Smart Parking Fine - Anyone Else?

Father Stack

RMS Regular
Drives
VRS
PEA/Smart fines etc aren't worth the paper they're written on. Bin immediately, usually. Same goes for the clamps. If you leave it for a couple of days they know they're not going to get paid so remove it to place on some other poor sod's car.

The fact this was a rental fine though changes things. Presumably the fine went to them, and they're hounding you for it? I can't imagine any rental company is going to want this hanging over them, whether they know the PEA are a load of criminals or not.

Topmark

RMS Regular
OP
Topmark
What happens if you get a letter from a debt collection agency? :relieved: The only fear I really have is any adverse effect not paying this could have on a credit rating. Would be so unfortunate be be disadvantaged by something as silly as sometime in the future. Hoping someone here knows if this is a possibility for sure rather than guessing.

WSM

RMS Regular
Drives
R8
What happens if you get a letter from a debt collection agency? :relieved: The only fear I really have is any adverse effect not paying this could have on a credit rating. Would be so unfortunate be be disadvantaged by something as silly as sometime in the future. Hoping someone here knows if this is a possibility for sure rather than guessing.
Ignore it at all costs. It's not legal. It's not enforceable. You'll get a debt collector letter & most likely a 'ropey' solicitors letter. Ignore. Ignore. Ignore.

Credit Rating is also generally bull****, ignore that as well.

ChrisR

RMS Regular
Drives
MK3 Leon 1.4tsi
I questioned non payment of house management fees affecting my credit score and in NI it would have to go to court before non payment can affect credit score so i'd imagine this type of payment would be the same. (obviously direct debits etc are different)

WSM

RMS Regular
Drives
R8
I would hope not, but as a general rule I wouldn't ignore your credit rating.
If it makes you happy to know your score then I'm glad. It's not something I've ever cared about and I don't believe I've ever been refused credit.

Topmark

RMS Regular
OP
Topmark
I'd still like to find out from someone who really knows this area officially, but from some internet research, your credit rating will only be altered if you are taken to court, goes in the parking company's favour and at that point you still refuse to pay. So a lot has to happen before it gets to that... or so the internet says.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Got a letter from Smart Parking this morning (not very smart imo) saying I had over stayed my welcome at connswater lol

Photographed me at 06.44 and again at 15.56 same day

Checked my starbucks app and it has been getting a coffee at these times

Also checked my work clock ins and they are 06.57 and 16.30

I rang them to tell them they ain't that smart but are closed - where do I go to from here? I want to clear this up rather than ignore it to avoid future mail but I am in and out of starbucks all the time so don't want repeat letters - all be it this is the first one I have received since they opened and have been in more than once twice a day ffs

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Ignore. You'll get a few letters then they'll stop. Once you engage with them, they will hound you.

A6Avant

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Avant
My mother got one of these from parking in Omagh and her offence was that she entered an incorrect digit on the machine when typing in her registration number. She has a valid ticket for the times shown on her fine but they wont accept it as it isnt for her reg.

She has written to them twice now and they are upping the fine with every correspondance they have. She has no intention of paying and wants to get them to take it to court. Because if they do, they’ll not have a leg to stand on.

Gaz

Drives
M4 Comp Pack
My mother got one of these from parking in Omagh and her offence was that she entered an incorrect digit on the machine when typing in her registration number. She has a valid ticket for the times shown on her fine but they wont accept it as it isnt for her reg.

She has written to them twice now and they are upping the fine with every correspondance they have. She has no intention of paying and wants to get them to take it to court. Because if they do, they’ll not have a leg to stand on.

Surely easier to ignore them, pretend they don't exist and nothing more will happen anyway?

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Id actually report it to Starbucks manager

So took your advice and called into Starbucks after work to speak to the manager. He instantly asked if I had the letter and asked for the reference number. He said he would email and get it cancelled.

He informed me that over 3 hours parking you get this letter but if you're a genuine customer you can email in advance??? My point was I didn't stay and they failed to capture me leaving after coffee 1 and arriving before coffee 2.

Lesson learned, I drink too much expensive coffee.

Bedhead

RMS Regular
Drives
Mundaneo, Scudo
Got a letter from Smart Parking this morning (not very smart imo) saying I had over stayed my welcome at connswater lol

Big balls up with Connswater at the minute. The missus works in that new Home Bargains, she did her shift, got a letter, every other staff member got a letter for each shift, the full timers got 5 or 6. Apparently Smart were given the details of the employees vehicles but didn't bother to input them into the system.

They really are ****ing incompetent.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Big balls up with Connswater at the minute. The missus works in that new Home Bargains, she did her shift, got a letter, every other staff member got a letter for each shift, the full timers got 5 or 6. Apparently Smart were given the details of the employees vehicles but didn't bother to input them into the system.

They really are ****ing incompetent.

I don't understand how they didn't get the photo of me leaving the first time and returning the second time

I think they were just chancing their arm that id pay up showing me a picture of my initial arrival and my second time leaving lol

Bedhead

RMS Regular
Drives
Mundaneo, Scudo
I don't understand how they didn't get the photo of me leaving the first time and returning the second time

I think they were just chancing their arm that id pay up showing me a picture of my initial arrival and my second time leaving lol

Might be automatically built into the sum to do exactly that.

Gaz

Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Well until judges get involved, back fired for this woman when she ignored them. Scotland though, but it could happen here if the companies push for legal action.

Private parking tickets woman bankrupt

Legislation is different here, and unless the fine is for tens of thousands, it would never be worth their time pursuing it in NI. Hence why it's best to ignore them. I have done so for years.