BMW have had car 5 weeks for EGR recall with no progress

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Ultimately this won’t be BMW’s problem surely? The defective product will have been supplied by a 3rd party so whilst for example I bought a car from BMW with a defective part and BMW themselves ha e incurred the cost to replace said part will they then be able to pursue the 3rd party for compensation I wonder ?

Korens in Korea manufacture it. Well they do now, at least, I can't imagine they'll be making them for BMW much longer :p

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
Korens in Korea manufacture it. Well they do now, at least, I can't imagine they'll be making them for BMW much longer :p
I imagine there are watertight contracts between manufacturers and 2nd tier suppliers.

suckindiesel

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Allroad
Nope, they are satisfying all legal requirements. If your car went on fire before it was repaired you would have a strong case for compensation, but during and post EGR replacement? They are carrying out the recall and repair FOC, and supplying you with a replacement vehicle to use. What would any compensation claim be based on?

Appreciate that. Only real gripe is the replacement vehicle in my parents case certainly isn't like for like - they have need for an estate car with a tow bar, and are used to driving automatics, at near 70 hate driving a manual or switching between the two. Putting them into a manual small hatchback with no tow bar for near 2 months now is becoming an inconvenience, I think initially they thought it would be days and didn't care too much, after a while phoned to complain and were told basically your lucky with the car you got. First world problems eh! :joy:

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Appreciate that. Only real gripe is the replacement vehicle in my parents case certainly isn't like for like - they have need for an estate car with a tow bar, and are used to driving automatics, at near 70 hate driving a manual or switching between the two. Putting them into a manual small hatchback with no tow bar for near 2 months now is becoming an inconvenience, I think initially they thought it would be days and didn't care too much, after a while phoned to complain and were told basically your lucky with the car you got. First world problems eh! :joy:

Oh I totally agree, our hire care was rubbish and it's an annoyance but unfortunately the necessity is a vehicle replacement, and choosing the make/model is a luxury - or at least that's how the legal system would see it.

It appears if you have a BMW within the 3yr warranty period they have provided a similar class of vehicle, but for everyone else it's whatever is available.

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
Oh I totally agree, our hire care was rubbish and it's an annoyance but unfortunately the necessity is a vehicle replacement, and choosing the make/model is a luxury - or at least that's how the legal system would see it.

It appears if you have a BMW within the 3yr warranty period they have provided a similar class of vehicle, but for everyone else it's whatever is available.
Exactly this. If you are out of warranty your lucky to even get a loan car.

migs

RMS Regular
Soooooooo... Our recall letter arrived last week, I rang JKC to book it in, 4th April was the earliest date they could take it. The girl on the phone was very helpful and explained everything thoroughly. Asked a few questions about the car and was I happy with everything etc to which I replied "no not really" My wife is driving about in a car which could potentially go on fire with 2 kids under 2 in it...

Sooooooo... She recommended I ring BMW Emergency Assistance who are now collecting the car this evening from our house and taking it to JKC. I was informed I would get a "like for like" car to my "3 Series GT" which I was content with. 20 minutes later Enterprise where on the phone to arrange a courtesy car. Turns out the girl (who's the assistant manager) knows my sister so I thought I was onto a winner here. But she was adamant my car only entitles me to a Focus, Astra, Leon sized car! Her recommendation was to ring BMW Customer Services and give off in a nice way, which I did. I got the same thing from them, but I wasn't settling for what they where offering. In a nice way of course and after some persistent persuasion they are delivering something along the lines of an Insignia estate, Kia Optima estate, Hyundai i40 Tourer or Renault Kadjar to the house on Monday afternoon!

Long story short is don't take no for an answer lol Not ideal, and goodness knows how long our car will be off the road but at least we can travel in a bit more space and comfort now for the foreseeable future!

cluggo

RMS Regular
Drives
F80 M3
once outside manufacture warranty they drop the urgency and loan cars. Seems they are concentrating on the cars within warranty first. You done well in that case I guess

Well my 535d is 2012 and they were happy enough to find me the biggest auto car they had...

I ended up with a Mazda CX-5. (Which ended up broke with in 20 miles )

They then give me a i20 which they were told they had 2 days to sort out s bigger auto car again. To their word I got a S-Max with in 2 days.

I’m now a moth with out my car. And looking like another month or 2 wait on parts lol.

And to make things worse my car is now going to be out of MOT lol. More problems for BMW.

A6Avant

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Avant
During my Infiniti fiasco last year, i was without my car for over 5 months. During that time i switched loan cars 6 times i think from memory. Each time i had to pay the deposit to Europcar. Between Dec/ Jan i had swapped 5 times and was out of pocket about £450. It took them 90 days each time to return my deposit. Yes it was frustrating being without my car for a long period of time but getting shafted every time they wanted to swap my hire car was the bit that pissed me off the most, especially over the Christmas/ New Year period

Michael M

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golfs
During my Infiniti fiasco last year, i was without my car for over 5 months. During that time i switched loan cars 6 times i think from memory. Each time i had to pay the deposit to Europcar. Between Dec/ Jan i had swapped 5 times and was out of pocket about £450. It took them 90 days each time to return my deposit. Yes it was frustrating being without my car for a long period of time but getting shafted every time they wanted to swap my hire car was the bit that pissed me off the most, especially over the Christmas/ New Year period

Have you heard Infinity are pulling out of the UK market? No surprise there, after hearing about your car troubles

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
Have you heard Infinity are pulling out of the UK market? No surprise there, after hearing about your car troubles

I believe it my be withdrawing from Europe not just the UK. Was reading the other day that the sales figures were dire. They sold around 6,250 cars total in Europe last year, Mercedes sold nearly 900,000. In Italy in some months they were being out sold by Ferrari! And comfortably outsold at that.

migs

RMS Regular
Our loaner arrived this morning... Happy for the wife and kids to tour about in this considering the circumstances!

Wonderful what you can when you put your foot down and don't take no for an answer!

E972F6F4-3AF9-41EB-BED7-E78CA99FE54A.jpeg

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
Our loaner arrived this morning... Happy for the wife and kids to tour about in this considering the circumstances!

Wonderful what you can when you put your foot down and don't take no for an answer!

View attachment 228770
I can see the T-shirt already. I went to BMW for an EGR valve and all I got was this lousy Kia.

There must be more BMWs off the road than on the road in NI at this stage!

cluggo

RMS Regular
Drives
F80 M3
Got call on Monday to say my car was fixed ....... but they cant give me it back as it has ran out of MOT and they will need to get it road legal before they can give me it back lol my rental car is now sitting at £2k of a bill and counting as they cant get a date quickly for mine

oh the joys

slapshot_99

RMS Regular
Drives
RS Focus
I can see the T-shirt already. I went to BMW for an EGR valve and all I got was this lousy Kia.

There must be more BMWs off the road than on the road in NI at this stage!
My wife's Kia Soul is a great wee motor.....might even be a step up on a BMW :p

suckindiesel

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Allroad
Dad got his back last week, on the plus side he has gone off the idea of changing it as was so glad to get it back!

lennyd

RMS Regular
Drives
a car
Be interesting to see the sales figures over the next 3 years because of this