Squealing Brakes

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Since having my Clupsport GTI discs and Ferrodo DS2500 pads installed, my brakes squeak like F and it is seriously now doing my head in, in particular at low speed.

No matter what I try, the squeaks come back to the point now where I am considering changing them again.

Any ideas on how to reduce the noise? Disc skimming?

I know the Ferrodo pads are track based which I now regret buying - should I change the pads?

Boydie

RMS Regular
OP
Boydie
Drives
S3 Revo
0CBE8979-F734-44C1-8D3F-A76E43DE0070.jpeg

Boydie

RMS Regular
OP
Boydie
Drives
S3 Revo
Maybe just a bad combo but I am at my wits end, need to get it resolved.

Marc

RMS Moderator
I think it might be the pad compound, I have a track focused pad on my track car and it squeaks until they have some heat into them.

mcmurray

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
DS2500 used to squeal for me unless using them hard. Tried all the internet bedding in techniques, but made no difference.

Wouldn't use them again in a road car that I drive all the time.

I think I went to EBC Bluestuff pads (also track focused) after the 2500 and didn't have the same problems.

Edit to say, that's a few years ago now. There may be alternatives that are better for the money.

Last edited:

Boydie

RMS Regular
OP
Boydie
Drives
S3 Revo
Red Stuff:

• EBC Redstuff Brake Pads are designed to directly replace your stock pads
  • These ceramic pads are specifically formulated for serious road driving
  • Redstuff Brake Pads can cut stopping distances by up to 42 feet over stock parts
  • Minimal dust leaves your wheels clean, producing 50% less dust than most stock pads
  • Quiet braking ceramic blend of your EBC Red Stuff Brake Pads fights off squeal

Boydie

RMS Regular
OP
Boydie
Drives
S3 Revo
Blue Stuff:

• Perfect for track use
  • Brake well from cold
  • Effective to very high temperatures

300trophy

RMS Regular
Drives
Megane 275 Cup-S
I’ve had DS2500 and CL RC5+ fitted to cars in the past, both squealed quite badly until they had heat in them.

I replaced both with Ferodo Premier pads after track days, no squealing with the Ferodo alternative. Motor factors should be able to supply them quite cheaply.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Mintex M1144 are good pads. No squealing and I've yet to overheat them even on track.

Vw Nut001

RMS Regular
Drives
biTDI C7 A6
I had a set of Ferrodos in my Mk7 GTD and they were great no squeaking they weren't DS2500 I will have a look to see if i have apart number i got them from R T autoparts in cookstown for £58 for a front set.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Mintex M1144 are good pads. No squealing and I've yet to overheat them even on track.

A lot to be said for some of the older stuff. And unless doing very hard track use....nothing really fancy is needed. Even genuine OEM pads will be tested fairly hard and should cover most uses.

But I stopped using 2500's years ago. They just fail to impress anywhere, hot and perhaps more so cold bite is very poor.

zafturbo

RMS Regular
I don’t have pad squeal but I have the most horrendous wind noise from my discs that like yourself is driving me crazy .someone told me it’s the air passing between the pad and disc hitting the grooves but I have no idea if that’s so .

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR
I've DS2500 all round on the 350Z and there is no noise off them that I've noticed. I assume you did a decent brake in procedure?

ChrisL

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3 (8V)
I had DS2500 on the Zed and Evo and both sqeaked, not like mad but a good bit, especially at low speeds.

Im not even sure if DS2500's are track orientated pads, I thought more just fast road. Id contact @Woodcutter and get some of the Ferodo Premier pads, used them in my Lexus and they were great.

adzy

RMS Regular
Drives
Glanza V
Feel your pain, have ds3000 in the glanza and they screech all the time during normal driving. I have a set of ebc redstuff that I swap in for road use when I can be bothered

Neil_M

RMS Regular
@Boydie sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs here...

A few queries really... are you using any anti squeel compound on the back of the pads (i.e. not copper grease)? Also are there any rattle clips / shims missing from the pads? Did you follow the bed in procedure too?

I ran DS2500s all round on the Civic and never had a squeek.

Though there are better road compounds out there anyway, so I wouldn't worry too much if you did decide to change.

scub

Banned
I had squeaky annoying ds2500's on the mak & changed them to carbotech xp8's.
no more squealing after a proper bedding in, & 10 times the stopping power.
they made the ferrodos feel like 2 lumps of plywood.
weren't cheap from memory but you def get what you pay for!

ChrisL

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3 (8V)
I had squeaky annoying ds2500's on the mak & changed them to carbotech xp8's.
no more squealing after a proper bedding in, & 10 times the stopping power.
they made the ferrodos feel like 2 lumps of plywood.
weren't cheap from memory but you def get what you pay for!

Loved my Evo when I changed the pads out to xp8s ... Seriously impressive pads. Mine cost £200 I think.