car damaged in car park

dddrrift

RMS Regular
So my younger sister rang me to say she got back to her car on Monday and an older gentleman knocked her window to tell her he seen a marroon coloured 4x4 style car reverse into her car and drive off. He provided the registration also.

I use the same carpark and this morning the car in question was there, parked nearby. I left a note tucked into its wiper explaining that they were witnessed reversing into my sisters car and asked them to give me a call to resolve the matter before i had to go to the police.

What if they dont call? Just report it and see what happens? Am i being too lenient? I know she should have reported it on Monday but she works offshore the rest of the week and didnt get a chance.

took photos of both their car and the damage to the rear of it today also. I have the witness details also. What would you do?

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
We called the police and in fairness to them they chased the guy and he paid up

NeilMcG

RMS Trader
Drives
VW GTe
Is there much damage to your sister's car? She has the option to pursue a civil claim against the driver for the cost of the repairs required to her vehicle. Probably best at this stage to check whether the car park has CCTV cameras and to ask the management company to retain the footage from the day in question. The Police could charge the driver with leaving the scene of an accident. If you need any advice just give me a shout.

dddrrift

RMS Regular
OP
dddrrift
its had a rub down to the metal on the drivers rear quarter and the bumper. not stuffed in or anything, but would need painted.

i dont think there is cctv covering the car park. if i dont get a call tonight then il just report it to the police and let them chase it up to get the details etc

Last edited:

cormac81

RMS Regular
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb
In a similar situation at the moment I believe I have found the car that done it but I went straight to the police I didn't want to get involved in a slagging match. Hopefully they can back up my thoughts on who the culprit was from the cctv in the car park.

_Stu_

RMS Regular
they rang this evening, all sorted, need to get a few quotes and go from there.

Happy ending at least. Did they give any explanation about why they didn’t stop in the first place?

A similar thing happened my mum a load of years back and it got very nasty. Gave the lady a chance to pay up but whilst she eventually admitted to hitting the car she wasn’t prepared to pay the quotes we got for her. Ended up having to go through police and insurance which ended up costing her a lot more than if she had just accepted it and paid up.

simon4563

RMS Regular
Drives
F30
i was sitting in a car park in holywood at the start of the week and noticed a woman opening her door into the side of another car. I left a note on the cars window stating what i had seen and the details of the car in question as it had minor damage to the door. Hope they got sorted as both cars were gone by the time i got back to the car.

richie_mck

RMS Regular
It seems they are taught from a young age. I was watching postman pat yesterday with my cub and Alf Thompson managed to mash his trailer against both Pats van and Ted Glen's truck trying to squeeze through, then he just sailed on. I couldn't believe it. Pat had parked it like @G N K on the school run though.

mayweather

RMS Regular
Drives
M3 Evolution
A fella drove into my other half recently and he was 100% in the wrong, definitely careless, bordering on dangerous driving. I managed to get CCTV from a business nearby, couldn't believe it covered so much of the road

They switched numbers and after hanging up on me at least 5 times, refused to pay, said it was 50:50...….I told him he was in the wrong, and I've seen it with my own eyes on CCTV. Anyway he reckoned I was lying that I had CCTV.....and put a claim in against us.

Second I got that call from the insurance company...….I took her to the cops, got her to make a statement and gave the CCTV to the PSNI, this inbred **** is going to learn the hard way.

NeilMcG

RMS Trader
Drives
VW GTe
Refused to pay for the damage to your other half’s car? Brilliant that you managed to get the CCTV, far too many cases are sorted on a 50/50 basis due to lack of independent evidence. Did you get your insurer to repair the car in the end? You can get a quote for repairs and issue proceedings against him to keep it away from your insurance.

mayweather

RMS Regular
Drives
M3 Evolution
Refused to pay for the damage to your other half’s car? Brilliant that you managed to get the CCTV, far too many cases are sorted on a 50/50 basis due to lack of independent evidence. Did you get your insurer to repair the car in the end? You can get a quote for repairs and issue proceedings against him to keep it away from your insurance.

Essentially he was overtaking queued traffic rather than wait in the traffic to turn right. Now the reason you have to wait in traffic is due to the chevron lines obviously stopping you from overtaking and fact it would be extremely dangerous......he piled on ahead and drove straight into her as she turned right.

Its very sad that a wealthy middle aged man would do that and decided upon himself that he wouldn't pay for a young woman's car, if it was me I would bend over backwards to help her.

Insurance company is working on it.

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Essentially he was overtaking queued traffic rather than wait in the traffic to turn right. Now the reason you have to wait in traffic is due to the chevron lines obviously stopping you from overtaking and fact it would be extremely dangerous......he piled on ahead and drove straight into her as she turned right.

Its very sad that a wealthy middle aged man would do that and decided upon himself that he wouldn't pay for a young woman's car, if it was me I would bend over backwards to help her.

Insurance company is working on it.

Time to get the sore neck. Ya gave him chance to act the white man and he blew it.

Mel_45

RMS Regular
Drives
megane
We were reversing Into a parking space I. Asda car park this evening when a woman got into her car next to us and and reversed out of her space into the corner of the rear bumper. She then drove forward and denied knowledge of bumping us. Only damage to ours is a broken clip on the bumper so we're not worried. Took details anyway. Question is what's the likelihood of it being deemed a 50/50 as it's two reversing? Does it matter they were reversing out of a SPACE? likelihood of it affecting premiums or having to declare it for years on end.

NeilMcG

RMS Trader
Drives
VW GTe
If this becomes an insurance issue, ie both you and the other driver notify your insurance companies then it could easily resolve on the basis of a liability split. This would mean that your insurance company will only recover 1/2 the cost of repairing the broken clip on your bumper and your insurance would go up. If you had CCTV showing that you had started your manoeuvre before the other driver then you would be in a much better position as essentially the other driver should have checked in her mirrors and noticed you reversing before starting her manoeuvre.

Mel_45

RMS Regular
Drives
megane
Not even going to repair as it's not worth it. We can live with a broken clip for all it is. Our only concern is if the other person tries to put in a fraudulent claim.