Yella Firestorm

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Matti_f

RMS Regular
Drives
van,Tucson,TTid
Sold my cup earlier this week and roughly two days later arrived home with this.

Always had a soft spot for twins my dad has had plenty including two VTRs and a tl-s this is a cat c but cleaner than ever "honest" bike I looked at has a few tweaks already and is fairly clean but it is a 16 year old bike so it's not mint but it will get there.

Plans are just enjoy over the summer then over the winter strip clean paint and we will see what else takes my fancy.

Only a couple of pictures so far.

Me and my youngest

My mum also pulled out this cracker when I brought it to theirs to store, my dad and I in about 91/92 with his fz750

All tucked up at my parents with my dad's wing

Will update as I go along all comments welcome

fabiostar

RMS Regular
Drives
nice looking storm. i think i was talking to the previous owner of that a few weeks ago. get the ccts changed soon as you can, if they let go they will trash your whole engine.

Matti_f

RMS Regular
OP
Matti_f
Drives
van,Tucson,TTid
nice looking storm. i think i was talking to the previous owner of that a few weeks ago. get the ccts changed soon as you can, if they let go they will trash your whole engine.

Quite possibly seems it changed hands twice very quickly in the last couple of months.

It has been exchanged for a newHonda unit recently however I will have it swapped out for a manual adjuster. This is the fourth storm in our family so we are well used to their needs, dad had one of first out of Honda Belfast and put 20k on it in a year which result in the cam chain failing a grenadine the engine on the m2

Matti_f

RMS Regular
OP
Matti_f
Drives
van,Tucson,TTid

Quite possibly seems it changed hands twice very quickly in the last couple of months.

It has been exchanged for a newHonda unit recently however I will have it swapped out for a manual adjuster. This is the fourth storm in our family so we are well used to their needs, dad had one of first out of Honda Belfast and put 20k on it in a year which result in the cam chain failing a grenadine the engine on the m2

fabiostar

RMS Regular
Drives
ah ha you know the score with them then? i have to say iv had mine 3 years and wouldnt part with it. for info get onto the vtr forum aswell, sound bunch of lads. me and a few mates are heading over again this july(last weekend) to meet up with them, such crack last year your more then welcome

rockinhorse

RMS Member
Drives
A bargain
have to agree..took a spin on the brother in laws mille r lately from newcastle up to spelga..one word sums it imo.."effortless"

Matti_f

RMS Regular
OP
Matti_f
Drives
van,Tucson,TTid
** Update **

Sorted a few bits that had annoyed me when I first bought the storm.

1. Stripped down all the plastics and replaced the bolts some had rounded others didn't match, so new bolt kit was bought fairings stripped and cleaned and then polished and waxed.

2. Allow though previous owners had braided lines fitted they have been cable tied onto forks and frame etc... Which annoyed my ocd so new hel clamps were ordered and promptly fitted.

3. The bike is 2000 and has been in production from 1997 so isn't the most modern of motorcycles aesthetically, i new I wasn't going to be buying a new blade or ninja but the indicators really dated the bike I felt so new set of micros front and rear and I think it updated it nicely without looking out of place.

3. The scorpion pipes had been fitted but the rhs hanger was damaged and bodied to hold the pipe in place, I could find the plastic clamps the pipes came with so sourced a pair of aftermarket claims from eBay and fitted.

4. Hugger was butchered and melted so was promptly pulled off, plan is to brace the swinger with the 94ish blade brace at which time I'll mod a new style angled hugger.

5. Wing mirrors were marked and aged so a quick cost of satin black freshens them.

6. Metal work was all polished and cleaned no rust or rot found or left, headers need more of a polish for me to be happy but that's a winter job.

7. Front forks were worn and pitied so quick coat of silver later and like new.

8. When stripping the bike I mangled to lower bolt hole in the Lhs of the front mudguard down to a rounded bolt in a fit of anger, so I sourced a new mud guard but it was the darker shade of yellow from the earlier bikes, so it was painted satin black along with the belly pan in the meantime until I decide my future plans for the bike.

9. A Previous owner had fitted length adjustable levers that at some stage someone removed the extender from leaving behind random pointy short levers so a new set was sourced and fitted from China lol hard to knock took 6 weeks but for the cost and quality I think they are great, perfect fit also.

The bike will always be a work in progress for the next couple of years so I have a couple of plans for it most will be winter projects etc....

