Mazda MX-5 - Pricing and Specification Announced

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

PoddyM

RMS Regular
Drives
GT86
On the RMS Blog: Whilst we at RMS have seen the 2015 MX5 at the Geneva Motor Show, it will make it's UK debut at the Goodwood Festival of Speed.   Clearly one of this years most anticipated sports cars, it will be available from only £18,495. With an improved power to weight ratio, rear-wheel drive, perfect 50:50 weight distribution and more comfort and technology than ever before, the all-new Mazda MX-5 is pure roadster. (Read the Full Article Here)

Read the Entire Article Here

Cess

RMS Staff
Still one of the most memorable and best looking new cars that @Cooper, @Reno_LV and myself saw at Geneva. Can't believe that it's only getting a UK launch now. Has to be value at a touch over £18k for a spritely rear wheel drive sports car.

Gavlar

RMS Regular
That's a brilliant price tbh, GT86 should've started at this price

Cess

RMS Staff
What's price like compared to a GT86 @Gavlar? Would make a nice road-test comparison - GT86 vs MX-5

Cess

RMS Staff
Would have hoped for more than 155bhp

It's lighter and smaller than the previous version, so 155bhp might be ok. They seemed to have focused heavily on the driving dynamics.

In October 2014 the price was dropped down to £22,495 for the base model (Primo)

:scream: Wow - didm't realise there was such a gulf in price. That's a big differential.

Gavlar

RMS Regular
It's lighter and smaller than the previous version, so 155bhp might be ok. They seemed to have focused heavily on the driving dynamics.

:scream: Wow - didm't realise there was such a gulf in price. That's a big differential.
Before October 2014 it was £24,995 lol

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6

We were told the same about the GT86 but reviews and sales figures suggest that's not enough. The MX5 does have the heritage in fairness and the adoration of the female middle management type, but I'm just wary of how things are moving. 155 from a 2.0 engine is piss poor.

Johnny_52

RMS Regular
Drives
AM Vantage
I think 155hp should be ok, think like the gt86 it's more about feel and handling than straight line punch, I'll be heading down to the local dealer for a spin when it's available.

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
When are they out? I just saw a sporty looking MX5 with trade plates on Boucher but it might be the last one?

nobby

RMS Regular
Drives
Jap stuff
which is what driving is all about IMHO. Fair play to them and Toyota for keeping these types of car to its core values - driving fun and engaging drives

yeah defo one of the nicest cars on show at Geneva for the masses and not just the super rich etc

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
which is what driving is all about IMHO. Fair play to them and Toyota for keeping these types of car to its core values - driving fun and engaging drives
However the GT86 would bore the life out of you and shake you to bits on the daily commute, only really comes to life when you are driving it like a joyrider, they need revved and revved hard to be any way fun but they do handle superbly

I have reviewed the GT86 and the TRD version also

Johnny_52

RMS Regular
Drives
AM Vantage
My local Mazda dealer is shaws Bangor, I'll wait till I see a demo sitting outside then I'll have a nosey. Having owned a GT86 they are great cars, I do see where Graham is coming from. My commute from Bangor to Ballynahinch when your in the mood was superb, the rest of the time it was a little lifeless.

nobby

RMS Regular
Drives
Jap stuff
I'm sorry but you state you drive a Passat estate ... I can only imagine how mundane and boring that must be!!!

So I'm not that easily pleased! ;)

I like torque and low down torque mostly with boost in fairness so most NA cars bore me

nobby

RMS Regular
Drives
Jap stuff
My local Mazda dealer is shaws Bangor, I'll wait till I see a demo sitting outside then I'll have a nosey. Having owned a GT86 they are great cars, I do see where Graham is coming from. My commute from Bangor to Ballynahinch when your in the mood was superb, the rest of the time it was a little lifeless.

It's around 200bhp ... Similar to a CTR etc. Perhaps it could do with a tad more power but in terms of driver appeal and fun it really delivers for a modern car which most are just lifeless electronic dull lookalikes all playing silly numbers games that mean little to overall drive.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
I'm sorry but you state you drive a Passat estate ... I can only imagine how mundane and boring that must be!!!

So I'm not that easily pleased! ;)
Yes it is boring and mundane, I would never suggest otherwise, but as I drive press cars all the time for my living I get to sample most things on a weekly basis to give me a firm idea of what's hot and what's not

PhilM

RMS Regular
Looks great :grinning: and I read its smaller than a mk1 mx5?

Impressive stuff, will own one at some point

Phil

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.