Metal fallout removal ?

Markhall

RMS Regular
Drives
Ax gt, defender
My wife drove our car with one of the brake pads done and didn’t say anything . I have new pads fitted but the wheel that was metal on metal is now covered in like welded on rust. The side of the car has some on it too.
What’s the best reactive wheel cleaner for braking this sort of stuff down or will TFR be best ?

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
TFR won’t do it for you. Purge will.

Where are you based? I may be able to get you some before Christmas, but I know most of the suppliers are closed.

euge07

RMS Regular
Drives
c220 cdi sport
If it is heavily embedded I can't see purge working. You might have to look to the likes of kkd devils juice, or meguirs wheel brightner, @Big Pimp perhaps your stonebright?
Also the paintwork will most likely need clayed after you use purge

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
If it is heavily embedded I can't see purge working. You might have to look to the likes of kkd devils juice, or meguirs wheel brightner, @Big Pimp perhaps your stonebright?
Also the paintwork will most likely need clayed after you use purge
If it’s fresh then I’d be surprised if it wouldn’t. I’m not just saying it as it’s mine, but I haven’t found a fallout remover to compete with Purge. And I tried and sampled most of the popular ones, so I know what their individual strengths are.
When I asked @big_pete for help in designing the best fallout available we tried several variants before we got to Purge.

UltraBrite is a different ballgame altogether as you say mate. It’s a HF based acid cleaner and will blitz anything in its path (still safely on paintwork etc. though) but on most trials I have tried, Purge will perform on a par but completely safely.

Markhall

RMS Regular
OP
Markhall
Drives
Ax gt, defender
Ah brilliant!

There you go @Markhall - Davey has saved the day!

Thanks but I’m up in Limavady.
Have you anyone stocking your stuff up this part of the world .
I’ve bought Purge off you before and it’s a good job. I ran out and bought a different type of wheel cleaner and in all honesty it’s pure muck.

euge07

RMS Regular
Drives
c220 cdi sport
If it’s fresh then I’d be surprised if it wouldn’t. I’m not just saying it as it’s mine, but I haven’t found a fallout remover to compete with Purge. And I tried and sampled most of the popular ones, so I know what their individual strengths are.
When I asked @big_pete for help in designing the best fallout available we tried several variants before we got to Purge.

UltraBrite is a different ballgame altogether as you say mate. It’s a HF based acid cleaner and will blitz anything in its path (still safely on paintwork etc. though) but on most trials I have tried, Purge will perform on a par but completely safely.

I agree, Purge is a great fallout remover, But for really embedded brake dust where the wheels very rough to the touch and brown thats where I would have suggested something stronger.

@Markhall any pic of the wheel to show how badly effected it is?

Ruairi83

RMS Regular
Drives
MK7.5 GTi PP
Thanks but I’m up in Limavady.
Have you anyone stocking your stuff up this part of the world .
I’ve bought Purge off you before and it’s a good job. I ran out and bought a different type of wheel cleaner and in all honesty it’s pure muck.
If your stuck I have some purge that you can replace when you get an order in. Could give you a 500ml in derry if need be lad.

Also have lazer if you need some.

Markhall

RMS Regular
OP
Markhall
Drives
Ax gt, defender
Thanks everyone. I appreciate all the offers.
I’m sure another couple of days won’t make a difference so I’ll scoot over to paints and components when they open again. @Woodcutter when will you be open again ?

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR

Agree completely.

I've used Stonebright (basically sulphuric acid) and Purge, together at the same time, one on each front wheel. And they were really bad with months of baked in brake dust and grime.

Stonebright obviously cut through anything, but you have to take care with protection etc. Apply with a brush or a sponge. You do NOT want to spray this stuff - you don't want to inhale it, you don't want it in your eyes. You don't want it on skin either. You don't want it in the wrong places.

It's not nice stuff by any description. It's a whole different ball game like Ross says and hardly environmental either.

Purge was just as effective on the other side. If it's really bad just agitate a little with a dish brush or similar to work it in but that's all.

Totally safe too.

Only use something else if purge really doesn't do the job. I haven't reached for Stonebright again since.

Markhall

RMS Regular
OP
Markhall
Drives
Ax gt, defender
I scooted over to Paints and components earlier to grab some Purge. I bought a 5 litre and a 2.5 litre spray bottle.

I gave the wagon a quick rinse then sprayed on my first layer. There was a lot of metal flecks up the side and drivers wheel . I let it sit for ten mins while doing the wheel with a Alloy cleaning brush
F03D5C0B-3538-4C7E-A476-256127FD0E5B.jpeg

7BBBFDA2-8787-41B2-925E-CDE6D1677FE7.jpeg

23D8AB0C-E1E1-4C46-903A-7010CDECC627.jpeg

9FC2F133-4A0A-4FBA-814E-55414E8CA549.jpeg

684D7C0D-C41A-47E3-8695-208ED8DF3CEE.jpeg

I rinsed it then gave it a good sponging . This first wash had removed a lot .
Rinsed it again then hit it with another layer of Purge. It showed that there was significantly less after the first wash .
82C7C65E-EC6E-43FE-B52B-F0C9994DD872.jpeg

13E11899-E2C2-433D-A1E3-5217B3D462C3.jpeg

96FD97B8-75A1-4B48-9467-457BBB36EF49.jpeg

Did the same again letting it sit for ten mins while I did the wheel then sponged and rinsed . It looked really good but I gave it a third hit to be sure . This third go showed that there was very little left .
49EBBA5B-C4C9-4678-9AFC-CB495364DAC9.jpeg

F0851A6A-C750-458F-B4D1-4EC5CF27EFE0.jpeg

Same craic again sponged and rinsed and that seems to be it pretty much all off.
Considering how bad it was this stuff works wonders . I used near enough the 2.5 litre squirty bottle doing both sides but for what it did it’s cheap.
I can highly recommend Purge and above shows the proof . Great product

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
Oh wow - I didnt realise it was that bad!

Absolutely over the moon that it done what it was supposed to do for you!

I know people think ‘yeah right’, but honestly, seeing results like this that I know other cleaners and fallout removers just won’t do in the same way and hearing people other than me talking about how good the products are make me so so happy!

Thanks for taking the time to share your results here.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
I find just articulate and a bucket of Gleam get rid of just about anything from body work without needing anything else. And then purge for the wheels, deals with even the worst buildup of brake dust.

Brilliant stuff (y)