Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
Get 888 on for next year and you'll see 1:10 no bother :cool:

Then make sure to head for Mondello, look up the OTD days (y)

Well funnily enough the AD08Rs were showing sings of wear on Sunday. I may well look up something stickier, though the AD08Rs were great value for money. I think that would help me punching out of the hairpin and chicane.

I'll probably do some tyre rotation and finish them off for the season. Then I'll have fresh tyres for next season...

StephenDc2

RMS Regular
The car is progressing very nicely (y)

It’s good to see someone do things right and add one or 2 parts at a time and gauge the improvements instead of doing everything at once and hoping it will somehow work

Your lines are very good in the video and driving is smooth so with a reliable car to match you can’t ask for much more

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
The car is progressing very nicely (y)

It’s good to see someone do things right and add one or 2 parts at a time and gauge the improvements instead of doing everything at once and hoping it will somehow work

Your lines are very good in the video and driving is smooth so with a reliable car to match you can’t ask for much more

Ta very much Stephen.

As you well know at times it's hard to know what exactly will benefit most... I know there is more in me and the car. However there is a level of needing to drive the car home and realistically I'm out having fun... Possibly a half cage, but I may meet up with one of the local MSA guys to see what that will restrict me to...

Thanks also for the compliments on the driving, it means alot from someone with your experience (y). Arguably a little more aggression with the throttle on some of the corner exits would shave some time off. Either way my lines were helped massively after going out with Donal.

I'm at the cusp of taking the car to the next level, which could well be a big expense.

Last edited:

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
I’m surprised the supercharger update hasn’t happened yet

Who told you lol! Or erm, I don't know what you mean.

I have actually been looking at the supercharger options. Doing an N/A build the way I would want, would be incredibly expensive and offer minimal gains. I'd also want the thing to be reliable... but I'm keener to tweak the chassis more and learn how to drive the thing faster than resort to MORE POWER!!

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
The right way to go there. Power is fun but only gets you to the next corner ;)

Kirkistown is a power circuit, but if you go to Mondello you will be surprised how little difference power makes!

It will happen though :joy::joy::joy:

Absolutely no point at all messing with the N/A setup, Mr Honda made it perfect out of the box :cool:

StephenDc2

RMS Regular
Ta very much Stephen.

As you well know at times it's hard to know what exactly will benefit most... I know there is more in me and the car. However there is a level of needing to drive the car home and realistically I'm out having fun... Possibly a half cage, but I may meet up with one of the local MSA guys to see what that will restrict me to...

Thanks also for the compliments on the driving, it means alot from someone with your experience (y). Arguably a little more aggression with the throttle on some of the corner exits would shave some time off. Either way my lines were helped massively after going out with Donal.

I'm at the cusp of taking the car to the next level, which could well be a big expense.

I’m no expert but I’ve done a load of laps of Kirkistown and It’s easy to see when someone is driving well

Donal knows his way around there better than most so I’m sure his guidance has helped a lot which is good to see

I was in the same position as yourself doing trackdays and always trying to improve and there is a point at which there is no return and a trackday/fast road car starts to turn in to a dedicated trackday/ race car and it all depends what you are after

As Sven mentions Kirkistown is a power circuit but there is still a load of time in the car without touching the engine. More power can also lead to more problems esp when adding boost

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
I’m no expert but I’ve done a load of laps of Kirkistown and It’s easy to see when someone is driving well

Donal knows his way around there better than most so I’m sure his guidance has helped a lot which is good to see

I was in the same position as yourself doing trackdays and always trying to improve and there is a point at which there is no return and a trackday/fast road car starts to turn in to a dedicated trackday/ race car and it all depends what you are after

As Sven mentions Kirkistown is a power circuit but there is still a load of time in the car without touching the engine. More power can also lead to more problems esp when adding boost

Your quite right. She isn't much of a road car any more. But thats half the appeal.

I still have the spare head in the garage, so it may still be worth an OE style rebuild, keep the JDM cams that are in it and maybe throw on an RRC inlet. That should be reliable and a straight forward swap over. At least it means everything has been freshened up. Though it may only need a handful of horsies.

I'm also looking at the rear lower control arms, moving over to a bearing setup over a bush. I may also adjust the rear ARB to full stiff, to see how that balances things out.

I wouldn't mind getting a few more cheap wins on weight savings too.

Perhaps lighter wheels...

I may also look at the Hybrid Racing shifter. More to try and get a more solid feel to the shifter assembly.

