Range Rover keyless theft

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Watched this on Facebook, think it was Nolan show shared. Looked a bit amateur, see other ones where it’s done and dusted within a 30 seconds-minute or something. Still, a joke that modern cars still go walkies.
Apparently it’s a nightmare getting insured on certain desirable cars like RS audi’s Etc around big mainland cities because there going missing at such a rate

I know someone will say just store the keys in a pouch etc but that’s lame.
Cant beat the old disklock lol

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
Stupidly easy to do and the kit costs buttons. Been like this for years and manufacturers apparently just don’t care

pizza85

RMS Regular
Drives
E92 M3
Surely the car could turn off when the key is out of range? Sure who would want to get to their destination and realise they didn't have the key anyway? Seems like an obvious and easy fix

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
Surely the car could turn off when the key is out of range? Sure who would want to get to their destination and realise they didn't have the key anyway? Seems like an obvious and easy fix
Bit dangerous though you driving along and the car cuts out!

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom

Could be entirely wrong, but think they scan and pickup the signal the key gives off, then make a new key on the spot or at least the actual key no longer has any part to play

pizza85

RMS Regular
Drives
E92 M3
Could be entirely wrong, but think they scan and pickup the signal the key gives off, then make a new key on the spot or at least the actual key no longer has any part to play
If that's the case then fair enough. I thought they basically relayed the sensor to get it opened and started then they were away, but if for example they stalled down the road then they'd be screwed.

kennymcg

RMS Regular
Can some of the legal eagles answer this? Say the owner saw them from an upstairs window and didn’t disturb them. Then hung the crossbow out the window and fired a bolt into a nice meaty part of the thigh. Most probably he would then be the one completely in the wrong?

bigpupcooper

RMS Regular
Drives
m135i, m40i
What if the battery goes dead in the key half way round a roundabout.
I had an anti-hijack kill switch in my s2000, the odd time I'd fat finger pressing it and the car fuel pump cut out 30 secs after start, thankfully it gave you a warning, but remember not being able to find the hidden switch and it packing in on a junction. :-(

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Stupidly easy to do and the kit costs buttons. Been like this for years and manufacturers apparently just don’t care

Law dont seem too bothered either, or they'd be all over it. Wouldnt they ? Major crime, huge sums on money involved, and distress to owners etc. It should be a high priority as should all car theft.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Can some of the legal eagles answer this? Say the owner saw them from an upstairs window and didn’t disturb them. Then hung the crossbow out the window and fired a bolt into a nice meaty part of the thigh. Most probably he would then be the one completely in the wrong?

Doesnt need any legal eagle to tell you that is bordering on attempted murder, and in no way whatsoever justifiable or proportionate.

However well deserved....

kennymcg

RMS Regular
Doesnt need any legal eagle to tell you that is bordering on attempted murder, and in no way whatsoever justifiable or proportionate.

However well deserved....
Sorry but I think it is very much justifiable. These vermin get away with the likes all the time and untouched by the law.

Modmedia

RMS Regular
Drives
Tesla M3P

Be better off shooting them in the head.

martybelfastsri

RMS Regular
Drives
all sorts
only a matter of time before its as big a problem here as uk .....actually putting me off making a newish performance car purchase as its as much a risk as leaving my 1991 astra sxi in my drive each night which i wouldnt even consider

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
If that's the case then fair enough. I thought they basically relayed the sensor to get it opened and started then they were away, but if for example they stalled down the road then they'd be screwed.

Apparently on the E series BMW’s they made a new key from the OBD port but on the newer stuff its a relay so is boosting the signal of the key from in the house.

As much as I hate that Shmee **** but he had a good video showing a company that kills the key and it only activates when it gets close to the car which stops the relay attacks.

RCT

RMS Regular
There’s a tilt switch in some of the new keyless fobs. Means if you haven’t moved ie walked up to the car then it won’t open. So if it sat for a period of time on the kitchen table then if it were cloned it wouldn’t open the car.

@pizza85 I know that the Peugeot keyless ones won’t let you switch it off. I left my bag off in work one morning and left my key in it, went up to park it in the car park a bit away and it wouldn’t switch off. I’d knew what i’d done but the only way I turned it off was to stall it, as it was a manual car. Had to go back and get the key to turn the ignition off completely.

avo5021

RMS Regular
I’ve driven without keys in the car from Newtownabbey along the M2/M3 to Belfast before and the vehicle didn’t cut out, drive back and picked up the keys from the fuel pump where I’d left them.

Keyless ignition but obviously not going to say which make of car it was lol