Belfast Motor Show 2014, Kings Hall

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
Are you referring to the old manufacture backed motor show 20+ years ago?

The one before the Internet was invented ...

Yup, and the internet has only helped boost attendance at such shows worldwide. (empirical data available).

Part of our problem in the "wee country", with no fixed ownership is that there are more cynics per square inch than any other country I have visited (which is a LOT). What makes the cynicism worse is people's reluctance to change, i.e. pull together and work towards a better future.

I know a car show is a long way down the priority list for most, but car shows for young people are such energising places that can inspire future designers, mechanics and motorsport champions. I would never have thought about becoming a design engineer if DeLorean hadn't produced the bucket of horse-manure that he did, but it was iconic and sparked my imagination as a 10+ year old and drove me to seek a job in automotive design.

So, in short..... here's a challenge to each and every person that reads my semi-rant. Instead of just slating something and dismissing it - maybe we can just start looking for the good in each and every idea, exploring it to a conclusion, whether it ends up as a shelved project or a realised one. From keeping the streets cleaner, teaching our children fear of authority and respect for others, or even something like a 2-Day show of shiny metal that can enthuse and inspire new ideas, drive trade levels higher and help to help make this country a better place to be!

Del

Last edited:

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
in short...... maybe some of us can help her?
@Graham @Cooper?
It only takes a few people to work together to get any project off the ground. I of all people know this as once every 3 years, someone throws me a scrap of paper with a concept on it and at the end of three years, I see it in the showrooms and on the back of breakdown lorries!

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
Are you working undercover for them now Del? :eek:

Putting together something of that magnitude is a full time job. And I'm not sure anyone with a reputation in the car "scene" would willingly put their name on their sinking ship.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
in short...... maybe some of us can help her?
@Graham @Cooper?
It only takes a few people to work together to get any project off the ground. I of all people know this as once every 3 years, someone throws me a scrap of paper with a concept on it and at the end of three years, I see it in the showrooms and on the back of breakdown lorries!
It doesn't take people, it takes people who have been in the industry for years with HUGE contacts in the motoring trade and most importantly tens or maybe hundreds of thousands of the queens finest to get something off the ground in a manor which will attract more trade and more spectators in years to come, at which point a consortium could reap the benefits.

It would be a full time job getting this off the ground and at least a year in advance you would need a plethora of content booked and promoted via web and media.

their facebook has next to nothing on it, the branding is sinful, the web site looks like a free site built thing and there is a severe lack of background work happening to promote the event via the mediums that have been offered, both by myself and cooper never mind what or who else has been in touch.

i know for sure that 2-3 companies who were main sponsors of previous shows like this have been on the phone with me asking if i know anything about it, one of which has money to spend the other i'd say likely not but at the same time they can offer free promotion of the event.

IMO if someone offers you FREE help and FREE publicity, knock yourself out ASAP to get such help and promotion.

I have recently taken a stand at a trade show and there is a 30 page T&C file with contracts, booking forms etc in place as well as forms for your entry into the show directory and such likes. The organisers had all of this across within 24hrs of first contact and have since been in contact several times making sure i am happy with everything and helping me when i request it.

it is a few weeks now and i still havn't received an email with the press release news of this show being in the kings hall, not good practice IMO.

call me scepticle or maybe just too long in the tooth at the automotive stuff

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah

Putting together something of that magnitude is a full time job. And I'm not sure anyone with a reputation in the car "scene" would willingly put their name on their sinking ship.

BUSTED! I have no reputation outside my own back-yard Rockstar, so I'm willing to join forces to attempt to re-float this prematurely sunk ship........

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
It doesn't take people, it takes people who have been in the industry for years with HUGE contacts in the motoring trade and most importantly tens or maybe hundreds of thousands of the queens finest to get something off the ground

quote]

Sell some of your camera gear and pitch in ;)

I don't disagree with anything you said Graham...... People out of their depth usually are too proud to ask for help. I know that there are a few people on here that could chip in and make the necessary deposit to secure the venue, but that it would be a tall order to get things organised for this summer. I'd risk 10k to see if we couldn't get such a show back in the province......... anyone else? @Lyons - time to buy a K11 instead of a German barge and come on board (someone ring for an ambulance, I just think Ian hit the deck)

Last edited:

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
Sell some of your camera gear and pitch in ;)

I am too busy to have "me time never" mind taking on something like that.

I have done all the planning and running of a 1 day show for 300 cars with 8 trade stands with the help of a small team and that BUSTED ME

Last edited:

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah

Surely you could do this as a spare-time project Superstar? Wee buns!

