinder to remove old pin heads and a punch/screwdriver to push them out, as ken has said, two hammers to flair the new ones.

Mark_C

RMS Regular
I think I've got one at the folks place - I've moved to clonmore so I'm literally round the corner from you now.

FAKER

RMS Regular
Drives
loadsa stuff
Ken you know I've quite the collection of tools. I don't use any of them! But I've got them!

surprising_skoda

RMS Regular
OP
surprising_skoda
Drives
Skoda/BMW/Austin
Appreciate whoever sent their brother (I think) round, must have been you mark, typically the day after one arrived off of Ebay...

surprising_skoda

RMS Regular
OP
surprising_skoda
Drives
Skoda/BMW/Austin
The one I got off ebay was rubbish and failed. So I got a replacement and that too has failed. Can I ask again if anyone would be so kind to lend me one?

DriftnSlide

Banned
Drives
S60 D5 SE
How have they both failed ? Are they bending the handle or stripping the threads ?
If this is the case then its because you haven't ground off the pin ends on the link.
I don't mean to sound patronising but its amazing how many people do the same thing..

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
I'll be honest, it's why I wouldn't lend mine out, because it's so common for people to break them, even a good one.

surprising_skoda

RMS Regular
OP
surprising_skoda
Drives
Skoda/BMW/Austin
I'm a long way past getting the pins out (or bending two chain tools doing that).

It's riveting the new link in. It's a hollow link on a DID 525VX chain and the DID specific tool is collapsing under the pressure, pressure which is required to compress the end over into a rivet head. It's a fault of poor quality, inherent in buying a cheap tool. Every tool, from £13 to £73, inc Sealey ones, are weak cast. The only one that mentions being hardened is the Draper Expert offering, but thats some 260 pounds. M&P don't even have one on offer, and they sell the DID chains by the bucketload. I'd forgotten why M&P annoy me so much. That's where the chain and sprocket set came from.

Getting close to the fabrication stage. All to peen over the heads of two tiny hollow tubes. Ridiculous.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
I'm a long way past getting the pins out (or bending two chain tools doing that).

It's riveting the new link in. It's a hollow link on a DID 525VX chain and the DID specific tool is collapsing under the pressure, pressure which is required to compress the end over into a rivet head. It's a fault of poor quality, inherent in buying a cheap tool. Every tool, from £13 to £73, inc Sealey ones, are weak cast. The only one that mentions being hardened is the Draper Expert offering, but thats some 260 pounds. M&P don't even have one on offer, and they sell the DID chains by the bucketload. I'd forgotten why M&P annoy me so much. That's where the chain and sprocket set came from.

Getting close to the fabrication stage. All to peen over the heads of two tiny hollow tubes. Ridiculous.

I wouldn't get concerned about looking for one that says "hardened". Hardening would only refer to the hardness of the anvil face itself, not the whole product. Nor would you have to insist on a DID style tool. It's just a marketing thing really. Any style would do as long as the anvil fits a hollow rivet.

surprising_skoda

RMS Regular
OP
surprising_skoda
Drives
Skoda/BMW/Austin
I'm not a tool, if that's what you mean.

Hardened cast will mean the tool will not bend under pressure, which is exactly what the cheap one is doing.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.