MK4 Golf GTI 1.8t

PieMan1

RMS Regular
I'm on the hunt now for a set of 17s, particularly TT Comps or VRS Spiders. I'm a firm believer though if a MK4 has a Anni kit then it's 18s or bust looks wise! There was definitely a noticeable difference in drivability between the 18 Bolas and the 16 Montreals

Rossios,

I have a set of TT Comps, 17's , need refurbed and tyres . if youre interested drop me a PM.

Thanks.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
I'm on the hunt now for a set of 17s, particularly TT Comps or VRS Spiders. I'm a firm believer though if a MK4 has a Anni kit then it's 18s or bust looks wise! There was definitely a noticeable difference in drivability between the 18 Bolas and the 16 Montreals

Evolos always look well on a Mk4.

r16vka

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi 80 V6
Saw this outside at dubshed thought it looked smart in the green on the wheels, makes a change from the usual silvers and blacks etc (y)

Black anni indoors was me :oops:

Ive a whiteline front arb in the garage somewhere if your still looking an upgrade?

Rossios

RMS Regular
OP
Rossios
Saw this outside at dubshed thought it looked smart in the green on the wheels, makes a change from the usual silvers and blacks etc (y)

Black anni indoors was me :oops:

Ive a whiteline front arb in the garage somewhere if your still looking an upgrade?
Ah yes I loved it, such a clean wee car it's a credit!
Not right now just, but when I get a set of wheels sorted I may take you up on that

Rossios

RMS Regular
OP
Rossios
Took the car to Scotland on the Stenaline deal last minute with a couple of boys and it was such a good day, roads around there are exceptional in places, defintely planning to go back and maybe book a night or two somewhere!

"Can I speak to the owner"

Car did great and returned brilliant MPG, raised it up by around 15mm on all corners to try and make the journey abit more comfortable.
While waiting for the port at Cairnryan I checked the oil and my dipstick tube broke 😟, I didn't think any bits of plastic fell down into the sump so a mate of mine had brought his toolbox and we put some plastic around the hole to keep the PCV system happy, new one ordered next day and i'll change the oil pick up aswell for piece of mind.
Highly recommend anyone to do this trip if it comes up again, just don't really on 20 year old plastic!

Deleted member 13907

D
Nice motor. My wee brother had one of these as his first car a few years back (on my dad's insurance at the time).
I loved taking it out for a blast.

Rossios

RMS Regular
OP
Rossios
Car is looking great! Had the same thing happen with the dipstick on my Passat, real pain when it happens but was handy sorted.

Also, my friend has been loving the wheels 👍🏻
Love it! Was actually chatting to a mate about his Bora the other day, so refreshing to see a 4mo rather than all the TDIs we are blessed with in Tyrone (I love a good PD130 though!) , wheels definitely suit 10x on his car
Nice motor. My wee brother had one of these as his first car a few years back (on my dad's insurance at the time).
I loved taking it out for a blast.
I think they are a textbook example of 'drive a slow car fast'. I've only been driving just over 2 years and seems to be perfect for my current experience of driving/capabilities with the power it has

Deleted member 13907

D
I think they are a textbook example of 'drive a slow car fast'. I've only been driving just over 2 years and seems to be perfect for my current experience of driving/capabilities with the power it has
Similar to a bit of a debate in one of the other threads at the moment - it's all good, usable power.
I found it was one of those cars that could be really pushed on in places and while you may not have been doing ridiculous speeds it felt fast and handled well.

Rossios

RMS Regular
OP
Rossios
Not much been happening with the car, at this stage I'm just waiting for the k03 to kick the bucket so I can get the k03s on and get a tune.

Was checking my oil and seen oil threw up the side of the rocker cover, initially thought the cam chain tensioner gasket had failed and my stomach dropped but thankfully it was just the cam cover breather hose had split :relieved:, put some creation motorsport hoses on and called it a day. Also got the dipstick replaced, it seems VW revised it down the line with something that wasn't made of cardboard!

Would also like to get some sort of bracket and heat shield made up for the Ramair because it's not really secure right now. Also I'll probably do the injector seals in the next week or so and get my mate to spray the inlet manifold the same colour as the rocker cover. Other than that there's been no updates, it needs another service in 2k so if the k03 doesn't go before then i'll get a k03s and progress with the swap (provided the mechanic is free, I love doing small jobs on the car but something as big as that I won't be tackling it myself!).

I suspect it will be the last year for shows, after driving to Scotland my bonnet and bumper got dashed with stonechips, so a near full front respray is going to be needed in the near future. Also still on the lookout for TT comps and a cream interior8-(. Still does the job as a daily mile muncher.