* Have carbs cleaned and setup along with tps checked and calibrated possibly Dyno jet kit
* paint radiators and possibly frame textured black
* brace swing arm
* modify hugger to suit
* service forks and fit new internals
* fit new shock spring

Also toying with the idea of cafe racer, never felt the storm suited being a fighter with side radiators and flat level to the tail units lines. But I found a bike for sale that has been modified and I think it really suits the theme so may have a go in the winter, all mods with be budget dependent at the end of the day the bike will only depreciate in value and a fist fully of mods will lose money so plan is no matter what I do leave it reversible to put bike standard when time comes to sell.

Comments and input always welcome

Cheers Matt

G N K

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
It never fails to amaze me what a seat cowl can do to a bike, totally transforms the look.

I vote for leaving it how it's sits, looks great.

fabiostar

RMS Regular
Drives
looking well lad i have to say..
your number 4, the braced blade arm i have sitting in the mancave waiting to be done aswell.. the TPS is an easy one, loosen it of and turn it to the left as far as itl go, job done. and you didnt mention it but dont ever fit a K&N filter to a storm,waste of time and money and more time.. dynojet kit. id think carfully about that, they can be funny to get right,.

the forks are ***** on them as standard. get the damper rod modded, blade brakes and you will have a different bike.

you know im gona say change the ccts lol.
and please lord dont fighter or cafe it, its just wrong lol

Matti_f

RMS Regular
OP
Matti_f
Drives
van,Tucson,TTid
looking well lad i have to say..
your number 4, the braced blade arm i have sitting in the mancave waiting to be done aswell.. the TPS is an easy one, loosen it of and turn it to the left as far as itl go, job done. and you didnt mention it but dont ever fit a K&N filter to a storm,waste of time and money and more time.. dynojet kit. id think carfully about that, they can be funny to get right,.

the forks are ***** on them as standard. get the damper rod modded, blade brakes and you will have a different bike.

you know im gona say change the ccts lol.
and please lord dont fighter or cafe it, its just wrong lol

THank's Fabio the Cct have been done thankfully, my dads first storm I think was one of the first here to blow he put 20k on it in a year as his daily complete rebuild,he also just bought vfr800 and hand to have both done lol bad luck.

If you ever feel like selling the swinger let me know,

fabiostar

RMS Regular
Drives
THank's Fabio the Cct have been done thankfully, my dads first storm I think was one of the first here to blow he put 20k on it in a year as his daily complete rebuild,he also just bought vfr800 and hand to have both done lol bad luck.

If you ever feel like selling the swinger let me know,

away this weekend to meet up in scotland with a crowd of storm owners so thatl be a toot, theres a guy on the vtr forum atm selling a brace and bracket and caliper for what you wana do. think hes on the face book group aswell. think hes looking £50 plus p&p

Sharkman

RMS Regular
Drives
Stick
Were you riding on kings road, Belfast just after 5 this evening? Sounded well if it was you.

Matti_f

RMS Regular
OP
Matti_f
Drives
van,Tucson,TTid
Thought it about time I update this thread been solidly build away over winter and really started to kick in now better weather is here.

So over went it had a new high bar setup fitted along with new exhaust hangers to raise the angle 30* also got in some Chinese fairing copies to tart up the shabby finish.

This is the first trial fit, the old fairing had two rounded Allen bolts from a ham fisted previous owner, and due to the brittle nature of the plastic I didn't want to *******ise them and ruin the fairing.

The rounded nuts belong to the mounting brackets so I have ordered a full set off eBay so for time being they are loosely in place, they don't line up great but I'll bodge it, also need to fiddle about with the seat unit to hopefully get it aligned with the seat better the gap does my head in.

Also started into pipe work and the block with it being exposed to freshen it up and seal it to make cleaning easier follow runs.

Also got some carbon engine covers as can be seen, off a crashed bike and where slightly dulled but a go over with cut and polish made a decent shine and it hides the damage to the rhs cover.

Comparison of the exhaust angle, left is adjust and bolted into place rhs hanging near standard position.

Better picture of the bar conversion, this is done with CNC risers fitted over the top of fork renthal bars an new renthal grips, also fitted a braided clutch line as it needed length added....

d
Picture of lhs freshened up, and new carbon cover fitted starting to look like a bike again, have to keep telling myself its a 17 year old machine and there is only so much can be done lol.

Plans for next few weeks are pads all round, service, MOT which is up next month and fit a new hugger which I have coming in the post after I ruined my own.

Also wouldn't mind having someone put leds into the instrument cluster original factory bulbs are rubbish and hard to make out through tinted visor around dusk, if anyone can recommend someone let me know ?

Cheers for looking

Last edited:

fabiostar

RMS Regular
Drives
looking well i have to say. the led conversion is dead easy when you have the clocks of. if you ever passing my way il pop them in for you.

also if your still thinking of the blade swingarm conversion im selling mine as iv far to much to be doing with my pair here..

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.