RMS Offroad Day Afterthoughts - Flagstaff Adventures April 2015

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Hold the phone where these @seaside-racer's pics?! Apologies if I have watermarked incorrectly :oops:
Mixture of mine and his.

How dare you Cooper, absolutely disgraceful ;)

Doesn't bother me in slightest, I'm no photographer and they were taken with my phone.

Must get my few videos loaded to the computer and edited into one and put it up. Got a recovery or 2, and flat out sideways jimmy. Brother has one of my run up where everyone was having trouble.

Great write up, sums the day up well haha

@Coog that High speed drift in 2.5tons got me worried when I ran out steering lock and a bolder was coming towards me fast haha

Last edited:

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
All in a great day. For sure a more challenging environment than Todd's leap, which is great but a definite step down in the aggressiveness scale. I even had a slightly worried copilot on some of the tougher parts as the Jim jam really struggled to stay in a straight line. For sure a lot more aggressive in places than the RTVs I used to frequent.

I'd actually love to bring the old land cruiser to this place and have a go at some of those brutal climbs. Definitely not something I wanted to attempt in a soft top Jimny that's for sure lol

Thanks again for finding and organising seaside - I'm definitely up for another session. In the summer :grinning:

Oh and get the videos up too. Should be some funny ones lol

Andy044

RMS Regular
Drives
^^^^^^

The one we didn't attempt. @seaside-racer for scale

And loaded up for home

Fantastic day out, really glad that I was able to go.
Told myself that i'd only stay for a couple of hrs and managed to be the last one out the gate at the end of the day!

Good challenges and tricky spots that soon catch you out.
First run of the muddy car wash I found that the landrover isn't exactly waterproof given the amount of water that managed to soak me, sitting inside with the window closed!

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
@weeloaney Id say if any P38a owners seen the way you handled yours, their pipes would fall out of their mouths! Very impressive flat in low 3rd up the hill!
Haha, not usually what you see them at.

There's at least 3 others round Enniskillen/Fermanagh and I've never seen a speck of dirt on them, if I hadn't of broke the shock I would have driven to work the way it is and gone through the centre of enniskillen on badness just to get a few looks.

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Looks like a brilliant day you all had, gutted I couldn't make it and typically I'm still sitting waiting on a shout from work so could've gone alright! Would love to have seen how the old Shogun would've got on!

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
I wish I had gone now too. It turns out we're using a van at the weekend for tow duties, so I'd happily have tested the Surf full capacity, and no doubt would have been first to truck down that hill you posted the pic of @Andy044 :p

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
I wish I had gone now too. It turns out we're using a van at the weekend for tow duties, so I'd happily have tested the Surf full capacity, and no doubt would have been first to truck down that hill you posted the pic of @Andy044 [emoji14]
Em, I'm not sure. Barrel rolling down it maybe.

Photo really doesn't do it justice, it's quite a hill.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Said broke shock, beside the old one it replaced.

IMAG1905.jpg
IMAG1904.jpg

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Get a good strong bolt and run a weld right round it with a MIG. Just tack the bolt in 2 or 3 places, then dip the shock into a bucket of water to cool it down, then weld a wee bit more and dip it again, repeating until done.

I've repaired shocks like that before with no issue. Definitely surprised to see that happen a TerraFirma though. I'd have expected more from them...

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Get a good strong bolt and run a weld right round it with a MIG. Just tack the bolt in 2 or 3 places, then dip the shock into a bucket of water to cool it down, then weld a wee bit more and dip it again, repeating until done.

I've repaired shocks like that before with no issue. Definitely surprised to see that happen a TerraFirma though. I'd have expected more from them...
Thought about that but i emailed the crowd I bought them off about it, said themselves they've never had a problem with them.

Told me to send them a picture and we can sort out a replacement.

Sounds like I will get a replacement under warranty, fingers crossed

Andy044

RMS Regular
Drives
^^^^^^
As Nicky says I'm surprised to see that from TerraFirma. A free warranty replacement would be nice. Just don't tell them exactly what you were doing when it broke lol

seaside-racer

RMS Regular
Drives
discovery & wrx
@Nicky i looked at that hill from the top and bottom. I even had the jeep at the top of it and contemplated going over but there was no way I was taking the chance especially when I had to drive it home. To give you an idea it's as steep as the first part of the big hill in todds leap and at a guess 100ft long of rocks and shale. Also I trie going up an could only make it to where I'm standing roughly. I'm not saying it's impossible but I just didn't fancy wrecking the jeep over it as it was one of the fenced off sections that he doesn't take his own jeeps over.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
As Nicky says I'm surprised to see that from TerraFirma. A free warranty replacement would be nice. Just don't tell them exactly what you were doing when it broke lol
He hasn't asked and I'm not saying haha

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Result.

"Hi Andrew

I have sent a replacement rear shock today and included a postage returns label to post the faulty one back.

Apologies for any inconvenience, I can honestly say we have not had any trouble with these.

Regards
James Holton"

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.