Coopers Blue L**US - IS200

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
7AD19BE8-7ED3-415D-A6A0-8FFD80E0AE88.jpeg
Or to use the full and unabridged Gumtree Title: Straight Outta England

So what do you think? Oh it wasn't the blue vehicle from a lightweight sportscar manufacturer that also begins with L and has 5 letters? Oh Cooper, you think you are so smart with your words.

Well it's my money and my thread. So there.

Anyway….

I've just been welcomed aboard European Causeway by what sounds like Richard Hammond's uncle and whilst being informed of the wide range of drinks and snacks at the Poets Bar, I thought I would share my initial thoughts on what has become a somewhat iconic and equally maligned rear driven vehicle.

First of all, why? And you know what, it was a case of why not. The Lexus IS200 is about to celebrate it's 20th birthday. Values have pretty much bottomed out, whilst popularity in local circles (geddit) has gone through the roof. Not a minute goes by on the in dash screen of @chris_b's M3 that, at some stage during an Oliver Conlon country rendition, there isn't a peroxide haired lass from the west of the country threading an IS in the vacinity of a traffic cone.

Like the little engine that could, a light went on in my head: that blonde could be me.

The Evora was hastily advertised, buyer found and it moved to pastures new just recently. And the search began. Gumtree. Ebay. More Gumtree. And in the sea of SE cars and automatics, the holy grail appeared. A genuine sport. Still in its natural English habitat. Just waiting to be outed.

And so a price was agreed, and before I knew it ferries were booked. The excitement palpable. Anyone could see it. Neck of red. Checked shirt glued to my armpits. All the signs were there.

As a point of note, there was some sort of important sheep sale in Scotland, so on tonight's ferry you would have been forgiven for thinking it was an outing of the local IS enthusiasts cars and coffee, and donuts.

So yes the car, you want to hear about the car. Well what can I say. With the turn of the key, all remaining horses (of 2001's original contingent of 155bhp) barked into life. And before I knew it I was extracting all power available through the closely stacked Sport gearbox. Did I say it was a genuine sport?

Sport etched in the window quarters. Alloy pedals (classic ripspeed design, well done Toyota). And of course the fabled differential of limited slip. We look forward to testing that, when the car develops enough power to do so.

And so as I devour a lovingly prepared cube of italian food on the Causeway, complete with chips and carrots, I look forward to bringing yet another IS200 straight outta England.

Last edited:

mn5587

RMS Regular
Drives
CLK 55 AMG
LOL! Well done. **** the haters!

What does it actually drive like? Is there any go in them at all?

What are your plans for it?

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
Is Richard Hammond on that boat because there is no way you wrote all that ! :laughing:

See you tomorrow evening to ‘check’ her out ;)

Cooper

Site Manager
OP
Cooper
Drives
C63 / Emira
LOL! Well done. **** the haters!

What does it actually drive like? Is there any go in them at all?

What are your plans for it?
These things you speak of. Of which I do not give any.

This particular car seems to drive well. 18 years and a shade over 120k does show on the drivetrain, don't get me wrong. But on the move as such, it sits beautifully one A roads and carriageways. Aplomb. Put that word in there somewhere.

I was also well aware of the 6 pot 2 litre and how sluggish they are. They need to be revved, yet the redline comes just after 6k. Saving grace is 3rd-6th are closely stacked (a rarity) so whatever morsels of torque are available you get to exploit them.

The cabin is great. The best feature without a shadow of a doubt is the cluster gauge, the slowdometer, or 'what you could have won'.

It's based on a chronometer style watch face and it is a timeless design that no doubt made the new owner feel good that he didn't buy that e46 330i. As the aforementioned 3 series blew him into the weeds. With its one wheeling open diff.

Anyway, someone post a pic of Lexus clocks. I have no ope of google images on le Causeway.

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
Just for the record, I did list out the various things required to make it ‘bombproof’ so should the worst happen, refer back to this post Andy and ask yourself, did I do those things ???

Cooper

Site Manager
OP
Cooper
Drives
C63 / Emira
Are these as bad as people say in petrol?
Fancy one of these myself to scratch an itch
If you like slow, thirsty and associated with the lifestyle of a close knit extended family then its certainly for you. May cause further itching depending if it is a 'turns both ways' local car.

mn5587

RMS Regular
Drives
CLK 55 AMG
How cool are they. Literally the only cool thing about the car. Until you accelerate, then they become depressingly clear.

They do look cool! And it's what is on the inside that counts right??

I hope you cut the springs clean out of it suuur

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
How cool are they. Literally the only cool thing about the car. Until you accelerate, then they become depressingly clear.
Wash your mouth out ! The whole car is cool and after what I put 9 of them through for 5 months I can hand on heart say there is not another car on the planet capable of what those little bas***ds can take !

Heroes, heroes the lot of them

Last edited:

Nigelo

RMS Regular
I sometimes like to think of my old cars like daughters, they leave me to go live a life with their chosen partners, who will look after, possibly even cherish them.

I hope your ready for when your daughter Lexus has had its arse ripped to shreds, with a 'whip', and interior half missing, with a donegal '18 tag on its rear , by a man called Donal.

:joy::p

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.