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
Del I agree with a lot of your comments I really do. However as said there are only a handful of people who could make this a success and to the best of my knowledge none are involved. In addition people simply do not realise the costs of shows and these costs along with everything that goes with them need to be covered long before the doors have even been opened.
The point of everything that has been covered is that every aspect of this show appears to lack any of the requirements needed for it to work.
Setting that aside for the moment my Internet comment was that many years ago when the 'motor show' took place there was no Internet. Therefore all we had to go on where magazines and what we seen driving around the roads. The result was the MS was manufacture backed showing new models and often many cars that simply we, the public would never otherwise get to see - you couldn't miss it for fear of loosing out by not seeing something.
Now, since the invention of the Internet we have seen everything, nothing is a surprise any longer, manufactures produce nice videos etc to launch their cars because millions get to see them for free.
It is simply evolution is all.

As a side note, couldn't agree more on the N.I cynicism

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
Well I've taken a punt (and paid through Paypal, so protected should they do a runner - which I don't think they'll do).

Worked out £5 a head per day which is no worse than other "shows" in NI...

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Not that I'm saying it's a scam or dodgy (I haven't looked into it) but the problem with paypal is that you're only 'protected' for a set length of time which I believe is something like 30 days? By the time we all know whether this is a true bill show or not (for sure) it'll probably be too late. There could be different/extra protection offered to tickets.

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
To be honest it sounds like this will be an utter disaster, and I agree fully with Chris_B that in this day and age you really need either deep pockets, strong backing or something very different to make a car show work effectively. The only ones I consider worth going to now are all in England.

However, I will be (genuinely) delighted if they prove me wrong, it's been a while since there was a decent car show here.

marcus_74

Banned
Drives
vauxhall vectra
well said cartunes,

i think more needs said about peoples ****te attitudes/mentality on this thread,
this thread should have been deleted to be honest
how can you expect people to bring car shows etc with crap attitudes/mentality shown in this thread
n.i is an opressed country for obvious reasons and it shows
full of know it alls, saying what the car show will be like before it has even happened, common sense says you need to goto something 2-3 times to get an average of what it will be like, as it can change from year to year
change is good, think people need to get behind northern ireland more and not behind uk, you live in northern ireland so get behind it and support your fellow country men

Last edited:

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
I am still waiting on my follow up call after being sent the media pack. If Im going to advertise and pay money to have a stand at a show I at least want to know whats in it

marcus_74

Banned
Drives
vauxhall vectra
not sure why your asking me, i have nothing to with the car show,
im just up for supporting northern ireland
you get out what you put in :grinning: at least try
you have to start somewhere

Last edited:

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
well said cartunes,
i think more needs said about peoples ****te attitudes/mentality on this thread,
this thread should have been deleted to be honest
how can you expect people to bring car shows etc with crap attitudes/mentality shown in this thread
n.i is an opressed country for obvious reasons and it shows
full of know it alls, saying what the car show will be like before it has even happened, common sense says you need to goto something 2-3 times to get an average of what it will be like, as it can change from year to year
change is good, think people need to get behind northern ireland more and not behind uk, you live in northern ireland so get behind it and support your fellow country men

Great attitudes and mentalities bring about shows like DubShed

Guys working their arse off for the enjoyment of the members and showgoers, not their pocket and in turn they provide the country with a fantastic show every year, infact, it simply gets better every year. Take a look, normally within a month or so of one year finishing details are already being published about the following year. A HUGE contrast to what is seen with Belfast Motor Show.

Not to dwell on a point, but @Graham mentioned above about branding, etc. A show of that scale is supposedly being run by professionals, ie people being paid to produce the best results they can and once again - DubShed absolutely tramps all over it in terms of branding and marketing.

Take away the fact DubShed is VW only, and reverting back to a point you brought up...

How can you expect anyone to want to go to an event that looks incredibly unprofessional - again, a mentality or trait that seems to stick in NI - produce sh*te and expect people to pay for it, then proceed to gurn when it fails miserably and blame everyone except those who were in charge of the whole affair.

They could learn a hell of a lot from DubShed, which IMO is a simply awesome show considering the "Northern Irish mentality"

They could also rectify a lot of wrongs by perhaps looking on threads like this to see what the general consensus is. I don't believe anyone has jumped on a "hater" bandwagon, I just think the majority of members in this thread are intelligent enough to see it looks like a failure from the outset.

Last edited:

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Oh dear. Not even worth a reply.

I reckon this should be closed until/if further info can be confirmed from the organisers.

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
I will leave the thread open if anyone has any specific and/or factual information to post regarding the show. Otherwise any commentary on show organisation or other topics will be removed (and warnings given where appropriate).

Please be patient, and lets give the organisers the rest of the week to get in touch.

marcus_74

Banned
Drives
vauxhall vectra
^^^ good stuff
i'll have to get 2 tickets :grinning: at least goto the show even if i cant enter a car
hard to say what you mean over the internet for people to take the wrong way
just it looks like there first show, so you have be a bit more understanding, as people said its not an easy thing to do/organise etc
hope it works out for them and us :grinning:

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.