BBC loses out as Channel 4 gains F1 rights

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Cess

RMS Staff
On the RMS Blog: BBC shocked motorsports fans today by announcing that it would be terminating their agreement to show Formula 1 three years early. The Corporation needs to make £35m of savings from their sports budget, which has led to F1 coverage being culled immediately by Director of Sport, Barbara Slater.(Read the Full Article Here)

Read the Entire Article Here

Last edited:

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
Cost cutting because top gear isn't bringing in the money anymore? Good, no more of coulthards and Jordan's ***** punditry and wardrobe. The sooner the licence fee is dropped the better, don't know why they don't just start advertising to make money, not many people would be bothered because of live tv recording. Bbc3 going to just online only soon as well to save money. They need to cut the wages of BBC "personalities" across Tv and radio as they get paid a fortune, most of them are annoying as hell as well.

mckeown

RMS Regular
Drives
mitsi outlander
As said screw the BBC, hope they go to the wall, only decent thing they have is Attenborough documentary's

rupertfinch

RMS Regular
Is the BBC that bad? If I examine my viewing (I'm a freeview tightwad) then it's either BBC channels or quest. I struggle to understand the licence fee argument from folks who spend 50+ quid a month on Murdoch's empire.
Maybe I'm just institutionalised, but when I want weather, sport or news, again they are my default choice. Still F1 is pish so no loss there.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
Is the BBC that bad? If I examine my viewing (I'm a freeview tightwad) then it's either BBC channels or quest. I struggle to understand the licence fee argument from folks who spend 50+ quid a month on Murdoch's empire.
Maybe I'm just institutionalised, but when I want weather, sport or news, again they are my default choice. Still F1 is pish so no loss there.
People choose to pay the likes of Sky , but we are forced to pay for BBC wether we want it or not.

rupertfinch

RMS Regular
Agreed, though how many of NI's good folk do actually pay remains a mystery, but fair point.
So is a tenner a month value for money? It is for me. Would I have Sky? Once upon a time yes, but now, no. Let's also not forget the BBCs radio output. I dunno we pay a ****load more for many much more useless things. So thank you CharlySkunkWeed for funding my limited viewing habits.

Pumesta

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus_ST_3
I have no love for the state run and state serving BBC and would love to see it go to the wall, the only program I ever watched on it was Top Gear. Sure the 'free licence' for OAP's was actually paid to the BBC by the government up on till very, very recently. I this day and age of digital broadcasts it would be so easy to scramble the broadcasts and have it subscription based like sky So no costs incurred by enforcement, no courts being clogged up by non payment cases, no single mothers being sent to prison for a month for non payment.. But that means a fair present of the population would decide not to subscribe, so I doubt we will ever see that happening

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
Who knows?
Looking more and more like the BBC is dying! Between the loss of Top Gear and the Jimmy Saville scandal they are loosing any credibility quickly!

As others have said being forced to pay for something and choosing to pay for something is two different things, they should go down the route most other channels do and succumb to advertising!

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
BBC will be cut back to the bare bones in the near future.

Have nothing against the corporation, they produce some fantastic programmes but forcing people to pay for it seems outdated.

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
Ad's would have brought in a serious amount of revenue so fair play to C4 for doing this advert free. Have you ever tried watching free to air F1 coverage in the US. The adverts take up more time than the race coverage.

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
I'm glad Channel 4 got it ahead of ITV. ITV's coverage was dreadful with the ad-breaks. Channel 4 from what I hear won't have ad breaks during the race.

The BBC seem stumped for cash and are pouring it into the olympics and the euros next year. I begrudgingly paid my license there. For all that we watch, it's not worth it.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.