High mileage cars, at what point does it scare you

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
Drives
Stuff
Never bought a car based on its mileage. I rarely listen to what the seller is telling me either as anyone selling a car, especially a used car dealer, is likely to pish on your back and tell you that you’re sweating just to get a sale.

I buy based on what’s in front of me and if it’s what I want and priced accordingly.

I can't agree more with this. My Bora has 155k on it and runs like a dream. I give it death at every opportunity and it takes it. If I'd the money sticks ARP rod bolts and a supercharger on it in the morning.

The VR6 engine i put into my MK3 came out of a fire damaged car so I've genuinely no idea if it had 50k or 250k on it. It never gives problems. I've driven it across England 3 times, all over ireland and it doesn't get an easy life and it just keeps going.

You need to remember the mileage on the clock is only the minimum the car had done. There are that many people fiddling with cars i don't believe what it says unless its backed up with solid evidence and again it doesn't annoy me for a good car

Lee

RMS Regular
I've a MK4 Golf GTTDI I bought with 102k genuine miles and a detailed full service history. Its taken me over two years to get it to 118k.

A few thousand miles ago I fitted a new clutch and flywheel, and done the belts etc with genuine parts. I got carried away and fitted a mass of other parts that most people wouldn't have bothered with, for example I felt the suspension was a bit tired so fitted new shocks springs and topmounts all round. Basically I would expect it has a lot of relatively trouble free miles ahead.

The thing that pains me is as much as I would love to take it to 200k, at this rate of going it would take me over 10 years! And lifes too short to keep it that long. Or it will have rusted away lol

trev 1515

RMS Regular
Drives
E39 M5 Evo ix
Had an e36 m3 with 136k on it with a full history it was fantastic. My e34 m5 had 144k on it and it drove absolutely perfect, not a rattle or squeak, even from any of the interior trim. Though that’s older stuff, I’d be wary enough on newer models as I just don’t think they are built aswell. But again most of it comes down to how well it’s been serviced, and not even regular services just using proper spec oil and quality parts.

We put 200k on our caddy vans and then sell them on, they are still going as far as I know.

Dub_cub 89

RMS Regular
Drives
Evo 6 / cbr400rr
There are times when I’d much rather see bigger miles on cars, for example:

2010 BMW 530D M SPORT **SUN ROOF**PRO SAT NAV**BIG SPEC**HARMON KARDON** PX | eBay

vs...

2010 BMW 5 SERIES 530D SE SALOON DIESEL | eBay

You have to ask, is the sort of person who buys a diesel to do 5k miles a year really someone you want to buy a car off? If they’re so focused on economy how has the car been cared for during their ownership? a lot of people are ignorant of the fact that perishable items wear and will need replaced every so often regardless of miles covered, add to that the joys of a modern diesel dpf system clogging up and it’s a no brainier really. I know which of the above I’d sooner buy

KevM

RMS Regular
I bought an A3 years ago to sell, it had 118k on it & it was as mint & tight as a 25k mile car. Sold it to a mate who drove it to 220k. My E55 had 151k and my GTi Golf had done 172k. All were in first class order. I’ve driven many modern cars that felt 10 times as tired at 70k

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Lol you'd swear all these high milers were getting better with age :joy:

They were once low milers and likely great transport for someone who stuck 100k on them in the first place. All these rough doses with 40k miles are them are just that and they'll just be rougher doses with 140k on them in a few years time. I've one on the drive right now with 125k and it's no picture.

That high mileage BMW above has all sorts of advisories on the MOT indicating a hard life. Worn pads, worn tyres, etc. Basic stuff. Recently an advisory for misshapen rear tyres which is likely cheap crap tyres on the back or the bushes/alignment on the rear is in bits, presumably because it's got moon miles on it.

