Dashcams and Dashcam Footage

Steve C

RMS Regular
I've noticed a few accident advice threads going up recently where a dashcam could have cleared things up quickly. I've got one recently, an HP F-200. It records in 1020p HD, saves 3 minute segments at a time and has an emergency button to press if anything happens.

The amount of hassle this could save in an accident!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-Camcorder-2-Inch-Outstanding-Performance-Black/dp/B00CX1NFBK

I've caught a couple of examples of bad driving but nothing too exciting yet thankfully. These were taken on the 720p setting before I worked out that it records on 1080p. I also worked out that you can set it not to record sound.

Confused at a roundabout

Drifting across lanes

Anyone else got one and caught anything interesting?

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
I'd be keen to see what cameras folk use if others can post theirs too.

Steve how do you charge it? I hate the thought of wires hanging everywhere. Does it just record on a 3 minute loop overriding the previous 3 minutes unless you stop it?

Steve C

RMS Regular
OP
Steve C

Steve how do you charge it? I hate the thought of wires hanging everywhere. Does it just record on a 3 minute loop overriding the previous 3 minutes unless you stop it?

I have it running off the cigarette lighter with the lead fed up the back of the dash, behind the trim at the side and top of the windscreen on the passengers side and dropping down behind the rear view mirror. It's mounted at the top of the screen behind the rear view mirror so it's pretty discreet and tidy. I was considering hard wiring it but it's too much hassle. It comes on and off automatically with the ignition but the unit itself has a rechargeable battery.

It saves each 3 minute segment but there is a separate file saved in another folder if you press the emergency button so the footage is easy to find. I'm recording to a 32GB class 10 micro sd card which just slots into the side of the camera. I'm pretty happy with it and the footage. I must post some 1020p footage actually.

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
Sounds very very similar to my set up, right down to the memory card and how you installed it. I got a camera of ebay for £30 though.

Here's a sample of the video it records:

Dash camera video 10/01/2014:

Darren91

RMS Regular

I have mine running off a switched live from the fusebox. Means no visible wires apart from the little bit which runs from the edge of the headliner into the camera itself. Runs on a 3 minute loop which will record over itself unless you take the footage off. Normal driving behaves like this.

If the camera detects a sudden g-force change such as an emergency brake then it records it as an 'event' and these aren't deleted until you delete them manually or until the card is full.

I'll post some pics and videos when I get home later on.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Sounds very very similar to my set up, right down to the memory card and how you installed it. I got a camera of ebay for £30 though.

Here's a sample of the video it records:

Dash camera video 10/01/2014:

Have you a link to yours? I'd need one for the wifes car too so £30 sounds more reasonable.

Gavlar

RMS Regular
Can you mount these on windscreens/rear view mirrors too? Would hate a cradle permanently on my dash, or is it removable?

Suppose I'm asking is it just like a sat nav really?

Steve C

RMS Regular
OP
Steve C
Can you mount these on windscreens/rear view mirrors too? Would hate a cradle permanently on my dash, or is it removable?

Suppose I'm asking is it just like a sat nav really?

They are windscreen mounted, mine is up behind the rear view mirror. It's easily removable, the camera screws onto the holder.

mce23

RMS Regular
Drives
Ford
Do these come with a long enough lead that you can run them down in behind the dash or did people buy extra length?

Steve C

RMS Regular
OP
Steve C
Do these come with a long enough lead that you can run them down in behind the dash or did people buy extra length?

Mine came with plenty of lead, not sure on the exact length but it was more than long enough. Not sure about the eBay ones.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
@stevieturbo get that one up you showed me the other day it's a cracker lol

Have covered the audio with some youtube song.

It was quite very funny...most parts predictable.

Idiot almost comes to a complete stop on a totally clear filter lane for no reason.

Then lane disciplne at the roundabout...totally expected...but still hard to believe they have a license.

Second roundabout just as bad....LOL

Although it doesnt really compare to a friend on his way up the Glenshane. Glenton offer some high thrill coach trips !!
Initial overtake you could maybe argue both parties in the wrong depending how visible he was behind the coach.
What happened next a bit harder to argue !

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
LMAO!! What happened to him off the second roundabout?!

Edit- double LMAO- just watched the second one! :scream:

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
LMAO!! What happened to him off the second roundabout?!

Edit- double LMAO- just watched the second one! :scream:

Well, it's hard to say to be fair on him...but to be as fair as can be. That particular part of the roundabout can get quite slippy when it's been dry then rains.

Quite a few have ended up in that fence. But given how slow he was going....it does sort of defy belief.

But then when you see the photos of that Indian guy in the red Celica....nothing defies belief.

pablo

RMS Moderator
looks like coach was overtaking and didnt see van behind coming to overtake. was all a bit last minute on the coaches part imo

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
That coach driver, unbelieveable. I'd be emailing that to his employer.

I already did, never got a response from them.

Yes the overtake at the start...no big deal could be argued either way.

but a coach overtaking on the inside...and on the hard shoulder...WTF !!

I can only imagine there werent any passengers on board