Whats going on with MOT Availability at the moment?

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
Agree that there should be some sort of reminders sent by text or whatever, some people will be just forgetting about the appointment.
One of the biggest problems of the world today, people not taking responsibility for themselves! They send out reminders to book, an email followed by a letter to confirm the booking, why can people not make their own arrangements to remind themselves??
I'm a great believer that warning labels should be removed and let natural progression solve the problem, common sense would return within 5 years, I'm sure of it!!

r16vka

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi 80 V6
Dicovered on sunday that the wifes cars has been out of mot since Jan! Bought last july from london, assumed there would be a letter out when mot was due, but nothing ever came so i'd not gave it any thought. Tax was up end june, so went to tax it to finr mot expired 12jan :eek:

Booked ealriest appointment i could get which was 19th Aug in boucher. yesterday morning got it changed to a 30th July cancellation. Then tried again at 10am searching further afield and got a 14.40 appointment in Downpatrick. So flew down and it sailed through.

Just need to keep trying for cancelations and they do pop up, especially if your able to travel!

RevT

RMS Regular
Loads of ones listed for Coleraine on 13th July now for anyone that is interested.

clrrk

RMS Regular
Drives
S14A

I don't know if you have to pay for this but they will find you a cancellation.

I used it yesterday, soonest MOT I could get in Mallusk was 1st September, got me a cancellation booked for the 31st July. Well worth the fiver!

407_hdi

RMS Regular
Drives
E-Class / Z4
Loads of ones listed for Coleraine on 13th July now for anyone that is interested.
Thanks for the heads up - just booked in. Sucks balls going trekking up from Bangor but at least it gets me sorted this side of September

PaddyCvr

RMS Regular
Drives
Lancer/Mazda
Used that MOT NI - Automatic Cancellation Booker site on another card (just to be safe) anyway, booked it initially on the 25th of May and the closest date I got was 17th of July. MOT is up on the 5th. Put my details onto the site this morning. Just got an email there from DVA confirming my booking for the 6th. £5 spent. Can't beat it. Here's hoping!

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
One of the biggest problems of the world today, people not taking responsibility for themselves! They send out reminders to book, an email followed by a letter to confirm the booking, why can people not make their own arrangements to remind themselves??
I'm a great believer that warning labels should be removed and let natural progression solve the problem, common sense would return within 5 years, I'm sure of it!!

They get a reminder 12 months ahead !! That's being pretty generous ? lol

Smick

RMS Regular
Drives
CLA45
If I've spent £30 on an appointment I make damn sure I don't miss it. People must have money to burn!!

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
Plus that means the DVLA received £69,000 for doing absolutely nothing. I wouldn't be complaining.
Hardly - the men still need paid, the equipment is still sitting there, and now they are having to pay overtime to clear a backload.

dddrrift

RMS Regular
£5er for something that takes 30 seconds? lol you know what they say, a fool and their money are easy parted....

Bryan

RMS Regular
Hardly - the men still need paid, the equipment is still sitting there, and now they are having to pay overtime to clear a backload.

The guys were going to be there to do a day's work... they were always going to get paid anyway. If you really want to get into the detail there wasn't any wear and tear on the brake/shock machine or the lifts etc. If it was the private sector you'd give someone maybe 5/10 minutes and if they didn't turn up crack on with the next one. These days if you rock up early to your test time they don't seem to bring you in any earlier despite clearly having a yarn at the door.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
£5er for something that takes 30 seconds? lol you know what they say, a fool and their money are easy parted....

It doesn't take 30 seconds unless you are extremely lucky though. It could take hours of refreshing and selecting different locations to get the right centre at the right time, and unless you're really quick you could lose that too.

Still wouldn't use it though lol

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
The guys were going to be there to do a day's work... they were always going to get paid anyway. If you really want to get into the detail there wasn't any wear and tear on the brake/shock machine or the lifts etc. If it was the private sector you'd give someone maybe 5/10 minutes and if they didn't turn up crack on with the next one. These days if you rock up early to your test time they don't seem to bring you in any earlier despite clearly having a yarn at the door.
When I was spending 12 1/2 hours testing 30+ cars I was glad of a 5 min break at the door before bringing the next one in!

61_Vert

RMS Regular
Drives
Octy 5e vRS tDI
Used that MOT NI - Automatic Cancellation Booker site on another card (just to be safe) anyway, booked it initially on the 25th of May and the closest date I got was 17th of July. MOT is up on the 5th. Put my details onto the site this morning. Just got an email there from DVA confirming my booking for the 6th. £5 spent. Can't beat it. Here's hoping!

I gave it a go... i booked 2 days after receiving the letter, closest date i could get was 15 days AFTER my MOT expiry. total joke! i read something about police announcing relaxed regulations but i would guess its VOSA carrying out enforcement.

edit: wow that was fast, 15 mins it took to find and register a new cancellation...i am impressed.

Last edited:

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I gave it a go... i booked 2 days after receiving the letter, closest date i could get was 15 days AFTER my MOT expiry. total joke! i read something about police announcing relaxed regulations but i would guess its VOSA carrying out enforcement.

edit: wow that was fast, 15 mins it took to find and register a new cancellation...i am impressed.

I doubt VOSA would do much, they havent existed on the mainland for years, and never existed here.

As for muppets not attending, of course it creates a backlog.

If 2300 people failed to turn up in June as some news reports have stated....that'll be perhaps another 2300 trying to book another appointment the next month, as well as those normally due in July.

Of course 2300 not attending should open up their system to speed things along too to create more space, rather than sitting waiting for people who dont show up and leaving those space open.

As others have said too, I've arrived early on a few occasions...and despite being first vehicle in the queue, sometimes havent been called until my time, or in some cases even later.
Hardly makes much sense either

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
government workers from the top down...anything to avoid a days work

NICS Wide - Not just DVA.....

Also how would you suggest DVA open the appointments of those who do not attend??

The examiners are not allowed to bring cars in before others are due, for example if your appointment is 15.20 and you are there from 14.50 and the 15.00 hasn't appeared or is 5 mins late, which then leaves you 5 mins later for your appointment, you can sure as $hit if the 15.00 which was 5 min late and kept waiting for 10 mins (because the examiner brount the 15.20 in before them) would be in complaining about having to wait 10 mins because he couldn't be arsed to be there early or on time.