We can wax lyrical about how a FSH prevents all sorts, and while it might help make sure the engine doesn't lunch it's big ends, there a million other non serviceable parts on a car that wear with age/mileage. I know all about it replacing all kinds of weird and wonderful stuff I'd never replaced before on a 240k miled E-Class Merc :joy:

Lee

RMS Regular
There are times when I’d much rather see bigger miles on cars, for example:

2010 BMW 530D M SPORT **SUN ROOF**PRO SAT NAV**BIG SPEC**HARMON KARDON** PX | eBay

vs...

2010 BMW 5 SERIES 530D SE SALOON DIESEL | eBay

You have to ask, is the sort of person who buys a diesel to do 5k miles a year really someone you want to buy a car off? If they’re so focused on economy how has the car been cared for during their ownership? a lot of people are ignorant of the fact that perishable items wear and will need replaced every so often regardless of miles covered, add to that the joys of a modern diesel dpf system clogging up and it’s a no brainier really. I know which of the above I’d sooner buy

Not sure I'd agree with that logic. Economy might not even come into it, maybe the old fart buying a brand new 530d se just liked how it drove compared to a petrol version. Not everybody thinks like us in the way that a petrol car is more favoured for low mileage because its more fun.

NotKG

Banned
the very worst thing about high miles is insurance value.
you could spend a fortune on new parts to "refresh" your cars driving feel, and insurance will just say its called servicing.
those soft shocks with 100k on them were worth no more than the hundreds you spent replacing them.
those 3 chips on your bonnet didnt require a £1000 paint job.

bunch of cnuts

surprising_skoda

RMS Regular
Drives
Skoda/BMW/Austin
Mileage only means something to me if I'm for selling the car on again - and even then, if it's a rare model, a high miler is OK.

I bought both my Alfa and my MG with around 82k, taken them both to 100. I like having a car that's under 100, that feels like a low miler to me. Would I have bought the same two cars if they'd had 150k? Absolutely. In fact I bought another MG with 150-odd on it last year and another Alfa that I have no idea what miles are on, never even bothered to check, as it's so irrelevant to me.
I do enjoy a really old car with low miles. I mean, I'm ecstatic that my 1987 Skoda Rapid has just over 5k on it. It needs a complete restoration (still) because it sat for 10 years on a farmyard, but it meant it's a one owner original NI car. I'd still have bought it with 50k, 100k or 200k. But it's a nice "feature", if you will.

Given the choice, I'd prefer a lower miles, not because I'm scared of this mysterious 100k or 120k "breaking point", but because often lower miles means fewer owners, and I like cars with fewer owners, not ones that have been passed from pillar to post. Then again, it also depends, I'm about the 15th owner of my E28, but that was quite frankly rescued from the ravages of many "enthusiast" owners Caring (read abusing) it for 18 months apiece.

So, umm, yes, no, and maybe.

Darren91

RMS Regular
Got the A3 with 27k, currently on 226k and about to get its 4th replacement timing belt tomorrow along with its 23rd oil change.

Serviced every 10k with premium oil and filters, no short journeys and 100% motorway journeys has made it last.

High mileage isn't a worry for me.

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
the very worst thing about high miles is insurance value.
you could spend a fortune on new parts to "refresh" your cars driving feel, and insurance will just say its called servicing.
those soft shocks with 100k on them were worth no more than the hundreds you spent replacing them.
those 3 chips on your bonnet didnt require a £1000 paint job.

bunch of cnuts

Yeah know exactly what you mean, I changed the shocks at 120k and thought that tho put 80k on new ones so worth it. But could easily not be if something happened

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
Got the A3 with 27k, currently on 226k and about to get its 4th replacement timing belt tomorrow along with its 23rd oil change.

Serviced every 10k with premium oil and filters, no short journeys and 100% motorway journeys has made it last.

High mileage isn't a worry for me.

That’s why I love engine in mondeo, timing chain all the way.

Dub_cub 89

RMS Regular
Drives
Evo 6 / cbr400rr
Not sure I'd agree with that logic. Economy might not even come into it, maybe the old fart buying a brand new 530d se just liked how it drove compared to a petrol version. Not everybody thinks like us in the way that a petrol car is more favoured for low mileage because its more fun.

