Classic Bodywork Recommendations

Chris tii

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 2002tii
In all seriousness. Does anyone know wtf I should do? Make them an offer? Get a solicitor? Or just start saving up to get my car back one day?

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
I’m pretty sure your not the first to have been in this situation. I’ve no idea if you could get any help from trading standards ? That chap I linked is a solicitor that has helped a few off Rms resolve matters.
The above is nothing more than a scam.

Cookies

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
That is genuinely scary. Now, presenting someone with a bill for 4 times the agreed amount will have been done for a very good reason, in my opinion. They will have known full well what the original amount was, and they will have known full well when the agreed amounts would have been exceeded. So, they wont release your car until you've paid I assume. I take it it's a nice car? Time to get some legal advice, quickly.

Good luck. I genuinely hope you get sorted. I hate people getting fleeced like this.

Cooks

Andy55

RMS Regular
OP
Andy55
TJ Bodyworks just outside Ballynahinch is hard to beat. Look him up on Facebook. He has done quite a bit for guys on here over the years too.

Thanks I’ll check them out.

Any other suggestions folks?

Gemma

RMS Regular
i had went to them and they quoted me 4k for a full respray.
i ended up elsewhere and had mentioned to my new painter about getting a quote from them
he laughed and said yea, they say 4k but when you go to collect it, somethings happened and they always seems to just quadruple the original quote.
Get to your solicitor @Chris tii

Andy55

RMS Regular
OP
Andy55
Sorry for hijacking and depressing the hell out of your thread. Lol.
No worries at all! It’s always good to hear other people’s experience with companies, both good and bad. Hope you’re able to get something resolved with them

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
£1500 to £6500 is simply unacceptable without prior notice.

They are nothing short of unprofessional if they just go ahead and carry out that level of additional work without speaking to their customer first.

Legally they're as fooked as you as they have no trail of discussions re price.

I would leave it to my solicitor to sort and prepare myself for a battle.

Jecks

RMS Regular
No way of just going and taking the car? Spare key?
Tel them you forward a cheque then try to sort things , at least you would have the upper hand with your car back

Ridiculous behaviour. It’s a wonder they are still robbing people if they have a history of this

Eamo_vxr

RMS Regular
Drives
Slow and low!
Disgraceful. Seems to be a trend with these "restoration" type places, like they cant be arsed and they're doing you a favour, or costs mounting up beyond the original quote.

They seem to have a history doing this, so they'll be well versed. If your getting nowhere with them at the place, find out where he lives and call to his house and argue the point there, they dont like it when it comes home. Basically give him hell until you get what you want. Or ring the police on 101 and ask for advice. Or get to a solicitor asap.

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
Disgraceful. Seems to be a trend with these "restoration" type places, like they cant be arsed and they're doing you a favour, or costs mounting up beyond the original quote.

They seem to have a history doing this, so they'll be well versed. If your getting nowhere with them at the place, find out where he lives and call to his house and argue the point there, they dont like it when it comes home. Basically give him hell until you get what you want. Or ring the police on 101 and ask for advice. Or get to a solicitor asap.
Ring 101? Don’t waste the polices time, it’s a civil matter.

Terry

RMS Regular
Drives
Carefully
If it were me I wouldn’t speak with them anymore except through emails and/or solicitor. I can’t imagine any conversation where they drop the price to a reasonable amount.

I would send an email that outlines your previous post re original quote, change in price and money paid (include the dates and people you spoke to, plus did you get a receipt at that stage?). Ask for a breakdown of the cost into labour/parts/materials and why they didn’t keep you informed as to the spiralling costs.

Depending on the response you get, take it to a solicitor for advice. If they don’t respond or state that there was no such quote / agreement then I imagine it could be harder to sort out. However if they do respond with any answer that doesn’t immediately challenge your version of events, then I’d like to think you may have a stronger leg to stand on without getting in to debates over single party consent & recordings.

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
That is absolutely insane. Defo get a solicitor on the case ASAP as it is nothing more than being a total con artist and if they’ve previous form for it someone needs to stop them.

I can’t actually believe that ! Mental

56oval

RMS Regular
This is nuts, and seems to be indicative of the current culture. I know 2 cars that have been painted in the last year. Nothing special like a ferrari , or performance marque. All restoration work done, highest standard possible, literally lay the paint on, no grinding or straightening work. Just prime it, remedy any minor defects then paint it.

20 grand.

20 f*cking grand to " Paint " a beetle.

Jesus wept.

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
I’m sorry but two things, whoever is quoting these prices is clearly on drugs or has zero moral compass
Secondly, whoever is actually paying these prices needs to take a long hard look at themselves !

I know guy paying less to have an entire truck done with chassis and airbrushing as well !

Eamo_vxr

RMS Regular
Drives
Slow and low!
Ring 101? Don’t waste the polices time, it’s a civil matter.

Wasting their time would be a 999 call.

101 is for
  • General Police Enquiries
  • Looking to speak with a specific officer
  • A Crime or Incident that has already happened and there is no emergency
  • Minor traffic collisions that do not require an emergency response.
  • Passing information on criminality (for example drugs or anti-social behaviour
No harm ringing them and asking for advice, it could be argued that this is fraud and potentially theft.

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
Ack you’ve became a real hate everything you know ! Just because some crap solicitor screwed you doesn’t mean everyone in this country is out to do the same !!!
lol it’s true though wasn’t just the culchie solicitor, who incidentally isn’t taking calls from our solicitor anymore and snail mail is they only way ours can communicate with him, probably that clown mentioned on here that didn’t have a computer. I’m not the only one I bet. Somebody recommended a car dealer to me once as well, that didn’t turn out great either. 😂

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
As others have said that is insanity, especially considering I've just had my own car painted recently.

I was given a quote which I expected to be slightly lower than what the final price was, I arrive to collect the car and it's bang on quoted price, however I also learned the painter used twice as much paint as he initially thought he would need, he said most good painters order more than they think they need, he did and then ordered the same again 😂

I asked if he factored it into the price as I didn't want to be paying less than the job was worth to which he replied it was his mistake and he was happy with the price quoted....

For just your bay to be 4 nearly 5 times what I paid for a large car to have a lot of paint done is perplexing.

Hopefully you get it resolved, maybe steer as much business away from them too if they do this kind of thing regularly