Anyone for Golf? VW's Junior Golf to the Fore!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
See the blog feature on this - Back in the mid-80s, Volkswagen supported some young, up and coming rally talent by establishing the Volkswagen Junior Rally Team. At a time when the gap between club level motorsport and world level motorsport was widening at an ever increasing rate of knots - this was in the midst of the Group B era after all - it was Volkswagen's bid to find the next British rally star.
Read the Full Article Here

Read the Entire Article Here

cormac81

RMS Regular
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb
Very very cool. Loved that article Graham. Often thought about doing up my golf with the same livery.

Graham

RMS Photographer
OP
Graham
Drives
Press Cars
Very very cool. Loved that article Graham. Often thought about doing up my golf with the same livery.
I can only be thanked for finding the car, digging at its history and taking the images - colleague Jonathan MacDonald is the man responsible for the scribbles :grinning:

I do love finding this rare stuff though and i believe the father of @RCT is the main man to blame for this car getting the livery and doing a few slowly sideways events lol

To think this is one of only four built and one of only two known to remain is quite something else, the other known car lives in a VW dealer in the IOM and Billy that owns this one has helped lots with the other car receiving all the right parts to make it 'as was'

Rallyfreaks

RMS Regular
Drives
Golfs
Love this wee article - think its great that motorsport cars with bit of a local connection are restored and brought back to as they were when new..

I believe i was fortunate enough to co-drive in this car with Colin Burns back in the 90s - great to see it on these pages, especially as its a Golf!!

Graham

RMS Photographer
OP
Graham
Drives
Press Cars
Love this wee article - think its great that motorsport cars with bit of a local connection are restored and brought back to as they were when new..

I believe i was fortunate enough to co-drive in this car with Colin Burns back in the 90s - great to see it on these pages, especially as its a Golf!!
That's the man who rallied it alright, he got it from Robin Philips I think who bought it from VW, Billy the current owner looked after it for him and it ran a local reg like CBZ 4441 or something like that during Colins time

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
That's the man who rallied it alright, he got it from Robin Philips I think who bought it from VW, Billy the current owner looked after it for him and it ran a local reg like CBZ 4441 or something like that during Colins time

It ran DDZ 9333 if memory serves me right!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.