Plenty of time to keep futtering.

Last edited:

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
A stiffer rear arb will reduce rear end grip in corners, even more so under trail braking. If that is what you were after :innocent: It will not in itself affect under steer.

StephenDc2

RMS Regular
Your quite right. She isn't much of a road car any more. But thats half the appeal.

I still have the spare head in the garage, so it may still be worth an OE style rebuild, keep the JDM cams that are in it and maybe throw on an RRC inlet. That should be reliable and a straight forward swap over. At least it means everything has been freshened up. Though it may only need a handful of horsies.

I'm also looking at the rear lower control arms, moving over to a bearing setup over a bush. I may also adjust the rear ARB to full stiff, to see how that balances things out.

I wouldn't mind getting a few more cheap wins on weight savings too.

Perhaps lighter wheels...

I may also look at the Hybrid Racing shifter. More to try and get a more solid feel to the shifter assembly.

Plenty of time to keep futtering.

IMO its definitely worth refreshing the head, fitting the JDM cams with oem springs etc as that's all you need then breathing bolt-ons to suit and a map

We compared our standard EP3 with an exhaust only to Harry's Grey EP3 (My old car) which has an untouched engine with a DC5 intake manifold, DC ex. manifold and a map and the difference is night and day imo for NA mods. When you are in the car the torque esp in the mid range where a standard EP3 lacks is very noticeable and the lower vtec setpoint really helps at times

Harry's car is tuned by TDI-north and the map is very good but I have been using AP-Performance in Galway for the past 6 years or so and couldn't recommend him more... the map itself and the attention to detail on every car he has tuned for me has been next to none

Gearing is also a great help on a Honda as I'm sure you know

The likes of AREA Motorsport will give you good advice and support for handling improvements and setup options off the shelf, I know a bit about the EP3 chassis but I'm more familiar with the DC2/EK era of cars

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
IMO its definitely worth refreshing the head, fitting the JDM cams with oem springs etc as that's all you need then breathing bolt-ons to suit and a map

We compared our standard EP3 with an exhaust only to Harry's Grey EP3 (My old car) which has an untouched engine with a DC5 intake manifold, DC ex. manifold and a map and the difference is night and day imo for NA mods. When you are in the car the torque esp in the mid range where a standard EP3 lacks is very noticeable and the lower vtec setpoint really helps at times

Harry's car is tuned by TDI-north and the map is very good but I have been using AP-Performance in Galway for the past 6 years or so and couldn't recommend him more... the map itself and the attention to detail on every car he has tuned for me has been next to none

Gearing is also a great help on a Honda as I'm sure you know

The likes of AREA Motorsport will give you good advice and support for handling improvements and setup options off the shelf, I know a bit about the EP3 chassis but I'm more familiar with the DC2/EK era of cars

Cheers Stephen. I might as well use it, its only gathering dust. In saying that I believe the JDM cams are not ideal for charging due to the exhaust cam duration. Not that I have been researching said things... :innocent:. I would be intrigued to see how different it feels over the standard EP3 cams...

I agree a map and gearing transform the cars. They move the cars on much more than basic figures would suggest.

I've spoken with Area Motorsport a few times, I've never been impressed. In fairness I think the guys are now too busy.

Probably pillow balls on the front and rear lower arms, replacing the superpro or hardrace bushes. Then progressively work round the car again.

StephenDc2

RMS Regular
Cheers Stephen. I might as well use it, its only gathering dust. In saying that I believe the JDM cams are not ideal for charging due to the exhaust cam duration. Not that I have been researching said things... :innocent:. I would be intrigued to see how different it feels over the standard EP3 cams...

I agree a map and gearing transform the cars. They move the cars on much more than basic figures would suggest.

I've spoken with Area Motorsport a few times, I've never been impressed. In fairness I think the guys are now too busy.

Probably pillow balls on the front and rear lower arms, replacing the superpro or hardrace bushes. Then progressively work round the car again.

