Yellow Lights Legal???

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

mthompo

RMS Regular
Drives
Too much...
Just looking to see if yellow headlights are legal? anyone no. I currently got yellow bulbs for the civic and just wanted to know if they are legal. Also was going to purchase yellow fog lamps for the car. A wee bit of searching on google and i came up with this : http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/schedule/5/made which says in it :

7. Colour:
White or yellow

but just like to double check :grinning:

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Or Japanese, as per my Skyline fog lights... Never used them though as they looked naff and were likely illegal...

Steve C

RMS Regular
A car I had passed the MOT with yellow headlights about 2 years ago. It wasn't mentioned.

mthompo

RMS Regular
OP
mthompo
Drives
Too much...
yes alot of japanese cars running yellow too hence why they are in civic just wanted somethng diferent compared to blinding someone with HID kit....

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Your visibility will be shat with the yellow headlights, so just watch yourself there.

I had this same debate a few years ago and was under the presumption it was fine for motorbikes but not for cars, but i think it is the same legality you mentioned for general motor vehicles afterall :grinning:

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Better visibility in fog, rain, drizzle, etc though with yellow lights.

mthompo

RMS Regular
OP
mthompo
Drives
Too much...
tbh the car isnt going to be drove a hell of a lot anyway i know i will suffer from a sligh loss is visability but i think i could live with it tbh lol

syecadelic

RMS Regular
Drives
Evo IX
i reckon there legal. ive had orange sidelight bulbs in the i30 for ages, with no heat from the law.

As you found yoruself, white or yellow is legal to the front, with red reserved only for the rear (bar reverse and inidcators)
Blue and green are emergency responce only

Shaun

RMS Regular
I had yellow lamin-x on my headlights for ages and i didnt notice any reduced visibility.
Was also stopped by the cops a good few times and never had anything about the headlights mentioned.
Never went through mot though but if they put out enough light and are the correct pattern i can see anything wrong.

hardc0re_tid

RMS Regular
Drives
Phat Almera GTi
my almera went through mot fine last year, but visability was poo when using 60/55w yellow's, hence the reason why i changed to 100/90w (used when going to mot and passed) nothing was said about the fact they were too bright or the fact they were yellow.

i dont recommend using 100/90w unless your vehicle wiring/bulb plug is rated for that use. i learned the hard way!

and you are correct when you say that dipped and main beam lights should be white or yellow

TheDaniel

RMS Regular
Drives
Silvia PS13
On a related note, I've seen people with purple sidelights.. Illegal?

mthompo

RMS Regular
OP
mthompo
Drives
Too much...
the glanza i had had purple sidelights dunno about how legal they are but i pulled them out thought they looked wild tacky

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Yup, not legal. It was probably those cheap blue led's ones that look purple anyway :confounded:

Ian A

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
I run them.

Think they're great. Notice very little difference in visibility either.

paulmcmillen

RMS Regular
Drives
mk1 Leon Cupra
I have a set as my fog lights. I never use them, apart from if I'm flashing to let someone out/in if they are in front of me. I think they are great for that as people notice the yellow much easier, so there is much less hesitance on their part!

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
I think they are great for that as people notice the yellow much easier, so there is much less hesitance on their part!
Definitely! I used to get people puling out on me quite a lot even when i had a bright banana coloured motor, but when i had my yellows on, i definitely noticed a difference in people picking up on it :grinning:

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.