This is my point, said old fart won’t have driven the car as it was designed to be driven, either it’s sat about for most of its life which isn’t good, or it’s been used frequently for very short journeys, which isn’t ideal either. It’s more about how the car is used vs how it was designed to be used.

@Coog i looked at its history and I can’t see anything too shocking tbh, all fairly typical and most of its issues would be easy/cheap fixes.

I put those two examples up as I’d hand on heart take the high miler first,

£4K+ saving up front
Known issues are quite easy fixed and the sort of stuff you’d be doing sooner or later anyway (decent tyres, alignment setup ect)

My main issue with the low mileage one is the dpf, not cheap! Also what’s the odds that at 46k it’s only been serviced twice in the last 9 years? That would worry me a lot more than a few MOT advisories.

Lee

RMS Regular
This is my point, said old fart won’t have driven the car as it was designed to be driven, either it’s sat about for most of its life which isn’t good, or it’s been used frequently for very short journeys, which isn’t ideal either. It’s more about how the car is used vs how it was designed to be used.

I see what you're saying. I just think its a bit mad to assume someone scrimped on looking after their 530d because they bought it and covered around half average mileage. How it was driven is only an assumption. To me, the silver one is just as good as the white one might have been when it had 46k. Personal opinion I suppose.

I probably shouldn't assume it would be an old fart driving it but it is an SE after all :eyes:

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Likely company car vs private.

Any car coming back with advisories on low pads and bald tyres doesn't really inspire confidence in the way the car was looked after. All easy stuff anyone with half a brain could check. Probably just driven and driven and barely looked at. Ok so the DPF might not clog straight away, but literally everything else on the car has done 4 times the work.

r16vka

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi 80 V6
What the sub 100k brigade fail to consider is a car that's driven 1000 miles a month is hitting the UK average of 12k. Do that for 8 and a bit years and your at 100k!

And I'd say after a certain age is there much point in spending the money a dealership wants for a stamp in a book and a fluid change?

My 17 year old golf has a mountain of receipts and isnt looking too bad for 181k :p
FB_IMG_1547156971376.jpg

Dub_cub 89

RMS Regular
Drives
Evo 6 / cbr400rr
What they’re also failing to consider is depreciation, it’s all about balancing upfront cost vs maintenance vs expected lifespan. It really boils down to how you look after your car, are you hands on yourself, are you friendly with someone who is? Or do you pay extortionate dealer rates for all the simple stuff like services ect. I’d be more hands on than many owners so I’m happy to take on a bit more “risk”.

Last edited:

chrisdromore

RMS Regular
Drives
a8
Can’t remember the last car I bought that had less than 100k on it. A8 has 120 atm and driving like new. Plan will be to hit 200 and see how it’s fairing.

The only mistake iv made when changing is selling the old one !

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Our Q5 has just turned 70k and you wouldn't think it by looking at it both exterior and interior - fair enough I have spent a bit of money on it to get it looking the way it does but its mechanically sound and straight. We will have it another while I guess but when you look online at the same cars, there are a lot of high mile Q5's on the market which seem to be selling.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
In saying that though, for me, I always tend to buy lowish miles

8P S3 was 16k
Scirocco R was mid teens I think??? I actually cannot remember
8V S3 was 12k

Cayman S was 48k (2005) I think and the S4 was 54k maybe? the exceptions

Father Stack

RMS Regular
Drives
VRS
195k on my 535d. Bought it with 160k just shy of 3 years ago. I'm actually trying to find a reason to replace it. But I'm struggling View attachment 221350

The grill. There's a reason to replace it :p Only messing the car looks great.

Miles isn't an issue at all for me. When going to look at a car you can generally get an idea of how its been kept after speaking with the owner. I'd rather a car with 150k that's had a good owner rather than a 50k miler with a gobsh*te for an owner.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.