I also haven't even looked at the black GTI yet, just start it every weekend, would love it commit more time to it and get it MOT'd but just have alot going on at home right now, my friend expressed interest in it to put the AGU in his MK2 but he's only after getting married so thats been pushed aside! Next time I book a few days off work i'll use it to go over the wee car with a fine tooth comb and decide what I'm going to do with it. I'd love to take the k03s off it along with a few other bits but unfortunately don't have room to break a car right now and I know once I take it apart it won't see the roads again!8o|

Cheers and hope everyone had a great bank holiday weekend (y)

Attachments

• 7141cbb3-4797-43ba-87ea-be4bfdc3975f.jpg
    7141cbb3-4797-43ba-87ea-be4bfdc3975f.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 173

Rossios

RMS Regular
OP
Rossios
So after putting it off for months I finally took on the job of replacing the heater matrix.
I changed one before on one of my MK2 Golfs so I was comparing the job to that, but I didn't realise how big of a handlin' it was going to be!

1568747920271.png
1568747970925.png

I enlisted the help of my bravest friend to keep me sane during the process, I was to change the heater matrix, and he offered to do some engine work; paint inlet manifold, change coolant hoses and a general clean up. All in all I did it over the course of 3 days on and off, probably around 12 hours of actual work to strip it down, change the matrix and build it back up again, ensuring to label and mark everything.

1568748235626.png
69220782_907289732957976_4054484925976412160_n.jpg
69107831_409162659736544_3462950303047876608_n.jpg

The culprit was finally out and changed, the most difficult part being probably stripping down and rebuilding the area around the steering column, handling the airbags was not fun either mind you!

69238918_1865790033524161_6004744736601014272_n.jpg
67969370_366789774250988_2794958381712932864_n.jpg

I also got new wheels! My 2 back wheels had 2 slow punctures and tyres were close to the mark, so my fathers friend was selling these BBS CH reps with all good tyres for next to nothing, so after complaing in a previous post about 18 inch replica wheels, I completely contradicted myself and got some! 8-( They certainly won't be staying with me long but I just can't find wheels for sale I like, i've been tempted a few times to get adapters!

1568748711177.png

1568748746633.png

Really happy with the way things turned out, starting to enjoy driving and taking an interest again so let's hope nothing major breaks on me! I also got my other MK4 AGU lifted by my mate so down to one Golf (for now!). K03s leftover from my friends Polo build has also been acquired so i'll need to look about getting it rebuilt and fired on the car, I just have 2 other hobbies at the minute draining my wallet aswell as the car!

I also took the car down to Autofest in Omagh over the weekend, with it only being up the road I couldn't say no, I got good interest with the car and it was great to catch up with old friends! The show definitely exceeded my expectations, it's just a pity the weather didn't hold up, I didn't take any pictures myself of the car at the show but I found this on Facebook
1568749481290.png

Once winter sets in i'll have to get the front bumper resprayed, it's a shame as it's the only part of the paint letting the wee car down!
Thanks for looking and I hope everyone had a great summer

Attachments

• 1568749482575.png
    1568749482575.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 164

Rossios

RMS Regular
OP
Rossios
I didn't do much to the car over winter, it thankfully gave me few problems.
With the good weather quickly approaching, I've decided to pull the finger out and try to get it tidied up for shows and meets this year as I didn't get to as many as I wanted last year(y).

First thing to report is @HILL9N3GTI kindy gifted me his old K03s for my car, I don't have any mad rush to install it in my car but will get it rebuilt soon so when the inevitable happens (k03 exploding), I have a substitute to drop in.

1581278155273.png

I also acquired a set of wheels and picked up a genuine set of BBS CH002, when comparing them to the replicas I had on the difference is really noticeable, they are also wider and have a lower ET than the replicas so really widen the stance of the car, I got them last month but haven't looked at them yet as I will get them fully refurbished, so I've been driving about on my 16 inch Montreal IIs for a while and the added comfort of the massive tyre is nice :oops:.
1581279033208.png
1581279127226.png

I've been in a slight dilemma with tyres, I like the height the car is at (with the exception of raising the rear maybe 10mm.), I'm happy with the way it sits at the front but the new wheel is very wide and I have a fear of hitting a bad bump/hole and the wheel eating my arch. The proper tyre to go for would be 225/40/18, but I'm thinking of 225/35/18 while trying to ignore comfort and rolling radius but we will see what happens!

Next up was painting. I mentioned previously in this thread I think that I would like to get the front end resprayed if I was going to take it to shows in 2020 as i'd amassed quite an assortment of stone chips, so after getting my owners manual to get the paint code to get the ball rolling with the respray, I discovered... It was due a timing belt8-(.
That obviously had to get priority so I gathered a pile of parts including some other bits I wanted done to the car, and with the MOT booked for the 24th Feb I had to get it looked over for it.

