Riding over to Silverstone MotoGP this year

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

petemotox

RMS Member
Hey folks,

I'm riding over to Silverstone this year on small capacity bikes with a bunch of mates. Does anyone have a good route suggestion (avoiding motorways)? I've ridden over before but I horsed it straight to the track. We don't mind stopping over somewhere enroute for a night or two :grinning:

Cheers in advance,
Pete

Dusty

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda CR-V
Mate of mine gets the Dublin ferry and heads over the Welsh mountains. Not sure if the exact route but it's a start...

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Ive only been to SS via the motorway, but have travelled to Birmingham once via Dublin, Holyhead through North Wales and it was good, but didn't do the mountains.

Sounds like a fun trip for sure; chin on the tank, slipstreaming your mates down the hills.

Try the RAC route planner. Something like Holyhead to Silverstone and click advanced options, avoid motorways. Or ferry to Liverpool and go from there. Its a bit closer.

petemotox

RMS Member
OP
petemotox
cheers, yeah I've stuck it into google maps to avoid motorways. It would be cool if someone knew of anywhere worth stopping for the night enroute etc

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
I stopped in Chester once to waste half a day before getting the boat. Nice town and friendly people but can't for the life of me remember the name of the place I stayed, lol.

Dusty

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda CR-V
What dates are you planning mate? A few of us are riding over on 600's.

Possibly leaving 24th, camping at nearby site, coming home monday 26th.

petemotox

RMS Member
OP
petemotox
24th to the 28th are our dates atm! Def will have to meet for a bit of craic, are you planning on riding directly to the track on the thurs?

Dusty

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda CR-V
24th to the 28th are our dates atm! Def will have to meet for a bit of craic, are you planning on riding directly to the track on the thurs?

We're catching the 8.45am ferry out of Dublin and if the weather is good we're maybe going to swing by the Mach Loop and catch some fast jet action if there is any that day. If the weather is pish it'll be "waterproofs on, get there as quick as possible and find a pub"

Whittlebury camp site is £36 for a bike and tent if it's any good to you, 5 minute walk to the track.

Whittlebury Booking System

petemotox

RMS Member
OP
petemotox
Class, the jet's are a good idea! We stayed in the official campsite a few years back and it was some job (tractor lifts to the track, atm, toilets/showers, beer, more beer, freestyle mx show, rock bands etc..), have you ever stayed there? Think it was more like a £100 notes each though I think.

Just sorted my bike... she's a 50cc 2 stroke, so I'll be tootling along to say the least yeeeeha!

Dusty

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda CR-V
Class, the jet's are a good idea! We stayed in the official campsite a few years back and it was some job (tractor lifts to the track, atm, toilets/showers, beer, more beer, freestyle mx show, rock bands etc..), have you ever stayed there? Think it was more like a £100 notes each though I think.

Just sorted my bike... she's a 50cc 2 stroke, so I'll be tootling along to say the least yeeeeha!

No I haven't stayed at the official site, this will be my first trip over, I've seen the video of it all and it looks great, I think we'll take a walk around it if we're allowed to.

Fair play to you on a 50cc!! Hope you're not bringing too much luggage with you!

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Stayed in the Dadford road campsite for MotoGP and its cheaper and very handy, just across the road from the main site. But you feel a bit left out at night, missing out on all the craic, the music and the bars of the main site when you aren't allowed in.
The Dadford Road itself is an alternative way of getting out of there on Sunday pm after its over, if you're in a car. Avoids the main roads.

Dusty

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda CR-V
Stayed in the Dadford road campsite for MotoGP and its cheaper and very handy, just across the road from the main site. But you feel a bit left out at night, missing out on all the craic, the music and the bars of the main site when you aren't allowed in.
The Dadford Road itself is an alternative way of getting out of there on Sunday pm after its over, if you're in a car. Avoids the main roads.

Whittlebury has a beer tent a live entertainment on the Friday and Saturday nights too, I'm told there is a pub five minutes away.

I'd say by the time we arrive on thursday and get set up we'll be ready for a hot meal, few pints and collapse until Friday morning :grinning:

petemotox

RMS Member
OP
petemotox
No I haven't stayed at the official site, this will be my first trip over, I've seen the video of it all and it looks great, I think we'll take a walk around it if we're allowed to.

Fair play to you on a 50cc!! Hope you're not bringing too much luggage with you!
Haha the wee 50cc is gonna be a challenge alright! Official campsite or Whittlebury for us then :grinning: Have you booked your ferry tickets already? Were you able to get any deals/coupons?

Dusty

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda CR-V
Haha the wee 50cc is gonna be a challenge alright! Official campsite or Whittlebury for us then :grinning: Have you booked your ferry tickets already? Were you able to get any deals/coupons?

Haven't booked the ferry yet, Irish ferries were just over £90 but jumped to £125 ish. Don't know of any coupons, if i hear I'll let you know if you do likewise that would be spiffing :grinning:

Mate stayed at whittlebury before, said they were very accomodating and charged his phone for him and all that stuff.

Dusty

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda CR-V
Should also say, there's a tesco ten minutes away apparently so you're not going to be stuck if you forget something or need anything.

like alcohol..........

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.