new whip arrived

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

fabiostar

RMS Regular
Drives
well when i say new and whip its different lol... i do a fair bit of turning work with my lathe i have atm ,like pretty much every firestorm in britain that has a lightweight flywheel fitted has been made by me..

but bigger is always better. so gents meet my new whip. she aint pretty but its running true as the day it was build . weighs in around the 2 ton and iv still to get it into the cave.

ggyzVqy.jpg

sj6zqga.jpg

a6Pnkbv.jpg

V68uY44.jpg

fabiostar

RMS Regular
OP
fabiostar
Drives
its done a few years thats for sure lol.. im amazed how these old units run as well and stay true for all these years. id take one of these old units over newer far east yokes that bend like knicker elastic after ten years

n3il

RMS Regular
Drives
CRXvtec/vtis
Found the front door for the legs and what I think is a mounting plate for the 4 jaw chuck, I've left them beside the garage door if you are ever passing.

fabiostar

RMS Regular
OP
fabiostar
Drives
ah happy days il drop up past monday evening and get them.... iv only now got the dam thing into the mancave lol... had to cut the door open and use a winch lol..

fabiostar

RMS Regular
OP
fabiostar
Drives
cant wait to get ripped into it lol.... got it grounded tonight so can finish the cave now and start it up this weekend to see how it cuts. iv a few flywheels sitting waiting here to be done atm.

fabiostar

RMS Regular
OP
fabiostar
Drives
somebody slap me HARD if i ever say i want a bigger lathe again.

cave extended by 10 feet sorted..
first problem getting a chuck with internal jaws. in the end had to pull the trigger on a new chuck ,which then meant i had to machine myself a new backplate for a 165mm metric chuck outa the old one made for a 7.5 inch imperial size chuck.. they are made from cast iron which is horrific stuff to work, messy isnt the word but.

oh yeah the gearing for the spindle speeds !!!! jesus somebody kill me please but thats all sorted aswell.

chuck all sorted.
speeds all sorted
cave all sorted
my fingers in tatters all sorted.
but its finished.

old one
tiBGvUk.jpg

machined to fit new chuck

Z2NJpQ2.jpg

mounted
fOJpsYR.jpg

and all tucked up in the cave

GQWLETe.jpg

GOYMKqt.jpg

fabiostar

RMS Regular
OP
fabiostar
Drives
and what i actually bought this for happened this eveing. after mucho setting up and getting the lathe proper, these things take a bit of loving lol.. i was able to get my first flywheel in, clocked and machined. big girl does what it says on the tin .

heres an old one beside the machined one for an idea of sizes.

jLOQGWu.jpg

QGJ8nbv.jpg

gEgn0JB.jpg

fabiostar

RMS Regular
OP
fabiostar
Drives
they are like bikes, you start with one then look round and realise you have as many lathes as bikes lol

turbopresh

RMS Regular
Drives
yamaha r1
I was feeling inspired and picked this up last night :grinning: .. needs some minor recommissioning and a cross slide/tool post.. but aside from that she’s in really good shape.

Attachments

• 1288FEC1-5B42-4DA8-B2D2-A0231A2B8F28.jpeg
    1288FEC1-5B42-4DA8-B2D2-A0231A2B8F28.jpeg
    153.3 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:

turbopresh

RMS Regular
Drives
yamaha r1
Apis you nerd.. you are correct though.

Not had much time at her, spent a couple of hours tidying up the bed, lead screw and top slide (before and after attached). All lubricated, adjusted and running smoothly now - still a few hours to spend the rest of it yet mind. Waiting for the guys in the toolroom hopefully sorting out the missing top/toolpost situation with my compound slide so I can take it for a test drive :grinning:

Attachments

• 2464D1B9-B595-454A-A009-918BDE688930.png
    2464D1B9-B595-454A-A009-918BDE688930.png
    853.4 KB · Views: 88
  • EC8C9FD0-59BC-4065-990E-F10DB2D9243E.jpeg
    EC8C9FD0-59BC-4065-990E-F10DB2D9243E.jpeg
    146.2 KB · Views: 91

fabiostar

RMS Regular
OP
fabiostar
Drives
is the mirror so you can admire yourself while lathing? :grinning:

lol no its not for checking my makeup lol. it bounces more light about the place but, it also makes it a lot easier to just glance over at when im say boring down into a blind hole for instance.

fabiostar

RMS Regular
OP
fabiostar
Drives
Apis you nerd.. you are correct though.

Not had much time at her, spent a couple of hours tidying up the bed, lead screw and top slide (before and after attached). All lubricated, adjusted and running smoothly now - still a few hours to spend the rest of it yet mind. Waiting for the guys in the toolroom hopefully sorting out the missing top/toolpost situation with my compound slide so I can take it for a test drive :grinning:

very nice jonny, nice find. you will end up getting addicted lol

turbopresh

RMS Regular
Drives
yamaha r1
cheers fabs, don't suppose you've acquired any spare compunds/tool posts with your latest purchase lol :laughing: where's the best place to get one, it's look like the tool room are out of action at the moment as they have 2 machines broken down and production to keep on top of :worried:

DriftnSlide

Banned
Drives
S60 D5 SE
lol no its not for checking my makeup lol. it bounces more light about the place but, it also makes it a lot easier to just glance over at when im say boring down into a blind hole for instance.

Tell the truth.
It's for dancing in front of, with her underwear on and a pair of race boots, while you selfie yourself for Grindr. ;) lol

fabiostar

RMS Regular
OP
fabiostar
Drives
cheers fabs, don't suppose you've acquired any spare compunds/tool posts with your latest purchase lol :laughing: where's the best place to get one, it's look like the tool room are out of action at the moment as they have 2 machines broken down and production to keep on top of :worried:

spare tool posts i dont have, im actually looking a quick change post for mine. your best bet is the facebook groups for lathes. some really good ones with guys who know what they are at and parts hoarders. try the uk myford group or the drummond group.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
god thats a clean lathe. they get great reports those 7s
Spindle bore is a bit small but there are endless amounts of accessories for them, new or second hand. And this one has the gearbox added too.
I have a vertical slide which attaches to the T-slots on the crossslide which means you can use it for small milling jobs. It's a 1968, so even older than me.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.