Bmw servicing

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

jshek007

RMS Regular
Drives
F30 335,FN2, R56
Anyone have any recommendations on who to use for servicing. Current shape 3 series. Bmw don't come with service book now so everything is kept in their idrive system. So need someone that has access to be able to put the record in the system. Tried Johnny from ai autosport but he doesn't have access to it.

I know non dealer codes get registered as 00000 on the system.

Many thanks

Wild Thing

RMS Regular
if you want it done properly it has to be serviced at bmw or an independent that has a trade account with access to the equipment to link to the bmw database in germany.
Sure you can get the info onto the idrive but if the key is scanned at bmw it will not register the work done. So you have 2 options, pay bmw or a BMW trade account holder indie to do the job via main database or use an indie and get paperwork to backup your servicing schedules

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
I can put it into the iDrive but as @Wild Thing has said once its backat a BMW dealer it will be wiped and will need to be put in again as its not on their database.

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
That’s a pain. In that case I would use Bmw for a oil service only. Shouldn be mega money.
Any other maintenance would be receipts and a service book.

mightymetro

RMS Regular
Drives
F31 320D, 91 MX5
Certainly wouldn't recommend Prentice anyway - went over this morning as Magowans tyres seem to have chewed the locking wheel nut key in the prices last time I got new tyres. Prentice charging £20 for a new key and 2 weeks to order it in... Fair enough. I suggested that either they use their key or let me use it for 5 minutes to take off the 4 locking nuts and then sell me 4 plain studs, but was refused because they might break their key. FFS. What happened to this reputation of BM garages going the extra mile or am I making that up?

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Prentices are more than fair, never have any issues with them on a trade to trade basis, why not just order the key.

The 2 week waiting time when you’re in need of tyres or brakes isn’t exactly ideal. It’s not like he was refusing to pay them either, saying he’d take 4 wheel nuts while he was there.

I wouldn’t bother returning to them after that either to be fair.

@mightymetro try Railway Autospares in Ballynahinch. They may have a matching key and would remove them for you no bother if you called in. Tel: 02897561240

mightymetro

RMS Regular
Drives
F31 320D, 91 MX5
The 2 week waiting time when you’re in need of tyres or brakes isn’t exactly ideal. It’s not like he was refusing to pay them either, saying he’d take 4 wheel nuts while he was there.

I wouldn’t bother returning to them after that either to be fair.

@mightymetro try Railway Autospares in Ballynahinch. They may have a matching key and would remove them for you no bother if you called in. Tel: 02897561240

Exactly, the key was ordered but am just sitting here now with brake pads I can't fit and living in fear of a puncture with the season starting to turn and roads cutting to sh*te. Seemed a petty excuse from them.

Wild Thing

RMS Regular
I may be wrong but i think the master keys are just to order your key, not designed to remove overtightened studs.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Bavarian let me use their key. Well I borrowed it to 'check the fitment' and just took all the nuts off :joy:

In fairness they could lend you the key and you chew it and then they're without one for two weeks or do they book you in so a qualified mechanic can do it and you pay the hourly rate? Or does the unqualified parts guy have a go?

colin84

RMS Regular
Certainly wouldn't recommend Prentice anyway - went over this morning as Magowans tyres seem to have chewed the locking wheel nut key in the prices last time I got new tyres. Prentice charging £20 for a new key and 2 weeks to order it in... Fair enough. I suggested that either they use their key or let me use it for 5 minutes to take off the 4 locking nuts and then sell me 4 plain studs, but was refused because they might break their key. FFS. What happened to this reputation of BM garages going the extra mile or am I making that up?

Your first mistake was going to Magowans, place is a disaster ffs. Over an hour to fix a puncture, and over 2 hours to fit 2 tyres, all while they stand about looking at each other. They took a lifetime for wheel alignment at full price, then told me after I paid that they done the best they could as I need new track rod ends, and the steering wheel was still off!

I use Ivan Kerr in Carrick now, 2 tyres fitted and away in 20 mins.

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Your first mistake was going to Magowans, place is a disaster ffs. Over an hour to fix a puncture, and over 2 hours to fit 2 tyres, all while they stand about looking at each other. They took a lifetime for wheel alignment at full price, then told me after I paid that they done the best they could as I need new track rod ends, and the steering wheel was still off!

I use Ivan Kerr in Carrick now, 2 tyres fitted and away in 20 mins.
I hate sending anyone to Magowans from work, always seems that it takes about a day to get 4 tyres fitted!

NeilNaz

RMS Regular
Drives
Cautiously
There is a recommendation on here that is absolutely substandard at the most basic level. I don't want to engage in a slanging match with the poster, who I am sure had the best intentions. Do some research and this should become apparent.

If it was my car, I would go to Rhys at Car Clinique or ring the Country Garage, Ballymena and haggle a price with them.

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
There is a recommendation on here that is absolutely substandard at the most basic level. I don't want to engage in a slanging match with the poster, who I am sure had the best intentions. Do some research and this should become apparent.

If it was my car, I would go to Rhys at Car Clinique or ring the Country Garage, Ballymena and haggle a price with them.

If it’s my post it wasn’t a recommendation as I’ve never used him, simply information

NeilNaz

RMS Regular
Drives
Cautiously
"If it’s my post it wasn’t a recommendation as I’ve never used him, simply information" mk2driver

I was not your post lad…Colm Higgins has a reputation beyond reproach (y)

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.