Trailer Test

Bryan

RMS Regular
I can't find anything on a search for this. Has anyone on here done the trailer test? I've been towing trailers since I passed my test, illegally, but I think it's about time I actually got the license.

What is involved with the trailer test, how many lessions are required (I could probably show them a thing or two) and how long does it take?

Andy044

RMS Regular
Drives
^^^^^^
Get in touch with my cousin Wendy at Wendy's Trailer training she will keep you right.
The gist of it has been covered on here before, there is several actions that they cover along with about an hr of road time testing.
They cover
Unhitching and rehitching
Emergency stop
Reversing exercise
It's all on her website

Wendy's Trailer Training Covering NI

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I can't find anything on a search for this. Has anyone on here done the trailer test? I've been towing trailers since I passed my test, illegally, but I think it's about time I actually got the license.

What is involved with the trailer test, how many lessions are required (I could probably show them a thing or two) and how long does it take?

lol apparently everyone says that. And the hardest to train are the boys that have been towing for years round the farm because they've the worst habits.

The manoeuvring bit round a yard is about 20% of the test. The rest is all on road.

Its fairly easy, I managed it without any minors but you will need 2/3 lessons just to drop the old habits and remember all the stuff they had you do in your driving test like shuffling the wheel and handbrake use, etc.

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
As Coog says like most we have been towing for years.

I done mine a few years ago through Swift in Belfast.

Was 3 lessons and the test. Lessons are good to get rid of the bad habits.

j44nty

RMS Regular
We used sandy authur training in work. I got my bus and trailer last year. D1+e
The hardest part for me by far was the part you have to reverse the bus up to the trailer and stop under the hitch using only mirrors was near on impossible plus it the trailer touches the bumper that's it test over. I ended up putting masking tape on the trailer mud gaurd and back of the bus when they lined upon my mirror I was in the right place.
I didn't find the test easy at all and ended up with the maximum amount of minors as I pulled into the test centre lucky I just got it.

Good luck
I had never done a hazard perception test either and failed it 3 times lol.

j44nty

RMS Regular
This is the test course after the maneuver you pull forward Un hitch the trailer reverse in beside the trailer then the dreaded part of hated pulling forward and re attaching the trailer. If you have a yard at the house or a field would be worth marking out this course and giving it a crack before you hit the test centre.
trailer_reversing.gif

Sorry for the typos my s6 is rubbish for predictive text

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
My first lesson was spent practising that. Once you've the tape in the right places you can have it lined up pretty quickly. I actually found the hardest part the under bonnet checks. Didn't get any help and took about 5 minutes to find everything lol.

Also worth bearing in mind that if you plan to use your own car and have a problem with it on test day, you'll fail. Mate of mine had a fuse blow and they couldn't check the trailer lights. Didn't even make it out of the test centre. He lost the fee too.

Bryan

RMS Regular
OP
Bryan
I just see the whole thing as a complete waste of money. Sure there are people out there who probably can't tow a trailer to save their lives but these people won't even attempt it. For the rest of us the experience we have towing the trailer is much more important. Does the test tell you what to do if your trailer goes into a speed wobble fully loaded?! That's the most frightening thing ever and you must resist the urge to stamp on the brakes. In fact, I found that actually slowly accelerating a tiny bit and then lift your foot of the accelerator and let it slow itself down brings it back out of it. It's the same as the whole 3.5 tonne thing. I would like to own a large motorhome at some stage in my life but it means I'd have to do the 3.5-7.5 tonne test. I've no interest in driving a 7.5 tonne lorry but they are classed as the same thing. And at the same time my mum is allowed to just hop in and go - and she wouldn't be safe driving something like that.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
To be honest if its properly loaded and you're set up appropriately that's a situation you shouldn't encounter. It happened to us once when we broke the steering arms on the landcruiser and had no choice but to reverse it on the trailer, which meant the weight was at the back.

You do get told what to do during the lessons which meant I knew to nail the throttle, but for obvious reasons you don't get to practice it during the lessons lol

The thing that gets me is that my Mrs can tow what she wants and can drive a big lorry because she got the test before me :worried:

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
You won't be able to unfortunately. It has to be a Jeep due to MAM of the trailef. The trailer also has to be a certain size. Basically a horse box....

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
You won't be able to unfortunately. It has to be a Jeep due to MAM of the trailef. The trailer also has to be a certain size. Basically a horse box....

No it doesn't. I did mine in the instructors corsa and twin axle box trailer.

I read something last week that said the rule on the tow vehicle having to have a max towing weight greater or equal to the trailer MAM has now been removed and instead you can now tow any trailer but must not load it beyond the tow vehicles max permitted towing weight. ie you can put a 3500kg rated trailer behind a car rated to tow 2000kgs but can only load the trailer such that trailer and load do not exceed 2000kgs. Cant remember where I read it but was probably on the internet so would require verification.

richie_mck

RMS Regular
Slightly off topic but after trying to get through to dva in coleraine without success does anyone know if there is a fee required to add the b+e to your licence (test already done). I need to get the stuff sent off before I loose it

Bryan

RMS Regular
OP
Bryan
Again off topic but what was the test like? What did it cost you? I've been quoted £270 for the lessions, use the Jeep & Trailer plus £66 test fee.

richie_mck

RMS Regular
Again off topic but what was the test like? What did it cost you? I've been quoted £270 for the lessions, use the Jeep & Trailer plus £66 test fee.

Did mine with Ian kettyle and because I already knew how to drive and reverse with the trainer he cut the course down, ended up costing me £160 for some lessons to get rid of bad habits, including lending the car and trailer for the test. He uses a Saab 9-3 4x4 thingy

Last edited:

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
Did mine with Ian kettyle and because I could already knew how to drive and reverse with the trainer he cut the course down, ended up costing me £160 for some lessons to get rid of bad habits, including lending the car and trailer for the test. He uses a Saab 9-3 4x4 thingy
I used him too, very good and won't give you more lessons that you actually need.

A.M.Q.R.

RMS Regular
Drives
Golf GT TSI
Slightly off topic but after trying to get through to dva in coleraine without success does anyone know if there is a fee required to add the b+e to your licence (test already done). I need to get the stuff sent off before I loose it

I find it handier to send a homing pigeon when contacting the dva in Coleraine.

Upgrading after test pass is free

richie_mck

RMS Regular
I find it handier to send a homing pigeon when contacting the dva in Coleraine.

Upgrading after test pass is free

Think I might just go up to coleraine and sort it there rather than sending the documents off in the post

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
I sent mine of and got the licence back in a couple of weeks.

Ian A

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Bump up.

Does anyone recommend anyone in particular for lessons and test prep in south east Antrim area?

Dan.86

RMS Regular
Bump! My dad has deemed it handy if I get the trailer test to help with the business when required.

Any recommendations? I’m from Ards and would preferably need to be VAT register. Ian’s aren’t but are £299 for the intensive day course.