1581279646502.png

The price of the parts including labour is going to be close to the price I originally paid for the whole car, and I have a big holiday in a few weeks, so unfortunately I think for now I will attempt to touch up the worst offending stone chips and leave the rest for now.
Been thinking of installing a boost gauge in the car, and also Pre 2001 style number plates seeing as it's 2000, but not sure if it would be tacky or not^o).
I also pulled up to the house one day after work and switching it off I heard a hissing sound coming from the engine, turns out my OEM- expansion tank cap had stopped sealing, so I ordered a Meyle equivalent which fixed the problem. Other than that I plan to buy a 4motion/GTTDI splitter next week and once the wheels are on it will probably be me for another while, provided it doesn't break again! :cool:

1581279984710.png
1581281258598.png

Took the car for a blast before I left it to the mechanic yesterday and drove up a mountain, not the wisest choice with Ciara upon us! I booked my MOT 2 weeks ago and no sign of a cancellation or extension yet so maybe they are going through with mine, we will find out in 2 weeks.

Thanks to both my friends and forum members for helping me get my car where it is, cheers for reading!

HILL9N3GTI

RMS Regular
good read mate glad to see your interest has been reignited again cant wait for all off us and show season fingers crossed this will be a good year

and your welcome for the turbo :kissing_heart: lol

Deleted member 13907

D
I didn't do much to the car over winter, it thankfully gave me few problems.
With the good weather quickly approaching, I've decided to pull the finger out and try to get it tidied up for shows and meets this year as I didn't get to as many as I wanted last year(y).

First thing to report is @HILL9N3GTI kindy gifted me his old K03s for my car, I don't have any mad rush to install it in my car but will get it rebuilt soon so when the inevitable happens (k03 exploding), I have a substitute to drop in.

View attachment 265306
I also acquired a set of wheels and picked up a genuine set of BBS CH002, when comparing them to the replicas I had on the difference is really noticeable, they are also wider and have a lower ET than the replicas so really widen the stance of the car, I got them last month but haven't looked at them yet as I will get them fully refurbished, so I've been driving about on my 16 inch Montreal IIs for a while and the added comfort of the massive tyre is nice :oops:.
View attachment 265307View attachment 265308
I've been in a slight dilemma with tyres, I like the height the car is at (with the exception of raising the rear maybe 10mm.), I'm happy with the way it sits at the front but the new wheel is very wide and I have a fear of hitting a bad bump/hole and the wheel eating my arch. The proper tyre to go for would be 225/40/18, but I'm thinking of 225/35/18 while trying to ignore comfort and rolling radius but we will see what happens!

Next up was painting. I mentioned previously in this thread I think that I would like to get the front end resprayed if I was going to take it to shows in 2020 as i'd amassed quite an assortment of stone chips, so after getting my owners manual to get the paint code to get the ball rolling with the respray, I discovered... It was due a timing belt8-(.
That obviously had to get priority so I gathered a pile of parts including some other bits I wanted done to the car, and with the MOT booked for the 24th Feb I had to get it looked over for it.

View attachment 265309
The price of the parts including labour is going to be close to the price I originally paid for the whole car, and I have a big holiday in a few weeks, so unfortunately I think for now I will attempt to touch up the worst offending stone chips and leave the rest for now.
Been thinking of installing a boost gauge in the car, and also Pre 2001 style number plates seeing as it's 2000, but not sure if it would be tacky or not^o).
I also pulled up to the house one day after work and switching it off I heard a hissing sound coming from the engine, turns out my OEM- expansion tank cap had stopped sealing, so I ordered a Meyle equivalent which fixed the problem. Other than that I plan to buy a 4motion/GTTDI splitter next week and once the wheels are on it will probably be me for another while, provided it doesn't break again! :cool:

View attachment 265311View attachment 265316

Took the car for a blast before I left it to the mechanic yesterday and drove up a mountain, not the wisest choice with Ciara upon us! I booked my MOT 2 weeks ago and no sign of a cancellation or extension yet so maybe they are going through with mine, we will find out in 2 weeks.

Thanks to both my friends and forum members for helping me get my car where it is, cheers for reading!
Always like reading this thread.
Is that 'Pigeon Top?'

Rossios

RMS Regular
OP
Rossios
With unfortunately postponing booking a trip to Japan I had some cash so I decided to treat the car.
In preparation for the new turbo I looked about a new intercooler, after trawling old 1.8t forums for hours I decided upon a uprated side mount, for a few reasons;
- I didn't want to modify the crash bar or bumper
- My final power goal for the car is 200bhp/200lbft so I didn't really require a full front mount
- I don't really like the routing of the piping for a front mount the way it goes over the top of the engine, yes people use twin pass mounts which are neater, but the cheaper ones aren't meant to be worth it and I wasn't going to spend £400~ on an airtec.
- Finally installing a full front mount would probably require a remap of some sort, which i'm not quite ready for.

So I decided on this :oops:
1582496635045.png

It's a direnza side mount, perfectly capable of my goals with the cars so should do the job.

I unfortunately couldn't source a used 4motion splitter for the car, so I just ordered a new one off Awesome GTI.
1582497758028.png

The idea was to take the bumper off, install the new splitter and also has the extra room to install the intercooler.

The MOT is first thing in the morning and I spent pretty much all weekend getting it ready for it. I'm afraid it will fail on the headlight adjustment but we will see!
I will update tomorrow with pictures of the install of the splitter and IC, I don't have them as they are on my friends phone.

Cheers!