R53 Mini Cooper S

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

clrrk

RMS Regular
Drives
S14A
Bought this the same day as I sold my MK5 from a fella in Banbridge - 97k, full service history, stainless exhaust, 17% supercharger reduction pulley, 18" John Cooper Works alloys made by Ronal, 40 lowering springs but other than that fairly stock. I also found out a few weeks after owning it that its been looked after in the past as its been treated to some facelift projector Xenons, facelift tail lights and a face light 3 spoke steering wheel. To say it goes well its an understatement - was shocked that the new owner of my MK5 wasn't able to pull away from me on a spirited drive home despite having at least 100hp extra.

25007696189_8b2c81b050_b.jpg

Anyhow, it all started off very sensibly - this was to be my daily, it wasn't getting modified, I was just gonna enjoy driving it and work on the MK2... well that backfired. Was working on the MK2 one Sunday, trying to put right all the faults it had failed MOT for and every time I fixed 1 thing, another broke. I was loosing the rag with it when Steven Toner called over and made the point that nearly everything I'd already bought for the MK2 would also fit on the Mini. Two hours later, the MK2 was locked walked away from and left to sit until a time that I can work on it without a deadline hanging over me.

First thing I done was to have a quick test fit of the BBS E49's that I'd bought for the MK2. At 17x7 they're a bit on the skinny side so I wanted to make sure they wouldn't look lost in the larger arches of the Mini, so they were bolted on and an unusual method of lowering was used to get a rough gauge of how they would sit...

24564103086_a6da785a16_b.jpg

24564103786_a028450b6e_b.jpg

23963455883_6c6221c224_b.jpg

Surprisingly they actually fill the Mini arches a lot better than the MK2 but they're gonna require some spacing and a lot more lowering.

Next on my to-do list was fixing a pet peeve of mine - the grey headliner and pillars. I can understand that some cars have them so it makes them feel more roomy, but this is a small hatch back, I want it to feel tight and enclosed so and out everything came. Rather than the traditional faux suede or alcantara I decided to go with a black two way stretch material that is usually made for dress making - again I had bought this for the MK2 as I felt it might be more period correct, but I ended up liking it more than I thought and I think it works really well in the Mini too.

24900659906_3942da50a1_b.jpg

24833612901_e79977b233_b.jpg

24296365334_e299f471f8_b.jpg

While all this was happening I finally managed to get my reg legally onto a car with Neil from Rockvale making me some short plates

24408989119_12e122c3f6_b.jpg

As you can maybe spot from the photo above my Mini, like most others, suffers from a rusty bootlid. Unfortunately there was a design fault with these cars that means that water gathers along the top of the number plate light plinth - this in turn rots the lid, mostly out of sight behind the trim until it spreads to a visible area - by this time its usually too late to save it and in my case there was a lovely big rot hole. Was searching from a replacement on eBay when I found one for sale by Ecopart at Nutts Corner - put a cheeky £50 best offer on it which was accepted and picked up the next day. Possibly the cleanest Mini bootlid in the country! Zero rot, no dents - just the wrong colour.

25238655286_f6e008132a_b.jpg

Anyway, with regards to getting it low I began to do some research on hydros. Niall O'Dowds sat great on them and I loved how the subframe literally slapped the ground when he dropped it. I soon realised that I was out of my depth when it came to hydros - after all this car was supposed to be a cheap project and I didn't know enough about hydros to go by a second hand set that would work for me. So with that off the cards it was time to look at something I'm more familiar with... air.

Firstly I picked up a Viair 480c compressor, then I ordered a 4 gallon Speciality Suspensions seamless tank.

24926951105_6394da6f3b_b.jpg

24749510589_7bf5cac5d0_b.jpg

While I was waiting on finding the other bits and pieces I needed I made a start on the boot build, first of all making cardboard templates and then cutting the MDF.

24631490830_ab860b402f_b.jpg

25110971441_6356df5103_b.jpg

It was then I realised that there is no gap on the car that is as wide as the width of the car, even putting the false floor in at an angle wouldn't fit. So I had to modify my design and make it in two pieces
default_sad.png

24908568460_fa0f30b505_b.jpg

Under the floor I then made a mount for the business end of the air setup, using the middle seatbelt bolt as a mount to secure down a piece of mdf that would hold my compressor and management in place.

25177881106_7df7d9c76e_b.jpg

I then started to look at ways to mount the tank and how I was going to position hardlines. This is about as far as I got with it as theres some other things that will have to go in the back too.

