Formula E 2019

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
For those interested the new Formula E championship starts today and is live on BT Sport ESPN.

The race is actually about to start now.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Not at all, lol, didn't see the thread until now :cool:

There's been some discussion in the F1 thread, will redirect that here (y)

Deckz

RMS Regular
Drives
Cars
Formula E......

giphy.gif

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
What a race in Marakesh :cool:

Honestly, all the luddites are talking through their rear ends, Formula E has really stepped it up this year. Superb racing!

My heart sank when Vergne made a total hash of the first corner, but another brilliant recovery drive. The two BMW had it all to themselves and then took each other out :joy:

Too much going on in between, just excellent. Formula 1 could learn a thing or two about putting on a show.

I'm still not convinced about fan boost and attack mode. Especially fan boost. But I may be coming round to attack mode, it does add a little something to the mix.

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
OP
Paddy_R
Forgot about this today, thankfully Free Sports on Sky (channel 422) are showing the race at 1200 today. Looking forward to watching it.

Reactions: dub

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
It's on iPlayer, both the full race in repeat and a highlight show. The full race is also repeated on the BBC red button today, not sure about what times though.

impact

RMS Regular
Drives
GT86
Only watched the first race there now. Gen 2 cars have really stepped it up, excellent racing.
Lack of engine sound is only an issue for the first while of watching, other than that cars look pretty neat, big manufacturer support and get fairly ragged around a street circuit in tight racing.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
As class as these be cars look they are flimsy as anything, far more so that the F1 cars

3875D6D7-8FC2-4286-8251-F5A7C3B70B76.jpeg

Was nosying around this on Saturday

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
They do look class this year. The F1 cars are pretty flimsy too, both just a thin skin draped over the chassis, wings designed to flex and bend at speed, etc.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
They do look class this year. The F1 cars are pretty flimsy too, both just a thin skin draped over the chassis, wings designed to flex and bend at speed, etc.
They are but with these having the arch’s etc it doesn’t seem to take much to destroy the aero.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
It wouldn't, no. It's the same in F1, a tiny bit of carbon lost at the edge of the wing or along the floor and the aero goes out the window. But that's aero cars for you.

The FE cars seem less sensitive to that anyway, they race as close as anything throughout the field, barging past each other on tight corners like BTCC cars, it's like dodgem sometimes :cool:

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
It wouldn't, no. It's the same in F1, a tiny bit of carbon lost at the edge of the wing or along the floor and the aero goes out the window. But that's aero cars for you.

The FE cars seem less sensitive to that anyway, they race as close as anything throughout the field, barging past each other on tight corners like BTCC cars, it's like dodgem sometimes :cool:
Aye the aero on the FE car is so simple compared to the F1, was class to seem them on Saturday

2018 Renault, with fins everywhere.

2686F56D-3465-4657-A916-5FD6C4601FD7.jpeg
602F52C1-C8A6-4C9D-B828-D2932FA7E0DA.jpeg
E647F56C-5AE3-4048-A7E0-610FF78F25BA.jpeg

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
The F1 aero is just nuts, completely ruins any "racing". Might as well just do a quali shoot-out and then call it a day.

FE shows how good the racing can be with simpler aero. And LMP shows how good it can be with a different type of aero than F1 but equally as impressive and fast. Actually more impressive since they can still follow other traffic closely without losing performance. F1 is becoming a dinosaur very quickly.

But that's a different topic :joy:

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
A bit quiet to start with, very tight track that. Really kicked off in the last fifteen though, a bit of a pattern there from the other two races this year, last fifteen is where it happens :cool:

Brilliant by both Bird and Wehrlein (y)

Some strange technical penalties again, lol.

I'm really warming to "attack mode", it's working brilliantly, really spices up the racing. Everyone gets exactly the same too so all tactical.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Another action packed race on another tight circuit. Got a bit quiet after the restart but then it all kicked off in the last few laps as usual :innocent:

Vergne just cannot catch a break, that was a huge accident, he was lucky he got away with it as well as he did.

Different racers on the podium in every race so far, brilliant series :cool:

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Next race this weekend in China, race live on Sunday morning on BBC and iPlayer.

Has been brilliant so far this year :cool:

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
That got controversial, lol :joy: All kicking off towards the end again.

I think that was a 50/50 incident, both racing hard which is what we want to see.

Still a Brit at the top of the leader board :cool:

Anyway, I appear to be the only one watching, lol. A shame as the racing is far better than F1, that's for sure.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Yep, that's the only downside, sound like a milk float, lol :joy:

I've got used to it now though, and the racing really is very good.

Avant1

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi
That got controversial, lol :joy: All kicking off towards the end again.

I think that was a 50/50 incident, both racing hard which is what we want to see.

Still a Brit at the top of the leader board :cool:

Anyway, I appear to be the only one watching, lol. A shame as the racing is far better than F1, that's for sure.
Have they decided who won the race yet ?