My Winter Project - Old School Scooter

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

rwdmad

Banned
Drives
ae86 and sierra
shouldve bought something you can actually ride! unless you are very small then the lt50 will be awesome lmao
2 quads are sold still have the trike which will be for sale

forde

RMS Regular
Drives
Vectra SRi
not too bad then! you got a pic of the trike i havent seen a yamaha one before

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Got a chance over the hols to start getting colour on the bike. The colour is a bit lighter than I'd hoped but I still like it and think the overall result should still be good. Colour down on frame and a few other loose parts, still looking pretty rough, but so far so good.

DSCF1109.JPG

DSCF1110.JPG

And two wee pieces are ahead of the game and complete. Mucho thanks to Curt (Doovde) with his assistance in the bodywork department. I'm really pleased with the finish using the rattle cans :grinning:

DSCF1107.JPG

DSCF1108.JPG

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Jeez, didnt actually expect it to be that dark! Thought it'd be more a baby blue :eek: Looks like that Audi colour you'd see the likes of the RS4's in lol :p

Ah good oul garage/spray booth combo, i bet the wife loves that :party: You just using aerosols or whats the set-up? What you doing for wheels as a matter of interest?

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
In fairness it is slightly darker than what the photos suggest with the flash and that, but still lighter than the OEM colour and yeah just rattle cans in the garage, ghetto styleee!!

Wheels are next now that you mention it and boy are they messy. I'm thinking of trying chrome paint on them but suspect I may have to settle with plain old silver. They're pretty rusty too so going to be a real ball ache. Probably a couple of weeks work in each of them. The exhaust is another ball ache for me. It's chrome and IMO the centre piece of the bike but badly pitted. Re-chroming isn't an option due to the cost involved and chrome paint won't work... probably going to be silver which is a shame... unless I can find a good one on eBay. Probably going to paint what I have and wait for a good one to come along some time. Doesn't have to be completely done straight away :grinning:

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
It's chrome and IMO the centre piece of the bike but badly pitted. Re-chroming isn't an option due to the cost involved and chrome paint won't work... probably going to be silver which is a shame... unless I can find a good one on eBay. Probably going to paint what I have and wait for a good one to come along some time. Doesn't have to be completely done straight away :grinning:
Autosol and wire wool works wonders on pipes that may look beyond redemption. I know you can get new pipes for the Honda cubs from Thailand and the likes so there may be something out there if you google hard enough! Seems a nice enough finish with the rattle cans as well.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Aye I could probably get one from Thailand too right enough. Presently the exhaust looks grand but I reckon 5 mins in damp conditions and it'll rust like mad again (acid dipped). I might be able to get away with keeping the rust at bay if I used a good sealer though.

Hardly a difficult part to remove and fix either :rolleyes:

Food for thought. Thanks Mikey!

purplea4T

RMS Regular
There's a site that I used when I bought bits for my Puch Maxi and all they do is moped parts, based in Holland I think. The prices are really good and I do believe they supply stuff for yours too. I'll check the pc at home and let you know.

saxo_man

RMS Regular
Looking great Coog, some work so far. Keep the pics coming. I've been thinking bout getting a wee bike for commuting in the good weather, but we'll see lol

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
It'd be great for commuting. They do over 100mpg lol

Today I made a start on the final coat of paint. The lacquer is on and so far so good. I'm also painting a few other pieces satin black (stand, rear brake pedal, etc).

Almost done:

DSCF1117.JPG

DSCF1118.JPG

DSCF1119.JPG

DSCF1120.JPG

New vs old colour and condition (rear shocks)

DSCF1124.JPG

Next up is lots of wet sanding (probably in a week or so to allow the lacquer to cure) then I can finally start on the mechanicals!! Still a few wee bits to paint but nothing major left now thank goodness

areofall

RMS Regular
Your now sitting about, cleaning out the garage so I'll keep an eye out for bits. Def have a new crankshaft for her.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Cheers mate. Still not really sure what I need yet. Chain guards/covers are looking a bit sorry for themselves, repairable but going to take mega work.

Got the seat and magneto cover off the previous owner. Let me know what you stumble across.

areofall

RMS Regular
Cheers mate. Still not really sure what I need yet. Chain guards/covers are looking a bit sorry for themselves, repairable but going to take mega work.

Got the seat and magneto cover off the previous owner. Let me know what you stumble across.

If you get me the part no. for the chain guard I'd have a look. have bout 30 new ones but not sure what they fit.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
61310-24000-xxx CASE, Chain Upper
61310-19001-xxx CASE, Chain Lower

xxx = colour code, but that doesn't matter for me. Parts 9&10 below.

DSC00014.jpg

Souleh

RMS Regular
Drives
Astra coupe / ZX
Amazing! Some awesome motors on that previous page too.

Im just about to start building my supersport machine but whens the nifty fifty?? Wouldnt mind a go at one of these (y)

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Last bit of progress on the bike for a while. Thought I'd begin to reassemble the front end. Believe it or not but there was about 8hrs work in this! Seemed to take me forever to get everything set up just right. Plus everything that was dirty or rusted needed cleaned and polished.

Forks and suspension units and hardware

DSCF1125.JPG

They were in great mechanical condition so I decided that they didn't warrant a rebuild, just a clean and regrease. Even though they're mostly hidden I gave them a clean up - clean vs dirty:
DSCF1126.JPG

Races pressed into the frame:

DSCF1127.JPG

Bearings are dealt with individually, no complete units :rolleyes: . When I took the bike apart about 3million ballbearings fell out and went everywhere. Luckily I was able to buy new ones and also cleaned up the good ones I could find from the bike.

DSCF1128.JPG

Top end was the same:

DSCF1129.JPG

Installed the panel where the ignition key switch will eventually go.

DSCF1131.JPG

Done. Front shocks on and forks on frame.

DSCF1132.JPG

At this stage I'm going into unknown territory and hope I'm installing things in the correct order. Front mud guard really needed to go on with the shock bolts so I'll reverse those bolts out and do that bit next time I'm working on the bike.

Souleh

RMS Regular
Drives
Astra coupe / ZX
Youll be finding those ballbearings for years! Some bikes still using needle bearings that go everywhere when pulling apart, massive pain!

Looking great, plenty of eau de wd40 too ftw (y)

forde

RMS Regular
Drives
Vectra SRi
can you replace them with cartridge bearings??

colour looks well

need to get more done on mine on my week off, id love to use it for commuting but it has no keys so could go missing easily lol guess i could put it in the warehouse

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
You probably could but a pack of ball bearings was 99p so I just decided to just go with the current set-up. Weren't as fiddly as I thought they'd be either.

Get a big lock for yours (y)

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Some new stainless fixings arrived today. Should be able to replace the majority of the standard sized nuts/bolts on the bike with these :grinning:

DSCF1133.JPG

DSCF1138.JPG

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
You sir are a legend!!! PM on its way.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.