25177881026_7b15a2d9fc_b.jpg

Back to the wheels - so as you know I plan to use my E49s on the Mini, however the grey wasn't doing it for me so they were split and sent to Pete Matthews at Paintworkz for a fresh coat of BBS matte gold which I think makes the wheels look soo much better.

24559325219_662d02602e_b.jpg

Unfortunately when I put them back together one of the wheels was leaking like crazy. Having spoke to the previous owner he had informed me that one of the valve holes had been drilled at a weird angle and that was causing the leak. So off they went to Dan Taylor at Wheel Unique to get the hole welded up and redrilled. When they arrived Dan noticed something that I'd missed by taking the previous owners word for it... a nasty crack.

25275863785_ccc2405475_b.jpg

Thankfully Dan is a man who enjoys a challenge so he's welded this for me and is currently tidying up his welds to make sure they seal perfect.

The next piece of the puzzle I picked up last weekend. Having had Airlift V2 management in my MK5 I was keen to run it again as its a system I know very well and because I knew it very well I was keen on picking up a second hand kit that had already been replaced under warranty. A lot of the early manifold had issues with leaky valves and there was also some software issues so picking up a warrantied kit meant that it was less likely to have any faults. After making a few enquiries I found one that had been fitted by Design RMC and had been warrantied with the last 9 months. So off I went, bought it and had it wired up the same day (wires have been tidied since the photo, forgot to take a new one).

25201175149_8ab84657fb_b.jpg

25476000241_0281b53044_b.jpg

This week has been a week of highs and lows. The week started well when I got a phone call to say my seats had been delivered - I'd preordered them months ago for the MK2 but again, I could make them work in the Mini. Sadly this is where things took a turn for the worse, on my way home from work as I was sat at a red light I felt a thud - a thud I'd felt before - someone had run into the back of me. This seems to be a bit of a Dubshed tradition for me as last year a week before the show someone ran into Nikkis Polo while it was parked outside my house. Anyway, I got out to survey the damage fearing the worst but thankfully this wasn't a throw back to my R plate days when the whole boot floor of my Fiesta was mangled in a similar incident. This time there was only a few stress cracks in the paint! The owner admitted that he'd saw the light for another lane change and that he'd took off without realising it was the wrong light. He's agreed to pay for the repairs and I was happy to leave it at that...

25392604181_7b0d6dac17_b.jpg

So back to the seats... Id sat in a few friends cars with Corbeau Club Sports last year and I was amazed how comfortable they are for a bucket seat, esp given that I am a larger gentleman. Other seats I'd sat in where nowhere near as comfy and for the price they were a no brainer. So Nikki picked me a set up for valentines day and I've paired them up with a set of black Takata harnesses.

25366993092_3ce2429c46_b.jpg

They come with side mounts and runners but unfortunately the runners weren't long enough bolt into the factory Mini locations, so I made some adapters out of some aerospace grade 3/8" aluminium that I just had "lying around". This allowed me to bolt the adapter to the floor and then bolt the slider through the adapter at the front and secure it with another bolt in the adapter plate.

24858729993_2e9f0e1c77_b.jpg

25366995482_6d084216cc_b.jpg

25260102750_2bb918b6a9_b.jpg

I've never been a huge fan of the standard Mini slatted front grilles, so picked up a set of JCW Areo grilles on eBay. While the bonnet grille bolts straight in the top bumper grille was never made to fit the standard Cooper S bumper so to make it fit I had to cut a quarter of an inch of plastic out of the back of it, while maintaining the securing tabs. The bumper also needed modification as the tabs don't line up to the same locations so I had to cut new ones with a dremmel. It's at this point I should remind everyone to wear eye protection when cutting stuff, as I soon found myself in the Ulster A&E after a piece of plastic lodged itself in my eye, leaving a nice slice in my cornea! Worth it though as the front end now looks much better...

24898838804_0de439381b_b.jpg

25233749950_99abfe66db_b.jpg

So thats the thread up to date for now, still a lot of work to be done between now and Dubshed. Car is going in to get a load of paint work fixed up next week as theres a lot of handbag related scratches, the new bootlid needs painted and I also will be smoothing the front bumper. I'll try my best to keep this updated as we go from now on...

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini SE
Some dark silver minis for inspiration. Not a fan of bags / hydro but I'm old. They're great cars for the money though, loved mine

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

clrrk

RMS Regular
OP
clrrk
Drives
S14A
Couple of really nice ones there... looking at these ones for inspiration atm though

28eeb-12568140_904451896319711_30977659_n.jpg

12657339_1735454233407398_352856018243201503_o.jpg

12647186_10153941076066103_3451918581092123132_n.jpg

clrrk

RMS Regular
OP
clrrk
Drives
S14A
@PeteMoore your loss is my gain it seems - really enjoyable car to drive. So much nicer now that Ive a better seating position. As I said in another thread I love how the whole car is set up. Nice tight gearbox, pedal position and pressures allow for some nice heel/toe and left foot braking.

