MK7 Golf R

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
I have a Golf R estate and the DSG can be a bit annoying. I think you made the right choice with the manual. The DSG rarely wants to use the torque and seems to change down too soon. And its very slow when it comes to 3 point turns. Going from drive to reverse and vise-versa seems to take forever.
Before I had the Golf R I had an M135i, the 8 speed in that car is a million times better. Smoother and seems to always be the right gear, sometimes I used to think it was psychic.
My estate is leased through Agnews and goes back in June, so if your still thinking an estate would a perfect all rounder then there will a nice red one on the used car lot soon enough!

View attachment 187625
I respectfully disagree.........

I generally prefer manuals and have had a 335D x-drive with the 8 speed zf box. The 2 things annoyed me about the car were the poor suspension and the gearbox. The box was great for normal driving but for spirited driving it didn't want to know. In manual mode it did what it wanted, you could ask it to hold a gear but it always ignored you and did what it wanted. I just gave up and accepted that it was best to leave it to its own devices.

When looking for a Golf I wanted a manual after having the 335D and a couple of new Focus's one of which was an St, Ford's have good gear changes.

So I went and drove a manual Golf R, not that impressed, just felt vague and rubbery. Went and drove a DSG, great sharp seamless changes and in manual mode it does what you ask of it. The DSG changes or farts can be just heard but are not loud from in the car and they sound good anyway.

I love the DSG Golf R a fast, practical, comfortable everyday car that doesn't shout like a Focus RS

loud n low

RMS Regular
I've gone full circle on it,I think it's down to the fact that most of the hipstered morons that put up videos of themselves tearing through city centres and after all the racket........theres this horrible raspy fart.

Not saying it's crap or anything,it's just a bit like a twincam,I'd love one but would feel like a "boyracer scumbag" driving about in something that sounded like that.

AC

RMS Regular
@Ian A car is looking class! How are you finding it in comparison to your old MK5?

I’ve read reports of the build quality not being great in the 7 in comparison. I drove the 7.5 with the Akra exhaust that Agnews had and it sounded and drove great but interested to know what their like to live with.

Currently on the lookout for a white one on Prets myself but getting one with the right spec for the right money is proving to be harder than I thought.

ChrisL

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3 (8V)
For a daily I'd prefer DSG over all, however it's not going to beat the feel of a manual when youre on a spirited drive.

Ian A

RMS Regular
OP
Ian A
Drives
VW Golf GTI
@Ian A car is looking class! How are you finding it in comparison to your old MK5?

I’ve read reports of the build quality not being great in the 7 in comparison. I drove the 7.5 with the Akra exhaust that Agnews had and it sounded and drove great but interested to know what their like to live with.

Currently on the lookout for a white one on Prets myself but getting one with the right spec for the right money is proving to be harder than I thought.

World apart from the mk5. The modern driver aids spoil you for daily duties, then it’s seriously capable when you wanna drive hard. No build quality complaints, but then I haven’t done anything other than drive it.

Never out of race mode either. Don’t see why you would.

Only gripe is that the engines a wee bit lazy feeling below 3k rpm. My mk6 was tuned to similar power but from memory it picked up far lower down the revs. Will put that JB1 in this afternoon and see the difference.

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
I didn't say the BMW 8 speed wasn't a good box, just that's not involving, that's why the M cars have DCT gearboxs.............more like a dsg.

Ian A

RMS Regular
OP
Ian A
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Over a year and no updates, how times change.

Car will be going up for sale shortly, I’m off to New Zealand for 6 months to see a bit of the world.

57290FC9-5B55-4566-B1D1-08C775955C00.jpeg
0DCBB31A-5AE1-43FC-83EF-A346263CC712.jpeg
8C2A3276-E1A8-4AD5-934A-0E1DC111B20E.jpeg

The golf has been nothing short of fantastic throughout these last 16 months.

Fast, practical, easy to run, comfortable, looked great.

I still maintain that if you want 1 machine to do absolutely everything with, you cannot get better than these. They have to be the best all rounders out there. Be very sad to see it sold.

Slide in the DMs if you’re interested.