The JDM cams only have a very small bit of added lift and duration so you prob won't feel them in the real world as they should be worth 5hp max but..... it all adds up. I'm running standard k20a2 cams in my engine with standard springs, valves etc to keep everything easy on the chain and tensioner for reliability

I haven't used Area myself but Harry has had some good advice from Rob as they know the EP3 chassis very well now, as you say he would be very busy and will be more inclined to give advice when you are buying something

Suspension setup should net you more time than power so it's a good place to keep improving on

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
The JDM cams only have a very small bit of added lift and duration so you prob won't feel them in the real world as they should be worth 5hp max but..... it all adds up. I'm running standard k20a2 cams in my engine with standard springs, valves etc to keep everything easy on the chain and tensioner for reliability

I haven't used Area myself but Harry has had some good advice from Rob as they know the EP3 chassis very well now, as you say he would be very busy and will be more inclined to give advice when you are buying something

Suspension setup should net you more time than power so it's a good place to keep improving on

100% I would err on the side of caution with the chain / tensioner.

I've tried to buy a few things off Rob. He was meant to do adjustable top mounts for me. Without moaning, it took a few months and I had to give up. They would well be worth looking at again, using someone else.

Roll on the Black Friday sales lol!

dddrrift

RMS Regular
took a spin down on Sunday, late afternoon, and seen you blipping around with a white stickered ep3 chasing you lol sounded well! one thing I did notice was you hit the brakes quite early for Colonial compared to the rest. might help you squeeze a few more seconds out of it next time your out! last of the late brakers and all that lol

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
took a spin down on Sunday, late afternoon, and seen you blipping around with a white stickered ep3 chasing you lol sounded well! one thing I did notice was you hit the brakes quite early for Colonial compared to the rest. might help you squeeze a few more seconds out of it next time your out! last of the late brakers and all that lol

Thanks for the comments, most appreciated!

There were a few silver EP3s out so it may have been another. I don't think there was a white EP3 out in my group... Then again I can't remember what I did this morning. :p

My brakes do take some getting used to on track. Pretty powerful brakes and no ABS takes some pedal modulation. Only one lock up on Sunday, getting the nack of your right foot acting like ABS is good fun.

What were you down in yourself?

dddrrift

RMS Regular
ahh ok, think it must have been near the end of the day when I was down, the other EP out was white, all stickered up! Maybe wasn't you out in that session then! Just a thought that maybe a spotter watching you lap from different places might be able to see where your losing time!

I didn't cross into the paddock, I just went straight down to the bottom and was sitting at the inside of debtors! I was in the SL, big silver lady needed fuel so I nipped to Portavogie and down to kirkistown to see what all the noise was about haha

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
ahh ok, think it must have been near the end of the day when I was down, the other EP out was white, all stickered up! Maybe wasn't you out in that session then! Just a thought that maybe a spotter watching you lap from different places might be able to see where your losing time!

I didn't cross into the paddock, I just went straight down to the bottom and was sitting at the inside of debtors! I was in the SL, big silver lady needed fuel so I nipped to Portavogie and down to kirkistown to see what all the noise was about haha

I'd my GoPro rigged up for the last session... I'll have the video up tonight. I was blasting round after a 350z most of the lap. You may well spot yourself in it.

100% a spotter would be of great help to identify where I could save time. Don't worry I'm my own worst critic, so wouldn't take anything to heart :grinning:.

Sorry for the noise ;).

dddrrift

RMS Regular
I cant remember if I seen a 350 or not! could well have!lol must have a watch later lol

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
A cracking photo from the early sessions by Jimmy Graham.

44172515_2474127602599125_773038244345413632_o.jpg

Also a video from session four my last session as I reined things in... but a little more entertaining as there was more traffic. Watch the Ka in the first few laps doing a tripod impression, hilarious!

dddrrift

RMS Regular
aye.... im there at 1min 43 in, silver car on the left hand side! that wee ka was flying on rightly too, wheels made it look like a bit of a rollerskate though lol

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
aye.... im there at 1min 43 in, silver car on the left hand side! that wee ka was flying on rightly too, wheels made it look like a bit of a rollerskate though lol

Thanks for the guest appearance lol :laughing:.

The Ka was hilarious. I was really expecting it to spin, fully committed. Love it.

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
iv been looking at ep3's all bloody night... I blame this thread....

LOL, they are ideal for blasting round the track. Naturally they respond well to some choice tweaks, but you don't need to go mad.

There are some pretty standard cars going round Kirkistown. Good brakes, tyres, alignment and a baffled sump and just lap round all day long.

If it's a good day, I hope to be at the next Trackskills, feel free to come over if you want a nosy.

dddrrift

RMS Regular
i had a few years ago and was thinking just that, perfect for the job! theres a few facelift ones on scumtree at the minute around the £2k mark! what sort of miles are on yours?