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
@PeteMoore your loss is my gain it seems - really enjoyable car to drive. So much nicer now that Ive a better seating position. As I said in another thread I love how the whole car is set up. Nice tight gearbox, pedal position and pressures allow for some nice heel/toe and left foot braking.

I was considering it purely for the charger whine :laughing:

Great handling wee cars, so easy to make them look special too. But sadly for me, utterly useless size wise. That noise though :laughing:

clrrk

RMS Regular
OP
clrrk
Drives
S14A
Yeh the noise is a great selling point, the whine is addictive - find myself driving higher up the rev range because of it - lots of nice pops and bangs too.

Wild Thing

RMS Regular
What is it with youngsters and slapped cars. I like your line of thought but hate hydros or low low coilovers, but then again i am old lol. Fantastic wee motors. Check your sc oil sometime

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Nice to hear that with the charger upgrades they are as quick as a mapped mk5.

They really are one of the best steering little hatches for the money IMO. Great craic and only a matter of time before they get proper recognition for what they are.

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
Great work, would love one of these with a few mods someday.

Prefer the oem wheels though.

clrrk

RMS Regular
OP
clrrk
Drives
S14A
@Wild Thing does 30 still count as a youngster? :p

@Coog don't get me wrong, 0-100 theres not much in them but after that the MK5 would have had it all day. Looking into injector & intercooler upgrades and a map which would bring it up to around the mid 200's then it would probably have the GTI in its back pocket. but yeah, they are definitely underrated for what they are - too often just tagged as a girls car before anyone gives them the proper attention.

@Lappintyre def a itch you have to scratch at some stage. Wheels mightn't be to everyones tastes, but when you have a set of rare magnesium race wheels sat in your garage that bolt straight onto the car it would be a shame not to use them.

Last edited:

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Yeah I had a MK5 with revo and it would have destroyed my R53 but it's nice to know that with a few tweaks I could get close to it power wise. I couldn't really tell stock vs stock if there was much in it using the old bum dyno. R53 has a much more linear power delivery so it doesn't give you the thump the GTI does. I know one thing though, the MINI would absolutely destroy the MK5 on a back-road. Corner entry speeds and roundabouts are absolutely hilarious, especially if you've a passenger that thinks they're a chicks car ;)

Liking the wheels you took off, not sure I would be bothered with keeping the BBS ones clean but maybe show wheels only?

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini SE
Might need a cam to get to mid 200s. Inter cooler won't give you more power, just better recovery times. If you have the money, buy a GP inter cooler, if not, GRS Motorsport Version. Who are you thinking of for mapping?

jimcupra

RMS Regular
I loved mine I bought it 9 years ago best handling car I have owned although the 197 was good to. The mini had it just for the whine from the charger.
Your wee car looks great although I'm also old and don't get air suspension or hydro, unless it's on a lowrider bouncing along (y).
But I get what you young uns are doing I tip my hat to you

clrrk

RMS Regular
OP
clrrk
Drives
S14A
Just picked up more parts. As some of you may know, I'm a bit of a Momo team fan. I had the 280 in my MK4 and a 300 in my MK5 however I'd bought a 350mm Renown Monaco with red stitch for the MK2 which I'd thought about using in the Mini. After driving it for a few weeks I decided that I didn't want to lose my cruise control and radio controls so I came up with a new plan...

After a few conversations with Arek I decided to retrim the 3 spoke OEM wheel in suede with grey stitch. They done a great job in replicating the stitching and joins and even thickened the wheel up for me.

25531767382_a47cfc9548_b.jpg

clrrk

RMS Regular
OP
clrrk
Drives
S14A
Cheers @Ian A - next big stage is happening this weekend, I reckon you'll like it too

clrrk

RMS Regular
OP
clrrk
Drives
S14A
So a quick update - other big things in the works but none of them complete as of yet. Anyway, I managed to scratch the living ***** out of the seats when making the custom rails and bolting the seats in and out at least a dozen times trying to find my perfect seating position so decided to colour code the backs to match the car

25283088444_4c011c2f02_b.jpg

clrrk

RMS Regular
OP
clrrk
Drives
S14A
Got the air installed over the weekend. Fitted it on Saturday and when I aired it out I was less than impressed as I was still able to get my foot under the front of the car, so I took to cutting a few things and this is the end result.

25852613271_224e00bec7_b.jpg

Now to get the paint finished and to get everything put back together

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.