WTD: Mk4 golf rear wiper motor.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Marc

RMS Moderator
have you tried taking it apart, cleaning out the rust, re-greasing and putting back in car.. done mine about a year ago and its worked perfect since

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
nope lol. it was working ok, then got stuck the odd time and needed a push, and now wont move at all.

Bazmcc

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Bora
I might have one here. Will need to check. If I don't then I'll have it shortly as we've flushed the rear hatch on my mate's golf.
Baz

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
popped mine off there at lunchtime and opened it up. omg the crap inside it!

Will try cleaning it up a bit and hope the motor isnt dead. Given how bad it was I think buying a new one might be a better option.

Let me know anyway Baz if you have one available.

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
you might be right, it was a little bit brown around the connector so will need to take care of that too.

5bf8aaa8.jpg

Bazmcc

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Bora
Tis a bit crusty alright.

Are you sure that isn't the back wiper motor of an old salty sea vessel?

Marc

RMS Moderator
mine was similar to that.. cleaned it up, re-greased it, fixed the nozzle with some copper brake pipe and a soldering iron.. job done :laughing:

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
will test it later. with the cover off the motor should be free to move without turning the big wheel. If it cant, then its for the bin I guess.

Marc

RMS Moderator
I wouldnt.. it might be difficult to get it back to the same place the cog currently is.. and it might have some sort of memory going on, otherwise you may end up wiping the boot!

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
thats a fair point. but it may be too late for that lol :oops: as i was moving the big wheel around to see if it would turn.

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
Well tested the motor and it was spinning ok, so reconnected it to the big wheel. it must have sensors in it as it moved to the right place then moved perfectly in 180 degree arcs. Cleaned and greased (LOTS of grease) the wheel, and little geared arm and reassembled. As Baz predicted the pipe was indeed split, so cut it off and made up a joining pipe.

e4545a13.jpg

Marc

RMS Moderator
goob job....

did you check to see if the inner brass pipe is split? thats what went on mine filling the inside up with water causing the rust

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
brass pipe seemed ok, water coming through nicely now. Siliconed in the black pipe connector anyway just in case but think now I should have done the inside of it too. Ah well I can always open it again if it stops working.

Saved myself £70 for a new motor, good call Marc!

@ Baz: headlining is near enough black anyway :p

Marc

RMS Moderator
brass pipe seemed ok, water coming through nicely now. Siliconed in the black pipe connector anyway just in case but think now I should have done the inside of it too. Ah well I can always open it again if it stops working.

Saved myself £70 for a new motor, good call Marc!

@ Baz: headlining is near enough black anyway :p

no problem.. you can drop that score through my letterbox :party::party::party:

big cyril

RMS Regular
Thread resurrection - my rear wiper didn't work since I got the car. Fuse ok,also there was 12v at two of the four pins so assumed it was the motor.
Put in a replacement motor this afternoon, still not working :confounded:
Pulled the rubber boots back which hold the loom beside the tailgate hinges on each side - the left one had a wire completely cut which when fixed made the wiper work:laughing:
The reason for posting this is that a google search on the problem brought up this thread on rms so thought it worth mentioning in case anyone else ends up here with a similar problem.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.